Thread: Changing between 5s & 6s with flycolor 150

Default Changing between 5s & 6s with flycolor 150

Ok all professional esc gurus, I have what is probably a silly question but here it is...

Using the flycolor 150 (I give this esc high praise), I’ve been using it on 5s with no problems, this morning I tried a 6s in the boat. It was glitchy and then stopped dead in the water. I retrieved and got back to truck to hit the throttle and it worked. I pulled the antenna wire through the hatch (which I’ve never had to do) and it made a few laps before going dead again. This time when I got back, only the rudder worked. Hooked up a 5s and it worked as it should.

The programmer does not have a cell selection, I did not count the beeps the esc emitted, I assume it’s suppose to auto detect and is not?

Running a 1650kv and only had a 440/3 prop on it so I don’t think it was a load issue.

Any advice, I’m confident it’s not a radio issue and is all related to the esc.

Thanks in advance for all opinions or suggestions
    IMPBA 20583

The BEC does not like 6s.

I run a Raider 150 in my 6S SpintCat 36 all the time with zero problems. Folks say these two ESCs are the same....but maybe not.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

i run the flycolor 150 in my pursuit with a 1600kv leopard on 6s .i am either hitting lvc or something else is going on but it starts out great for a few passes then goes to half throttle until i let the lipos recover (i assume that's what it is)then i can hammer it again for maybe another hard pass then it will repeat .
    mine might be a lvc issue but thought i mention it since we are talking about the esc
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

As sayed above .....Deactivate the esc BEC and use or an external bec or a LI-FE pack......

is this a known issue?i never heard this before about this esc .my esc has never come in over 135 degrees so its not thermal shutdown .just thought i mention that
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Actually ....I Deactivate the internal esc BEC above 4S at any esc i have use...!!!!!!

What are the chances that it’s having trouble identifying a different cell count after the initial setup... How would you “reset” the esc back to having to initiate throttle positioning and identifying cell count?
    IMPBA 20583

i count my beeps and it recognizes 6s just fine .i have the programmer too .

to reset throttle position you just hold full throttle while while powering up the esc ,the esc will let out 2 small beeps ,then let go of throttle and now it should count out 6 beeps or whatever size lipo is attached .
    the program card has no info for lipo settings

I would be disconnecting the Red wire from esc to receiver and run a seperate LiFe pack or ex BEC then see how she goes.

Turn the lvc off

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    Turn the lvc off
    I’ll give that a try and post up the results, thanks for everyone’s opinions!
    IMPBA 20583

If you don't already I would slap some extra 35v zl caps as well

That sounds like low voltage cutoff. Jumping from 5s to 6s would increase the ampage a bit so a higher voltage loss underload.

Some lipo cells get damaged when charging to 4.2volts per cell. The internal resistance of the cell increases.

Consequently greater voltage loss at a given load.

By charging to 4.15 volts per cell I have not found added internal resistance. The voltage loss is less as a result.

To be honest I saw some data that someone posted in a thread on this forum. And it was clear to me that this racer cells was damaged.

I have a 4s battery that loose .05 volts at 9.6amps. Based on data that I gathered doing testing on the cells. So at 50 amps it will loose .26volts. 100amps .52 volts. A single 4s pack. So If I charge to 16.6volts.

That is 4.15volts per cell. I will have just over 16 volts at a 100 amps on initial discharge.

So that is justs over 4 volts per cell at 100amps at the start of discharge.

I had cell get damage charging to 4.2 volt per cell. Internal resistance increase by a huge amount.

The point is your cells if you charge to 4.2v per cell may have had internal damage. Causing high voltage loss resulting in early low voltage cutoff on your ESC.