Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: atomic 58 inch catamaran motor question

Wow this thread has gotten pretty quiet...

3 more runs on my ARC today and i used me gps data logger to track the performance top speed was 55mph in mild chop! I'm super happy with the setup, it's reliable and allows use of the stock setup other than motor! I was get some amp readings next run.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6672 View Post
    Ok so I am going with an HET 700 98 1170kv. It is basically a copy of the Neu 1527 but a Better kv for 6s. Going with a water jacket and a rear mount clamp to support the 4"s of motor. This should be a good bump in performance but allow me to stay at 6s and get good run times with the 11600 mah I am running.

Boats are kind of a side thing for me hobby wise, I normally play with big 20-30 lb EDF scale jets and I have been running some HET motors pretty hard in jets the past 2 years and have had great success so I decided to give them a shot in a boat. I am going to make a new front mounting plate for the motor mount (if I can't modify the stock one) I am going to attempt to use the existing motor shaft coupler and drill out the motor end for the 8mm shaft if that dosent work we will just fab a new one

All the stuff should show up end of this week and I will post picks of the build and the performance via video, hoping for the upper 40mph range maybe touch 50 but still have the convience of just 2 batteries per run and a good run time (7-8min)
    Do you have a link to where you bought your motor?
    thanks!
    your giving me a wonderful idea
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I buy them direct:

http://www.highendrc.com

Great motors for the money, I have 5 of them running in various aircraft and love them!

Awesome, thanks!
    I have a 1527 and love that motor and these are much cheaper priced
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

My arc the last couple of runs has been coming in waaay hot! Just under 200 degrees with about 6 minutes run time. Looking for ways to keep the temps down in the 150 range. I swapped the t-120 it came with for the t-180. Esc was 84, and single 6s 25-50c zippy was @103. Seems like the motor may be going out or maybe I need to free up the prop a bit by raising the strut? Thinner lube on the flex shaft? Maybe even an electric fan in front of the motor? I really don't want to replace all the electronics to something bigger. The boat is really light and runs a consistent 40 mph in its stock configuration. Any more ideas??

Any vid yet ?
    What timing are you running with that setup,
    Also can you post some pic of the inside setup to have a look ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

The bearings on the stock motor could be going. Replacing them may help bring temps down but, 6 minutes seems like a long run to me, but, thats just me.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Any vid yet ?
    What timing are you running with that setup,
    Also can you post some pic of the inside setup to have a look ?
    18 degrees I think. I bumped the timing up one setting from the esc default setting thinking that an outrunner typically likes higher timing. I will definetly drop the timing and see what happens. I consistently get 40 mph on GPS, so ill check the speed to see if the reduced timing has any effect. Good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    The bearings on the stock motor could be going. Replacing them may help bring temps down but, 6 minutes seems like a long run to me, but, thats just me.
    6 minutes seems reasonable to me. Only running a single 6s, 5800mah pack. If the bearings are bad I'd more than likely just replace the motor.

Sorry Lenny, I've been trying to figure out how to film and drive at the same time. I have an old flip video camera I'm trying to mount to my transmitter. I've got a couple of runs on the big 56 inch p-1 as well, but having some handling issues and a pinched o-ring on the cooling can caused the hull to fill up with water on the first run. I'll get some vids posted soon.

Flip phone,
    Maybe have the bottom of the flip phone flat against the bottom of the tx with some straps of velcro holding it there.

On v500 outrunner I moved the timing up when testing from 15% to 26.25 and it runs cooler,
    With still good power and run time to.

Those outrunners do run a lot hotter normally than the inrunners do,
    But I think they can handle it better.

Also check that you still have good water flow to the mount,
    And at water pickups and nipples of mount to.
    Their could be some debris slowing the flow of water to.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Flip phone,
    Maybe have the bottom of the flip phone flat against the bottom of the tx with some straps of velcro holding it there.

On v500 outrunner I moved the timing up when testing from 15% to 26.25 and it run cooler,
    With still good power and run time to.

Those outrunners do run a lot hotter normally than the inrunners do,
    But I think they can handle it better.

Also check that you still have good water flow to the mount,
    And at water pickups and nipples of mount to.
    Their could be some debris slowing the flow of water to.
    Really? I was always under the impression tha more timing meant more power and more heat. I'll have to do some testing for sure. And I have an idea for the flip camera. Will give it a shot early monday or tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Really? I was always under the impression tha more timing meant more power and more heat. I'll have to do some testing for sure. And I have an idea for the flip camera. Will give it a shot early monday or tuesday.
    for most inrunners

I did a little reading on motor timing, and it seems that more timing equals more power but less efficiency, however motor pole count is the big factor. A motor with more poles will typically have higher timing. So I guess that makes sense that the 8 pole t-600 would require higher timing than a 4-pole in runner. I bumped my timing up to 22 degrees and swapped all the connectors from stock 4mm on the motor to some castle 6.5's that I had lying around. Also raised the strut just a bit to free up the prop. Tomorrow Ill run it again and compare the temps and top speed.

Yes the 6 pole outrunner are a different animal of motor for sure.
    When I was testing and reading about them,
    They called for a lot higher timing for most of them.
    I know Ben at fightercat had said to put them at 15% timing or they will run hot,
    Hear a link to some info on the stock venom motors from pasted boats.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...lacement-motor
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My motor was running hot @ 18degrees timing. I ran it again today for 5 minutes with the timing @ 22 degrees, swapped all the stock 4mm bullets for 6.5's on the motor and 5.5's on the batts. Also raised the strut about 1/4 inch to free up the prop. Temps came in at 130 on the motor, about 105 on batts, and under 80 on the esc. top speed increased from 40mph previously to 43.7 today!! uploading some video as we speak.

Here is some not so good video with me filming by myself....

gps

Good to hear about the temps.
    Vid looks pretty good to for the first time on the tx,
    The boat looks like it is riding nice to.
    It will get better and easier the more you use it like a side arm gun,
    Or like shooting from the hip.
    Keep testing with more timing and see how it likes it,
    What size prop are you using ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    My motor was running hot @ 18degrees timing. I ran it again today for 5 minutes with the timing @ 22 degrees, swapped all the stock 4mm bullets for 6.5's on the motor and 5.5's on the batts. Also raised the strut about 1/4 inch to free up the prop. Temps came in at 130 on the motor, about 105 on batts, and under 80 on the esc. top speed increased from 40mph previously to 43.7 today!! uploading some video as we speak.
    that move possibly did the biggest improvement for you....

Good to hear about the temps.
    Vid looks pretty good to for the first time on the tx,
    The boat looks like it is riding nice to.
    It will get better and easier the more you use it like a side arm gun,
    Or like shooting from the hip.
    Keep testing with more timing and see how it likes it,
    What size prop are you using ?
    Stock 54mm machined 3- blade

Ok what is the hold up now ?

It is 02/10/2014 and still no new, Info or Pictures or Video's.

Quote Originally Posted by Finest Racing View Post
    I spoke to Ken and Damen today and we were talking about going out next week or the week after. We will not let the cold keep is away.
    I know may be next year we will see something.

W T F
    Come on What's the facts 3.5 week and still no Data, Pictures, Or vids.
    Spoke to Damen today, he said he would upload the pictures tomorrow. I knew I should have used my video camera. Ken did the video. I will call Ken tomorrow to see when he maybe uploading the video's.

Hey Rob do you need some batteries for the flash or may be a bigger mirror ?
    I spoke to Damen, he is working on the pictures. I have not spoke to Ken yet. It has been crazy over here. It was my daughters birthday this week. I will be calling Ken tomorrow.
    I will be checking the data tomorrow too.

I also use a GoPro using the head strap. Your head is always following your boat.
    Ok hey you guys, It has been two weeks now.

So what the hell happen ?

Do you need a flash light and a mirror to look for the data, pictures, video's that Damen & Ken have ?
    I went out today. It was low 60's here in south central NJ. Unlikely that we will see that again till spring. The Atomik had a glitch on the first pass. The water feed line came off going to the water jacket. The boat filled up with some water. Brought it in, fixed the line, topped off the batteries, watched Ken fly around with his Genesis.
    Reset the GPS, secure everything and try it again. Off the work bench into the water the boat appeared to be on the money. I was using two 4s 6000, 25~50c Turnigy Nano Tech batteries. I know they are under in the C rating. Surprised after a 3 to 4 minute full burst straight away runs, the batteries were at 85 degrees, the motor was at 90 and the ESC was at 88 degrees.
    With the GPS tuning off but recording the max speed before turning off due to low battery, I recorded a max speed of 59.3mph. I was a very smooth ride. Ken did the video and Damen did the still photos. When I receive them, I will post.
    All in all, I am happy. No tweaking was done today. I just enjoyed it. I will now tweak it a little to see if I can hit the magic number that we think it can hit (70mph).
    I did roll it, which landed right side up. I think after the first roll - the battery tray separated. The boat was leaning when accelerating from a stop. After moving it would level out. The problem was when I would release the throttle the boat get loose. The boat rolled two more times - always landing right side up. No other damage or problems to report.
    I did use the data recorder. I will check that tomorrow.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

I just picked up one of these, bare hull and wondering what would be a good motor, that would bolt into the stock motor mount? Plan on running 6s.

I was looking at this motor, seems comparable to the stock motor, or should I go with a different KV or different motor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

What speeds are you looking for with that hull ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

What speeds are you looking for with that hull ?
    Around 45 would be good,

Was also looking at this motor too, just unsure of what KV to get

http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=97

Also, what sized flex shaft does the boat have, I haven't picked up the hull yet, just want to get what I need beforehand

Thanks for the info in advance

you want the 1100kv version of that turnigy out runner. Are you getting the ARR version of this hull with the stock hardware or just a bare hull. The stock flex cable is 1/4" with a 5mm prop shaft.

I'm getting the ARR version. Would the fightercat motor be better than the Turnigy?

They are actually the same motor. You'll notice the fightercat description says t600. They just have his logo on them. Either one will work just fine.

Doesn't the arr version come with everything but the radio,motor, and esc?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast