Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BL Pro Boat Mini-Cat (Now the Mini-C)

Default BL Pro Boat Mini-Cat (Now the Mini-C)

Video @ post #102

The following is how I convert a Pro Boat Mini-Cat to Brushless.
    I have lost my Pro Boat Mini-Cat to Davey Jones. The kind folks at Pro Boat (Horizon) replaced her with a Mini-V. I questioned the replacement, they stated that the cat, due to the rename, is not available. The Mini-V is the closest replacement. I took the V to my LHS, they exchanged it for me.

Now on to the build progress...
    Parts list:

3/16 brass tube.
    .098 flex cable w/ 1/8 stub/prop shaft (Octura)
    Motor of choice. (I'm using this ammo 28-35-2700)
    ESC of choice. (Team Orion Captain-35)
    Mini Hydro Hardware (From OSE)
    Prop of choice. (x427)
    2 part foam. (This stuff is awesome)

I removed everything from the hull except the linkage boot. I inserted a coarse rattail file in the tube from the transom end. Rattail files are thicker in the middle. Once the file bottomed out on to the tube, I gave it a slight right twist, till I heard it pop.

I used a small pair of vise grips on the front of the stuffing tube. I grabbed the tube and gave it the same slight twist till I heard it pop. Then I removed the Vise grips.

I used the rattail file still locked down on the tube at the transom, and twisted the tube to the right as I pulled it out.

Drill the hole at the transom with a 3/16 bit as far as it'll go. Then file out the hole at the other end. Mark the 3/16 tube length with the original tube removed. Cut the 3/16 tube to length. Insert the cut 3/16brass tube in the hole at the transom, guide it through the other end, and extending about 1-2mm at the motor side (like the original was).

Make a 3 sided cut in the tub where the rear of the motor would be to make a flap. Fold this flap back. Get the 2 part foam. Hold the boat with the bow pointing down & hold the flap open. Mix 10cc of part A & 10cc of part B. Stir for about 10 seconds, then pour into the hole with the flap. This stuff does NOT push like the spray foam. it remains very soft like the fizz on your Coke or Pepsi. once it stops expanding, then it starts to set. Because of that, it won't separate, or bloat your boat. Once set, trim any foam that may have come out the flap, then close the flap and seal with epoxy mixed with paint for color.

There is absolutely no flotation foam in this boat from the factory. and it DOES SINK! I know first hand. The pocket of air in the bow didn't do a stinking thing.

Here's what it looks like after the foam is set.

That's all I have right now...
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 02-03-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Got the motor...

Compare it to the stock motor:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Buying the mini hydro HW today from OSE.
    I can't cut the .098 flex to length till I get the HW installed.

Mini Hydro HW ordered. Let's hope that Steven's fast shipping works the same for me too!

Got the HW today. (Thank you Steven)

Here's a shot of the installation. That prop is only for the picture...

Wow what a clean install. Nicely done Sir!!!!!!!

Wow, someone else posted in here besides me??
    Thank you SJFE!

I went to the LHS today to get the flex coupler. .098 to 1/8. They are out. the last one sold was to me and it's at the bottom of the lake. It'll be in stock next week!

I picked up the drive dog, and an X427 prop. It's not sharpened or balanced as yet.

I also picked up the ESC it's going to run. I couldn't pass it up, because it was in my price range! (Cheap).
    Specs are on the link in the OP

I installed the motor, and finally got to cut the flex cable to length.

nice kitten very clean setup . were did you get the bailer

Thank you!.
    That is the stock drain plug.

Nice score on the esc!! So when are you building the sub to recover the first one????

When I can score the parts for the sub at a whopping $33.99!

That LHS has about 20 of those ESC's at that price. The bay sells them for over $50
    The 45A version is $39.99

1st Video. Don't get excited, it's just the rudder throw for now.

Video <--

Diegoboy,
    this build really looks cool. i am sorry you lost your first one. i am surprised there is no float foam in that hull. even worse that there is no bow access. that two part foam looks great, it's better than the spray stuff then? if i were to do the same thing, would you help me out?

Welcome Eric.
    I'd be happy to help/guide you. The 2 part foam I got is awesome. it pushes outward as much as the foam on top of your glass of cola. When it's done expanding, it will then harden. It simply doesn't push like the spray foam will.

Thanks. i feel better trying to do this now.

You're welcome.
    I apologize for the lack of details in this build, I just get 1 part done, then want to get the next done, then I realize "Oh man I forgot to take a pic for the build"

Updates:
    Flex Hex Coupler installed, ESC installed & RX installed.

that will look nice sittin on my shelf

She'd look nice on any shelf! as long as it's not the shelf on the lake bottom!

All Done! waitin' for a good day to run.

Video (Dry Run) <--
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 01-27-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Really kewl littel mod you did there man. I bet is a mini missile. I can't play the video though.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    Really kewl littel mod you did there man. I bet is a mini missile.
    Thank you Tom! I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post

I can't play the video though.
    Me either. I'm working on it

Fixed it!

Dhuuuuuuude that things gone be sick!!!!!!

I hope so!

you have to get a video of this thing in water.
    is it me ro is the boat moving in the video????
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

I didn't notice that, but it is moving!

that got powa
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Hey Diego,

Boat is looking good. You know the best place to run it, huh? How is the ABS hull on that? Is it thick or thin?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast