PDA

View Full Version : West systems

kfxguy
03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
I was messing with carbon fiber and epoxies before I joined this forum and before I started building boats. I started using epoxy called max clr and then another one from Cj composites. They both did their job no doubt but I didn't realize there was better out there. Of course it was easier to swallow $30-$40 at a time than bite off more than 100 bucks getting started with the west systems, but do far my opinion is its worth with. Here's the advantages I've noticed already:

-air bubbles escape faster
-the finish comes out smoother with less effort
-the viscosity is just right to where it soaks in easier but yet doesn't run excessively
-the pump setup is very nice. Made things go much easier. For example, I needed more epoxy when doing an inlay last and grabbing a cup and pumping the right amount in quickly was very nice. Very nice indeed. I measured it a few times on my scale and it comes out just right so far. Nice feature
-you can buy different hardeners to change setup time. Nice feature there too. Think about it this way, I can replace pretty much all of the different epoxies I have now in turn saving money
-overall I'm pretty pleased with the results. I layed up a single layer last night and with no bagging or pressure on it, I was able to squeegee the excess epoxy out and make a nice piece. I'll post a pic of it later.

TheShaddix
03-08-2015, 03:18 PM
West system is great! But everything you listed about it, well, most quality marine resins have those properties! West system is a well known name and is a quality product, but using as much resin as some of us are and paying 100 for 105 & 207, that ends up taking a bit of fun out of the hobby, in my opinion, especially when you use it to pour into the transom just as a filler. Starts to become like "oh how much is this pour going to eat up in costs...". For example, I bought one gallon of similar resin (4 times the size you get) from composite envisions and it cost 80 shipped. Before you commit to west, try that or ask them for a small sample of it. You'll be surprised! I also used to use west system and it was quality for sure. Seeing a lot of people using it nearly convinced me to jump the ship again for no reason. But they are all so similar at that level yet one charges way more because it's well known with a catchy name. And you can still use west additives with any resin, although you can find the same thing of silica on ebay for a fraction of the cost. And as I mentioned before, I would not rely on those pumps so much. You can and should always trust a scale.

Luck as a Constant
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM
West is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfxguy
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Here's a single layer I made. Very flexible. .013 thick. I'll use this for motor coolers.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/35C74BB3-6ADB-4D96-9E65-CED0C0B64FCB.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/35C74BB3-6ADB-4D96-9E65-CED0C0B64FCB.jpg.html)

Here's the side that wasn't againt the glass. Still looks good tho.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/48092C69-CFBE-4CDF-8C92-16ACCC1C1D1B_1.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/48092C69-CFBE-4CDF-8C92-16ACCC1C1D1B_1.jpg.html)

keithbradley
03-09-2015, 12:08 AM
I agree, West Systems works well and it's quite user friendly. There are also other quality resins out there, and my selection is usually made based on what I'm doing. West Systems is not a good choice for infusion, for example.
I do have to say though...if you're getting resin for 1/4 the price of West Systems, I might question what you're actually getting. Some manufacturers use the term "Epoxy" for resins or products containing resins that may only be 50% epoxy (like some vinylesters). It's actually easy to tell what the resin is by the smell of the lamination when it's cut, but it's not something that can be explained in text.
Also keep in mind that a can of 207 or 209 is a third of a gallon, unlike other hardeners like 205 or 206. This offsets the cost to some degree.

kfxguy
03-09-2015, 12:47 AM
All I know is I was never able to make a sheet of carbon that looked so good so easily. I'm hooked lol. I can't wait to try a multi later piece. I have to get a new piece of glass first. The one I used has scratches on it and my good piece got broken last night.

TheShaddix
03-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Well, I'm not biased towards any particular brand. I just thought the cost of West system was much too steep. Maybe the other stuff I mentioned isn't as good as west based on the smell, what you said about that makes sense. I think I know exactly what you described because I do smell it when I cut the sheets I made, it kind of smells like acrylic paint. I'll give this west system another fair try just to see for myself if it's any different. If it is, I'll take everything I said back and start using it.

kfxguy
03-09-2015, 01:34 AM
Well, I'm not biased towards any particular brand. I just thought the cost of West system was much too steep. Maybe the other stuff I mentioned isn't as good as west based on the smell, what you said about that makes sense. I think I know exactly what you described because I do smell it when I cut the sheets I made, it kind of smells like acrylic paint. I'll give this west system another fair try just to see for myself if it's any different. If it is, I'll take everything I said back and start using it.

No sense in switching back if what your using works for you and your happy with it! Especially if your saving money and it works.

TheShaddix
03-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Well, too late now! Already ordered some 105&207 just to try it out. I believe in whatever is the best, I just need enough convincing! It's like you know the best method to do an inlay that works for you, then someone tells you there is an even better way even though you know damn well yours works too, but you might get better results, you'll want to at least see what it's all about.

kfxguy
03-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Well, too late now! Already ordered some 105&207 just to try it out. I believe in whatever is the best, I just need enough convincing! It's like you know the best method to do an inlay that works for you, then someone tells you there is an even better way even though you know damn well yours works too, but you might get better results, you'll want to at least see what it's all about.

Well no arguing there! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the 105 and 207 for?

TheShaddix
03-09-2015, 02:28 AM
I don't mind at all. Total was 89 bucks, that's for .66 PT 207 and one quart of 105. Don't know if that's a good deal or not, that's all I could find.

tlandauer
03-09-2015, 03:44 AM
I agree, West Systems works well and it's quite user friendly. There are also other quality resins out there, and my selection is usually made based on what I'm doing. West Systems is not a good choice for infusion, for example.
I do have to say though...if you're getting resin for 1/4 the price of West Systems, I might question what you're actually getting. Some manufacturers use the term "Epoxy" for resins or products containing resins that may only be 50% epoxy (like some vinylesters). It's actually easy to tell what the resin is by the smell of the lamination when it's cut, but it's not something that can be explained in text.
Also keep in mind that a can of 207 or 209 is a third of a gallon, unlike other hardeners like 205 or 206. This offsets the cost to some degree.
Keith, forgive my ignorance here, may I ask you what is considered as "infusion".
Thanks!

jcald2000
03-09-2015, 07:24 AM
http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Category/Online-Composites-Learning-Area/How-to-do-Perfect-Resin-Infusion-for-Cosmetic-Carbon-Fibre-Parts.aspx

It's all I use now, after watching the video you will see why!

You have to use Infusion resin which is very thin , about 200 cp compared to 600 to 800 cp for Laminating resin.

Luck as a Constant
03-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Great vid, explains it well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk