PDA

View Full Version : VS-1 and FE

Grimracer
10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
For those of you racing your VS-1s as a FE boat what do you think about the boat overall?

Maybe provide us with some setups and race results.

Thanks

Grimracer

Rumdog
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
A FE version would be awesome IMO!!

Shane_744
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
A FE VS1 is my dream boat. I just don't know enough about FE boats to make myself one yet.

Ub Hauled
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Mike, I personally don't own one,
from what I have seen from Tony, it's
a very nice platform, stable, corners well,
can take the OPC power with grace and does not
require a boat load of tweaking to do so.
I am not sure what kinda changes the boys up north
are doing to their hulls, but Tony was telling me they are very fast...
it would be nice to hear their opinions and perhaps some of
the mods they have done to achieve such feat.

properchopper
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Mike, I've owned and raced two TS-2's ; one with stock and one with modded bottom. Took a first in class at WW IV with the stock one. David Newland does superbly with his TS-2.
I Switched to the VS-1 and like it way better. The main difference I've noticed is that the VS-1, besides being faster in the straights, corners flat, the TS-2, no matter what I've tried, hops in the corners. Viva 'la VS-1 !
The only mod from stock on my VS-1 is a notched transom to get the pivot pin further indide the rear sponsons. Not sure this was necessary, but you've previously mentioned this. Hyperformance angle drive with lengthened fin, UL-1 motor, Zippy/Flightmax 4S 30C 5000/ Grimracer 42/55 de-tounged & mildly cupped.
Hydra 120 ( 'cause I had one sitting around).
I've watched Brian just SHRED the 2-lap with the same setup using the Bullet drive, which will be my next choice. { his prop was "special" of course.}
The build was time consuming ; radio box & seven waterproof pass-throughs in back. A dedicated FE version with these pieces in place would be sweet ! [ hint, hint]

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Grim, I have built two FE VS-1's. The first one I sold to Hugh Ebner, he just placed 2nd at a florida race a couple weeks ago. My new VS1 FE is actually a better design than that one. The boat will run full speed threw a 25ft diameter circle with no issues. The boat is extremely stable and DOES NOT BLOW OFF! I had terrible luck with the VS1 as nitro but as FE its perfect! I use an REK lower, prather mount, hyperformance FE conv, flex, and propshaft, ul-1 motor, turnigy 120a boat esc, and flightmax zippy 4 cell 5000 pack. The boat radars about 48-50 mph with your 42X55 stock, unmodded prop. Its a great setup. I am working on setting up a vision 20, sniper 20, htb 290, and leecraft xtr-21 right now. I have the hulls, just not all of the electrics yet. Once I have all of those done I will be doing a little race test of the 5 boats! Should be fun! Mike

Shane_744
10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
^^^^ Pictures??? ^^^^

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I will put them up tonight. I am working from my phone right now and it would take all day to post them! They are on my photobucket, user name spoonefcrx. You might be able to find them that way. Mike

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
i have problems with mine rolling sometimes in the turns over wakes. should i move cg toward the rear?

properchopper
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
i have problems with mine rolling sometimes in the turns over wakes. should i move cg toward the rear?

Not sure what to tell you. I remember at WW V when Dick Roberts & me were side-by-side in typical racewater conditions in turn one & we both rolled at the same place at the same time. :confused:

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
so its a common problem

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
how much does the nitro motor and lower weigh compared to a electric setup, i use a rek lower and bj combo

properchopper
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't know, maybe Mike {Cybercrxt} does.

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
im wondering if i add some lead to the motor if it will help this

properchopper
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
im wondering if i add some lead to the motor if it will help this

The lower the weight, the better the anti-roll effect.

D. Newland
10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Mike-Do you have Ball's record OPC time from the Nat's? I think it as a 1:52 to my best 2:02.

My TS-2 won't win anymore IMO. Too much of a tank. 2 major sponson mods helped tremendously, but it doesn't run as "happy" as the VS-1's and the other drivers and their setups are getting better and better each day. My hull is max'd out.

longballlumber
10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Mike-Do you have Ball's record OPC time from the Nat's? I think it as a 1:52 to my best 2:02.

My TS-2 won't win anymore IMO. Too much of a tank. 2 major sponson mods helped tremendously, but it doesn't run as "happy" as the VS-1's and the other drivers and their setups are getting better and better each day. My hull is max'd out.

Dave,

It was a 1:52.

Have you set up a VS-1 yet? I would love to hear your thoughts between it and your TS-2. My observation is the VS-1 is faster in the straights, but is't as stable as the TS-2 and the TS-3 that I had at the nats. I really like the idea of the longer more stable hull rather than the shorter faster hull.

We will see in the spring. I hope to convence the other club memebers that OPC is another great class that we should add for next year. If that ends up being the case, I will be setting up a VS-1. I had a great time driving Grim's tunnel at the NAT's! That was the only one of his boats I didn't bust up. :doh:

Later,
Ball

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Haha, its funny everyone had a rolling problem with the vs1 nitro, cause that was my problem too! I talked to grim some, and he asked if my k&b skeg was stock length...it was, so I cut it down a good bit, and that helped a lot. I also had to raise the prop shaft, but it still had some issues. FE with this hull has been great. I think its actually able to have a faster top speed because the battery helps keep the hull down. I cannot wait to get the sniper and vision hulls FE. Could be incredible with more top speed ablity! Mike

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 02:56 PM
thats strange cause he had properchopper add to his skeg for his fe vs-1

Darin Jordan
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
The lower the weight, the better the anti-roll effect.

And I think Tony means "Lower", as in lower in the hull, as well... More weight down REALLY low will actually help keep it from rolling... So get your batteries and EVERYTHING else as low as possible...

On my WoodStuff 28 Tunnel, on the advice of a buddy in Australia, I was able to lower my motor down about 1.1" on the lower unit (required custom made flex shafts), which helped a TON!

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah Kris made me short shafts for my Hornet, and it handles wonderfully as FE! Mike

To much steering rate will roll you as well!

D. Newland
10-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Have you set up a VS-1 yet? I would love to hear your thoughts between it and your TS-2. My observation is the VS-1 is faster in the straights, but is't as stable as the TS-2 and the TS-3 that I had at the nats. I really like the idea of the longer more stable hull rather than the shorter faster hull.

We will see in the spring. I hope to convence the other club memebers that OPC is another great class that we should add for next year. If that ends up being the case, I will be setting up a VS-1. I had a great time driving Grim's tunnel at the NAT's! That was the only one of his boats I didn't bust up. :doh:

Later,
Ball

I don't have a future OPC build at this point in time. I'm going to do a little research so by 2/10 I should have something new. That's probably the next race I'll be attending. It's the Az Nitro event and they let us run FE classes, assuming NAMBA Dist 19 allows them on the schedule for 2010. There was previous talk about them skipping 2010, so I'll know more in December after the Annual Meeting.

It's too bad Nayman, Proulx, Buass and Jordan didn't get to run their OPC's in Michigan. That would have been 4 more sub 2:00 OPC's on the course. Some of them sub 1:50 I bet.

properchopper
10-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Yup, I meant "the lower in the Hull the weight is, the better the anti-roll characteristics"

The stock Angle Drive did come with a rather small skeg which might have resulted in spinouts, so at Mike's advice I did lengthen it. I think I nailed it because it corners just right, in fact if I get a little too frisky I can broadslide it some - not really recommended in racewater BTW. What I liked about the Angle Drive was that it does have a rather low motor mounting location and the Fuller's adaptor bolts right on.

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
i knew you meant lower in the hull

6S HYDRO
10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
whats your cg at proper, if you dont mind me askin

raptor347
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
The hull on my VS-1 is stock with a bunch of time spent blueprinting the bottom. It runs a Heperformance bulletdrive and adaptor, UL-1 motor/esc. The only aero mod wasy adding a couple winglets up on the flats at the front of the cowl for some extra downforce. 1614abc or 42x55 are my 2 favorite props.

I really like the boat. but I wouldn't mind having one that was stretched about 3 inches.:biggrin:

properchopper
10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
whats your cg at proper, if you dont mind me askin

8.5 " from rear sponson tip.

properchopper
10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Since we're talkin' tunnel, here's my next OPC build : a virgin Herb Stewart hull.
Asymmetrical sponsons & all. Maybe a little heavy for spec power, might be a good platform for an outrunner !

Doug Smock
10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Since we're talkin' tunnel, here's my next OPC build : a virgin Herb Stewart hull.
Asymmetrical sponsons & all. Maybe a little heavy for spec power, might be a good platform for an outrunner !

27"???

Doug

properchopper
10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
29.5 " Built like a brick ____house !! OPC demolition derby, here I come !:tiphat:

Darin Jordan
10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
29.5 " Built like a brick ____house !! OPC demolition derby, here I come !:tiphat:

BUILD IT! Can't wait to see more of that thing, Tony!!

properchopper
10-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Actually I've talked to Mike (cybercrxt) about a custom cowl a while ago. I'm planning the radio box details & then I'll get making sawdust. :w00t:

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Proper, Still have the mold for the custom cowl whenever you need one!

Here is my VS1 FE Conversion:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0538.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0539.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0541.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0540.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0542.jpg

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
The whole fleet of current, AND future FE projects! The VS1, Hornet, and Kneeler are all complete. The sniper is next on the list (as you can see the epoxy FE radio box I just made), then the vision!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0534.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0535.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0537.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0536.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0543.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/FE%20Boats/IMGP0544.jpg

eboat
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Which kind is the yellow one ? and how long is it please

Shane_744
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
wholly geez you are the tunnel hull master! Nice boats. A VS1 FE is going to be my next boat for sure. Thanks for the pictures.

cybercrxt
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Eboat, The yellow is a Sniper, well, now Cobra tunnel hull (Dan bought the molds from Bill Britton, the Sniper original owner). Built now by Dan Hutchinson, hutchinsond15@yahoo (dot) com. He does offer a great boat, especially for the money! Boat is like 29 1/2" long, designed for heavy modded motors, and high top speeds. Mike

eboat
10-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks

Doug Smock
10-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Eboat, The yellow is a Sniper, well, now Cobra tunnel hull (Dan bought the molds from Bill Britton, the Sniper original owner). Built now by Dan Hutchinson, hutchinsond15@yahoo (dot) com. He does offer a great boat, especially for the money! Boat is like 29 1/2" long, designed for heavy modded motors, and high top speeds. Mike

Sweet fleet sir!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Ub Hauled
10-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I love that Hornet... jeez that's a nice Tunnel.

cybercrxt
10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, and that Hornet runs as great as it looks! Mike

Grimracer
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
thats strange cause he had properchopper add to his skeg for his fe vs-1

not strange at all really.. have you seen and used both of those lowers?

The hyper has a tiny little skeg and its WAY WAY back from the pin.. the K+B has a large skeg and is VERY close to the pin.

Truth is the K+B skeg (Size and Shape) is about as good a skeg as you are going to get on a VS-1. It can be cut down if you like but its not necessary..

I see most of you commenting about being able to run your boat WOT around the corners.. I find that interesting as that has never been a goal for my setups. Truth is I set mine up just the opposite.. I ALWAYS lift going in and power up as soon as the boat is ready.. I NEVER WFO the corners..

BUT.. thats just me and your driving style might be different. Having said that i bet dollars to donuts that i can beat WFO boats time and time again...

I really like the VS-1 as a nitro boat. it really is about the best you can buy.. the nnew wood sniper is good as well as the lynx but those two boats need more air and when upset they bobble hard.. Add an extra 10oz or so to then as FE and the bigger they are the harder they fall.

My heat racing VS-1 with a K+B 8907 on it is just around 3lbs 14oz (1.5 is lead) RTR and my OS powered version 4lbs 5oz (3 is lead).. I do not have a VS-1 setup as a FE boat as I have been working with the TS line..

Thanks for all the input guys..

Prop.. your VS-1 looks killer.. very very niceā€¦

Grim

cybercrxt
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Proper, did you post pics of your VS1? I just looked, and don't see it on here. Didn't know if Grim saw something I didn't!

longballlumber
10-10-2009, 06:47 AM
cybercrxt,

after seeing all of those boats, i've got "tunnel vision"!!! :laugh:

6S HYDRO
10-17-2009, 05:45 PM
just took 2 first place wins in my ul-1 powered vs1, would have been a sweep but i jumped the start in the first heat. heres some nice action shots

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/6s-hydro/tunnel-1stplace2aspx.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/6s-hydro/tunnel-1stplace4aspx.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/6s-hydro/tunnel-1stplace3aspx.jpg
:beerchug:

cybercrxt
10-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Congrats! I can tell by your attack angle your boat is tuned right in, and the other boat is fighting to keep it running clean. I just sold my VS1 about an hour ago..let me go get back to work on my Vision and Sniper FE tunnels! Mike

cybercrxt
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Pete, Sorry I didnt give you a reply on email. Family is in town! Looks great. Try staying full throttle in the turns, it will take it! What motor did you end up using? Mike