Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIPPIE"S VS1 build

Default HIPPIE"S VS1 build

I figured i would start my own build thread . I fixed the gap in my hull . Today i made some sides for my battery & elctronic's box. They are just taped in place because i wanted some opinion's in case im doing something wrong. My plan is to cut out the back of the stock radio box to leave more room for adjusting the lipo . I hade to make my new sides go on top of the stock radio box because my turnigy lipo is taller the the stock box. Tell me what you think .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I re made my battery box . I made the sides from cut down bambo flooring & the back plate & braces are made from 1/4 plywood. I notched all the braces & the back plate. So they fit in between the sides as well as sitting on top . What do you think ?.

Looking good Mike. Make sure everything is square as you go and test fit the cowl accordingly. Check with Jeff and Hugh along the way.

Your new Club showed well this past weekend against the big boys ( with the exception of OPC...) .
    \
    Mike
    Boats don't win races, drivers do.

I am no expert on tunnels, but upon further review, measure the distance from your box to the aft inside of the sponsons. It should be equal on both sides.

Your box seems offset to the starboard side. Is that by design??

Quote Originally Posted by highndry View Post
    Your box seems offset to the starboard side. Is that by design??

I just notcied that after you pointed it out. I measured it it is diffenitly off set. I wish i had noticed that before i cut the back of the radio box out.

Looking at it from the FR it measures 4.25 to the left sponson & 3 3/4 to the right sponson. I hope the hull is still usable .

Mike
    The VS1 is designed with the offset. It is one of the attributes that makes it a great turning tunnel. Some other tunnels have this as well.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Mike
    The VS1 is designed with the offset. It is one of the attributes that makes it a great turning tunnel. Some other tunnels have this as well.

Doug
    Hi DOUG

I was not aware of that. That is great to hear since i have all ready cut the back of the stock box out for my conversion . Thank you for letting me know .

funny that offset,i mentioned it a little while back and guys that own the vs1 hadnt noticed it
    looking good with the box,just make sure the canopy fits over it well

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    funny that offset,i mentioned it a little while back and guys that own the vs1 hadnt noticed it
    looking good with the box,just make sure the canopy fits over it well
    Hi scott

I freaked out when i saw the offset . Thank you for help you have been giving me . I all ready test fit the cowl. It's just a tad snug in the back . But a little sanding should take care of that . I ordered my hi-jack mount ysterday , & it's getting mailed tommorow . Did you drill the holes for you esc wires & linkage before you mounted radio box or after ?.

i glued the sides and top bits on first, made a servo mount and mounted that on,bolted lower leg on and ran steering rods,i then measured were the steering rods were and drilled the holes in the back plate,then the wire,water line holes, then glued the back plate in.
    i drilled all holes in the back plate on the bench not when it was on the boat.

I will be using a ul-1 motor on 4s in my vs1 . Is the esc from the UL-1 okay to use as well or should i get a different one ?.

i have heard they ok guys are using them to race,think the later one may have a larger cap
    and some add a cap to the original one, hope that makes sense

I was also thinking about getting two more turnigy marine 120's. Im pretty sure that would be enough esc . One to use in the vs1 & one for a spare.

I also made my servo tray & esc mount.

Default Motor mount

MY hi-jack mount showed up today.

I got my outboard mounted. Thank's to jeff (obrien) for the help. I also got the back plate with all the pass thru's done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rchippie View Post
    I figured i would start my own build thread . I fixed the gap in my hull . Today i made some sides for my battery & elctronic's box. They are just taped in place because i wanted some opinion's in case im doing something wrong. My plan is to cut out the back of the stock radio box to leave more room for adjusting the lipo . I hade to make my new sides go on top of the stock radio box because my turnigy lipo is taller the the stock box. Tell me what you think .
    Did you cut through the top deck and styrofoam to lower the radio box electronics in the hull?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    Did you cut through the top deck and styrofoam to lower the radio box electronics in the hull?
    No i built it on top . I built mine pretty much the same as ozzie built his .

look good mate,just one thought were you have the steering rods you dont have much vertical adjustment,if you put the steel cleats on the servo side you can then use the pivot balls on the out side with a bolt to allow leg to move up and down and the rods stay in the same spot,i had a nut either side of pivot ball to allow adjustment but now i have it dialed in, i have a piece of tube one side and a nut they other,will take a pic tomorrow show what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    look good mate,just one thought were you have the steering rods you dont have much vertical adjustment,if you put the steel cleats on the servo side you can then use the pivot balls on the out side with a bolt to allow leg to move up and down and the rods stay in the same spot,i had a nut either side of pivot ball to allow adjustment but now i have it dialed in, i have a piece of tube one side and a nut they other,will take a pic tomorrow show what i mean
    Scott
    I figured out what you meant about the links. Here is what i made. Plus there is a couple of pics that show the amount of throw.

Also i all ready sealed the boat . But i need to put severasl coats of clear to protect it . Is it okay to us KRYLON for the clear coat, or is it better to use something else?.
    Last edited by rchippie; 04-12-2010 at 07:22 PM.

I got some more work done.

I would like to take my VS1 out for it's maiden run tommorow. But i do not have any corrosion x to spray in the motor after the run . Is there anything else i could use or should i just wait untill i can get some corrosion x ?.

WD-40 will work well too!

WD-40 is fine...in fact I have rolled and sub'd mine a number of times and just blew any water out when I got home...UL-1 motor still runs fine...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    WD-40 is fine...in fact I have rolled and sub'd mine a number of times and just blew any water out when I got home...UL-1 motor still runs fine...
    Thats great. How much do i spray in the motor ?. Also should i spray denatured alcohol first or it that not needed ?.

Spray it with a little WD-40 before you run and unless you flip, it'll pretty much bead off any spray. If you have compressed air, there isn't really a need for the alcohol but it cant really hrt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Spray it with a little WD-40 before you run and unless you flip, it'll pretty much bead off any spray. If you have compressed air, there isn't really a need for the alcohol but it cant really hrt.

How much is a little wd- 40, also do you put the little red tube all the way in the motor can or just spray around the holes on the end bell ?.

Dont worry about over doing it. Give it a good soak if you want. Try to get it on everything you can.

First off i must the Ozzy-Crawl ( scott) & Obrien ( Jeff) for all there help. With out them i would still be working on my boat.

My VS1 had it's madien voyage today. It was totally AWSOME. The boat was super stable & fast . Even the nitro guys were impressed, with how well it handled. Im using a UL-1 motor on 4s with a 42/55 grimracer prop.

great news,there a fun boat to drive.
    i sold mine and the people who brought it just ran it at a state titles (same setup)
    it had the least powerful motor but still got 3rd overall and a trophy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast