Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks RSX380 Outrigger! My first FE wood kit build...

Lake Superior, wholly cow!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Lake Superior, wholly cow!
    It's a rare day you can run an RC outrigger on Lake Superior...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I made such a boat and used three packs of glue. The glue spread all over the chair and now it's all on the carpet. Has anyone come across this? How to clean everything from glue?
    Boat lover since 2012. Fishing as hobby since 2008. Work as boat and yacht cleaning pro at UCM Upholstery cleaning.

Is it mixed and dried or is it just unmixed?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I think this guy Danburnmann could be a fake profile. Notice he cleans upholstery and just joined yesterday! Either that or an idiot.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

With that boat, you have to just open it up full throttle, and steer. If that was a 42mph run, you have a good 60-70mph setup, because I never heard you actually wind the motor. I have had the 31" RSX in the 70mph range, and it didn't care, so you have nothing to worry about. I always shake when I put an R&D design in the water for the first time. You get over it real quick tho! Congrats on the nice build, I think you will be amazed once spring comes, and you can set the strut, and really get it up on top of the water. Riggers do not like low speed for turning, it will lock in once you get it up on top of the water! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    With that boat, you have to just open it up full throttle, and steer. If that was a 42mph run, you have a good 60-70mph setup, because I never heard you actually wind the motor. I have had the 31" RSX in the 70mph range, and it didn't care, so you have nothing to worry about. I always shake when I put an R&D design in the water for the first time. You get over it real quick tho! Congrats on the nice build, I think you will be amazed once spring comes, and you can set the strut, and really get it up on top of the water. Riggers do not like low speed for turning, it will lock in once you get it up on top of the water! Mike
    Thanks Mike, that was my first drive with a rigger. Just wanted to maiden it, and not hit floating ice or run it up on the ice. It was a bit nerve racking with the situation and being a maiden run.

I need feedback like yours and setup tips for sure. So thanks for the help.

Here's my bench tune. Leopard motor 4092/1390kv, ABC prop 2118(b,s,p), 40 size Mojo Racing turn fin (front of turn fin even with back of sponson ride pad), CG on 6s balances 1/2" behind back of turn fin(8s should be a little closer to back of turn fin), bottom of strut even with bottom of rear pads, prop shaft/strut neutral or parallel with bottom of tub.

The only other adjustment I can think of is, I have almost 1/32" toe-in on the right sponson to offset for prop walk because my strut is mounted on center and not shimmed to the right.

I did run it off camera to 55mph. And noticed a slight lifting and dipping of the front sponsons. Possibly running slightly wet? Do I need some positive strut angle?

Or, as Mike said, give it more throttle and she'll settle?

Last edited by sammyha; 04-03-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    What an absolutely fine looking build! I would like to put the pics up on the website! I look forward to seeing it running! Mike
    If you're still interested Mike, here's a couple more pictures. What I call amateur studio shots...

Quote Originally Posted by sammyha View Post
    If you're still interested Mike, here's a couple more pictures. What I call amateur studio shots...

Id love to have permision to use these for ose products page. Let me know if you mind?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Id love to have permision to use these for ose products page. Let me know if you mind?
    For sure you can use them Steven. I don't mind at all...

Thanks!!
    Steven Vaccaro

Thanks!! I updated the product, it looks much better now.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ml-rsx380
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Thanks!! I updated the product, it looks much better now.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ml-rsx380
    Nice! That's what we appreciate about you. You make it happen, now!

Nice! That's what we appreciate about you. You make it happen, now!

The secret is, if i dont do it now and while its on my mind, I will forget about it, like it never happened.
    Steven Vaccaro

If I were to be totally honest about it, I've not been running my rc boats because I've been golfing...

And working overtime. And putting up a new riding arena rail and gates for Wendy.

Anyway, I did get out and run the RSX380 today. I prepped a slightly smaller prop for it. Went to a ABC 2018, was running a ABC 2118. And set some positive angle in the strut. The bottom of the strut is flush with the bottom of the rear shoes as before.

Here's a link to a video of me checking it out, taking out some of the left trim I was running(less propwalk), and opening it up a bit running laps. I'm going to full throttle here on the straights, but not going quite to full speed. It's over steering slightly in the corners, I had my batteries set all the way back.

Just figuring out what it likes, trying different things...

https://youtu.be/Xbw50yXN1r0

Last edited by sammyha; 07-08-2019 at 08:02 PM.

looks great other than some rear end hop which no doubt you will set correctly with either a different prop and or strut adjustment. what size motor did you end up using ?

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    looks great other than some rear end hop which no doubt you will set correctly with either a different prop and or strut adjustment. what size motor did you end up using ?
    I went with the Leopard 4092, 1390KV on 8s. Alright, please tell me about the rear end hop. I didn't even know of that term to describe it. I just prepped this prop and it seems to be closer to waking the boat up, so what strut adjustment helps the rear end hop?

Bring the strut up to get rid of the hop, small amounts at a time.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

other causes will include the prop and cog. if the rear of tub is too light it will want to bounce [ hop ] you don,t want a lifting prop on this rigger as there are rear sponsons to keep the back riding well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Bring the strut up to get rid of the hop, small amounts at a time.
    other causes will include the prop and cog. if the rear of tub is too light it will want to bounce [ hop ] you don,t want a lifting prop on this rigger as there are rear sponsons to keep the back riding well.
    Thanks guys. I will be tuning and testing more soon. This is starting to get fun. Also I would appreciate knowing what type prop to order that is not a lifting prop...

Here's a video with some trim changes...

https://youtu.be/YZBnWd6xXkc

Got out and ran the RSX380 again. Raised the strut a bit more and set some more positive angle to the strut. Now I know I need a prop change.

I did not like how it turned, it over steered and had some kind of hop going on. Need a higher rake prop...

So I did a SAW run and broke eighty!

https://youtu.be/7iHBfMyYVe4

well, you are starting to gain some good speed now , looks great. as your now doing just play with props / strut heights and c.o.g. plus different turn fins certainly help in correcting not so good turns. not sure if you do need to use lifting props on this rigger as you do have 2 x rear sponsons that do hold the rear up at the correct level.

well, you are starting to gain some good speed now , looks great. as your now doing just play with props / strut heights and c.o.g. plus different turn fins certainly help in correcting not so good turns. not sure if you do need to use lifting props on this rigger as you do have 2 x rear sponsons that do hold the rear up at the correct level.
    I'll try a higher rake prop next. As I said in the video, I've raised the strut bottom 3/32" above the rear shoes. Feels like I've lost some handling with that setting. Batteries were all the way back. From memory, the CG is around 75% of the measurement from the prop to the back of the sponson ride pads...

Last edited by sammyha; 07-25-2019 at 07:03 PM.

so where is the boat balancing when you test the c.o.g. ? should be around the trailing edge of turn fin normally. also can you reduce abit of rudder throw as the model does look like its turning sharp so maybe less throw might correct handling issues aswell. have you tried any octura x or m series props yet ?

so where is the boat balancing when you test the c.o.g. ? should be around the trailing edge of turn fin normally. also can you reduce abit of rudder throw as the model does look like its turning sharp so maybe less throw might correct handling issues aswell. have you tried any octura x or m series props yet ?
    The c.o.g. is right at the turn fin trailing edge.

Hmmn, I setup up three drive modes, each with differing dual rates, 100%, 75% & 50%. Suppose I should try them, huh? Forgot about using them and it wasn't a problem running slower...

Please recommend Octura props in the X or M series that compares in size to what I'm running now. It's a ABC 2018-10-50(2)-CLL. And why to use them? They don't list their rake angles, so I didn't buy any.

Thank you for all your help...

Here it is, balanced on a spare boom tube...

Paul, [ 758boats ] will know the good cog spot and blade size as he runs a fast ml rigger. as for the octura props, sizes of around x447 / x645 / x646 may be good for oval set up.

Paul, [ 758boats ] will know the good cog spot and blade size as he runs a fast ml rigger. as for the octura props, sizes of around x447 / x645 / x646 may be good for oval set up.
    Thanks. Yeah, those are smaller diameter and pitch props than what I started out with.

I've been headed that way with the props I'm trying now.

And there's the OSE calculator numbers and there's real world experience. It gave me a starting point anyway, even tho I leaned toward the optimistic side which seems to stress FE electronics...

A couple of shots of the RSX380 on the water...

don,t those octura x series props have less pitch than your 2018 abc ?
    Last edited by rol243; 07-26-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: mistake in reply.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast