Thread: Should i add a cap bank to my 150a esc

Default Should i add a cap bank to my 150a esc

I realize this subject has been discussed at nauseam. I have a 1/10 scale hydroplane that I will sport run unless some boats in AZ start racing FE. I want max performance and ease on equipment should I add a Cap Bank to my ESC. I will be running a 4S setup. Thanks for any input in advance. Thinking about the Castle Creations Cap Bank for sale hear on OSE.

Kevin

Exactly what ESC, what motor, what batteries? A properly installed cap bank can’t hurt, although it may not help either.

Where in Arizona are you? There is an FE club in Phoenix (Scottsdale Model Boaters), PM rayzerdesigns here on OSE.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Cap banks are good when you need more ability to throttle up and down a lot. Ie if the esc keeps cutting out while throttling up and down
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Exactly what ESC, what motor, what batteries? A properly installed cap bank can?t hurt, although it may not help either.

Where in Arizona are you? There is an FE club in Phoenix (Scottsdale Model Boaters), PM rayzerdesigns here on OSE.

Flycolor 150a, Tenshock 1600kv, Aquacraft 1800 & 2030, 2 2S 5000mah in series.

I've heard FE is pretty dead in AZ, I will check out the race in Tempe this weekend and see what the prospects are for FE 1/10 scale

I like the Flycolor 150A but the way the original caps are connected is not really good from electrical viewpoint. They just use 2 pins on each pole to connect all the caps.
    The capbank will help, when you connect it at minimum distance to the controller in the wires. This connection can have a lower impedance then the original connection inside the esc.
    If you want the technically best solution you will have to open the esc but then it is not waterproof anymore.
    The total amount of capacity is quite ok on the Flycolor 150A but the weak point is the connection using just thin pins.

Regards, Eike

Quote Originally Posted by plinse View Post
    I like the Flycolor 150A but the way the original caps are connected is not really good from electrical viewpoint. They just use 2 pins on each pole to connect all the caps.
    The capbank will help, when you connect it at minimum distance to the controller in the wires. This connection can have a lower impedance then the original connection inside the esc.
    If you want the technically best solution you will have to open the esc but then it is not waterproof anymore.
    The total amount of capacity is quite ok on the Flycolor 150A but the weak point is the connection using just thin pins.

Regards, Eike
    Thanks, what Cap Bank do you suggest?, I simply strip some casing of wire and solder cap inline?

I solder them myself using Rubicon ZLH capacitors.
    The rated voltage should not be lower then on the original capacitors. I usually use as many as I can fit easily in the available space.

On my Flycolor 150A I currently use 4 of the 25V 1000?F type.

Right, you strip some wire insolation and solder the capacitors there when using a commercially available Cap Bank. Watch out, they have + and - but this is shown on the shrink wrap of the capacitor and on the bank.
    This is a different controller (YEP150A) but you can see the added capacitors and the grey mark with the - wich is connected to minus of the controller:

The more capacitors you have the more you should care about anti-spark also.
    Last edited by plinse; 09-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.