Thread: Stuffing tube question

Default Stuffing tube question

I have three sv27's and all three of them have a one-piece stuffing tube that runs from the motor shaft right through to the end of the stringer/strut --- not sure of the difference. The set up makes it all but impossible to adjust the strut angle as described in the manual.

I am wondering about cutting the tube off flush at the transom and using the remainder as a bushing insert in the strut itself. I would add a small flair at the output end of the bushing.

Then I noticed this

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqub7884

advertised on a couple of websites that carry Aquacraft parts and wondered if the separate bushing was an upgrade of the original design.

Would appreciate any information/insight on the matter.

Thanks
    Last edited by johnmaclean; 02-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Holy cow. You are one fo the few guys paying attention! Or smart enough to see that issue. I have been stating for the last 3 years that the best method for an adjustable SV27 stinger to be effective is to cut the stuffing tube off at the transom and modify the bushing arraingement with the stuffing tube.

Here is how I did my SV27's if you bought one from me or listened to what I have been saying. Trim the stuffing tube flush with the transom. Get a new teflon liner so that its one piece. Stock SV27 liners seem to always come on 2 pieces. Change that. Next take an appropriate section of stuffing tubing and solder some "meat" (outer material buildup) to the outside so that when it fits tight into the stinger it doesnt want to rotate. Now you have a stinger that can move any direction you want, be waterproof so no water gets around it and doesnt rotate as the friction from the flex assy wants to impart energy into the bushing assy.

Here is the kicker though. Once you have set the stinger to perform well, chances are very small you will want to move it any direction for the future. If you have "found" the right motor, right speedo and batterie adjustment its no longer necessary. Still. Its a quality upgrade that few even grasp or visualize. Consider yourself among the few who saw the problem right from the start. You have potential grasshopper!

John
    Change is the one Constant

Yep, I'm forging ahead with the plan. A buddy of mine has been building nitro boats for quite a long time and is not entirely sure that a teflon liner is neccessary in the stuffing tube. He was with me when I removed the first stuffing tube and was surprised to find a liner that didn't go the full length of the stuffing tube.

I had read about the liners but have never felt it in there in all the times I've removed and greased the flex shaft after each run.