Thread: 5S problem

Default 5S problem

I ran for the 1st time yesterday on 5S, Turnigy 5000mah 3S 20C with a Reedy 2S 5000 20C. Im running an external bec w/ the red wire disconnected from the ESC. Everything went fine, temps were 100 and 97 on batts, esc and motor were below 110. I peaked the batts back out this am but this time tried to pair the 3S Turnigy w/ a new 2S turnigy, 5000 30C... rather then the 2S 20C. It armed and when hitting the throttle it only goes about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then immediately goes to 0 throttle. I tried re-programming.. 3 times. I tried re-arming, I tried hooking the ESC's bec back up, I tried new batts in the controller for some reason.. Then I tried the Reedy 2S in place of the turnigy 2S, still nothing, then I went to 4S and everything worked fine.. back to 5S and it wont work?

Whats the deal?

Is the cap on the ESC puffy or leaking?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Try easing into the throttle, remember the bj esc has that no load cuttoff for when the boats out of the water. I had problems with this with one in a n sv- and upon toss in it would stall the motor (cut-out) but if i ease in its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    Try easing into the throttle, remember the bj esc has that no load cuttoff for when the boats out of the water. I had problems with this with one in a n sv- and upon toss in it would stall the motor (cut-out) but if i ease in its fine.
    You rock.. That works just fine. I didnt notice it doing that the first time I ran it. I just tried rolling into the throttle slowly on the bench and it took it. Gotta get back to a side job so I wont be able to get her wet til tomorrow. I will keep you posted

Thanks!!
    Scott

also you dont need an external bec. been running mine for a year strait w/ no probs

also you dont need an external bec. been running mine for a year strait w/ no probs
    Hmm, is it worth the insurance to keep one in? I cant afford for something to go wrong. What happens when, for instance, an ESC that requires an EBEC say above 4S. And you run 6S without one? Are you just puting too much voltage to the reciever or what?

6S, Im going to make this my avatar (see pic) and we can be "2 cool cats"...
    Attached Images Attached Images

On some ESC's (ones without "switch mode" BEC) if you exceed the recommended voltage with the BEC enabled, it will get "glitchy" or may even damage the ESC. Some others on this forum have had problems with the BEC on 5S and above on both the SV27 and the Proboat ESC's.
    Government Moto:

I think Im going to hang on to it for insurance. Id rather not risk it. The boat could use the little extra weight anyway....

You might want to throw on a couple caps to that ESC as well.
    Government Moto:

yeah the 50v 1000 uf ones @ rad shack work great

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    You might want to throw on a couple caps to that ESC as well.
    You mean replace what it has on it?

the bj uses 50v caps- check out your stock esc

no add to them

Im so lost right now. Add more caps to it? What do you do, pick all the sealant out and tac onto the existing leads on the caps? That sounds like a PITA w/ this ESC.

no,no just solder the leads onto the + and - wires of the ecs as close to the board as possible. leave the other ones alone. they wil no longer have to work as hard

no,no just solder the leads onto the + and - wires of the ecs as close to the board as possible. leave the other ones alone. they wil no longer have to work as hard

I see, so on the heavier, 12ga or whatever it is, wire that leads to the batt connections?

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    I see, so on the heavier, 12ga or whatever it is, wire that leads to the batt connections?
    Check this out and read all the way to the end...
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=9828
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Thanks Lipo, I got it now.

6S I like the way you did your "clean" install. However, I think for the PB ESC, the bullet idea may be easier since the ends are all sealed up nice and tight. And although it may not be as clean, it would be easier to service in the long run.

So I just get the same rating caps and Im good w/ added security? I may hit the shack tomorrow...

You can put (2) 1000uf caps on there in parallel. It will lower the total ESR and not work the caps as much. Just make sure you have everything sealed up.
    Government Moto:

ESR is the resistance of the Cap isnt it?

Equivalent Series Resistance.

http://www.johansontechnology.com/en...explained.html

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3d.htm

The links above are just informational, but a good read if you want to learn a little about electronics basics.
    Government Moto:

Wow, that brought back Highschool Electronics class memories....

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Thanks Lipo, I got it now.

6S I like the way you did your "clean" install. However, I think for the PB ESC, the bullet idea may be easier since the ends are all sealed up nice and tight. And although it may not be as clean, it would be easier to service in the long run.

So I just get the same rating caps and Im good w/ added security? I may hit the shack tomorrow...
    what do you mean, i dont remember picturing my installs

what do you mean, i dont remember picturing my installs
    Sorry, it was late... It was Lipo Powers clean install in the link he posted.

6S, Im sure your are tidey as well...

Yes the way i do it i believe is cleaner, here the deal. On the ul-1 esc's i get two of the 35v 1000uf caps and twist the + and - leads together, then tin. Strip a small amoumt of wire off the battery leads closest to the esc. Then solder the two cap bank on with the caps pointing to the connectors then zip tie the wires and the caps together. Similar to the etti cap bank system. On the bj esc's since they r 50v caps and the ones at radio shack are much bigger i do it with one of the 1000uf caps and they have two on there stock and not known to have problems.

Great! Thanks for the info on this. I will be adding them asap.

I just ran the 5S it she purred like a kitten. I was having some issues w/ my receiver pack, so I eleiminated it and ran it off the BEC from the PB ESC. Ran like a champ!