Thread: Recovery boat

Default Recovery boat

Would the miss geico 17inch brushed catamaran be a good recovery boat?

I use a simple jet boat for recovery. There is a rope with some foam parts and a hook towed in behind and due to a mesh on the inlet of the jet there is no trouble of having to recover 2 boats in the end ;-)
    The big advantage is that this method also works on big distance when a simple pushing-recovery gets tricky due to visibility. I also don't want an unprotected prop on my recovery boat as it could get into contact with the other boat.
    Another advantage of the jet is the great maneuverability also at low speed.

Not really, but I suppose it depends on what you're trying to recover, how far out, and what the water conditions are like.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Not really, but I suppose it depends on what you're trying to recover, how far out, and what the water conditions are like.

it would be used to retrieve a 34inch catamaran in any condition of water.

Surface drive props don't really make for good rescue boats as they have no real torque at slow speeds. Just froth & spray with a lot of airation.
    Best to find something with a submerged drive.
    Here's what I built years ago. Good lord. Was it really back in 2008?
    It slowly developed into something different when I didn't need a rescue boat anymore. But its initial setup was perfect for rescue.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rd-Rescue-Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreengiant12 View Post
    Would the miss geico 17inch brushed catamaran be a good recovery boat?
    I picked one up with the same thought as you. It just doesn't have enough power to do the job. Also it's slow. I've made a few mods to it It should be a fun little boat to play with if it doesn't roll over when I hit the trigger. I haven't tested it yet sadly.

I use a vac-u-tug kit and a homemade PVC raft. My buddy uses a cheap twin prop V-bottom RC boat he bought at harbor freight, and a similar PVC raft.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I used the Harbor Freight Neptune cheap RC boat. It has twin props, which help it turn better at slow speeds for rescues. However, it needs some mods, as it doesn't have a reverse and once it grabs the disabled boat it doen's turn well due to a shallow v hull. Do not use a rescue boat with a rudder. Twin props, or an "air" boat is much better.

Here’s what I made: video
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

20191010_192342.jpg
    i recently switched to a traxxas blast .reason being is it has prop steer rudder and turns much better then a conventional setup once in the pvc form .
    heres a video of it
    i run a 5000 mah lipo on it for long run time should it take awhile to hookup . i have not boated much this year so no rescue video but you can see the potential .
    of course your fork would need to be made to fit the rescues you plan to use it on .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Would a TFL genesis twin catamaran work, 2 4082 2075kvs.

Sounds like that will need a rescue boat, not be one!

Default Recovery boats

My ? is this! What kind of string do you use that will float on top of water so it won't get wrapped around the prop?
    Last edited by Norwest; 01-13-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: JUST TO FIND OUT IF FLY FISHING LINES WILL DO THE JOB.

maybe, once. Too much RPM, batteries will give out quickly, you'l overheat things quickly, same principle if you towed a car back to your house with a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwest View Post
    My ? is this! What kind of string do you use that will float on top of water so it won't get wrapped around the prop?
    If you want it to float, use fly fishing string. Pulling a floating bob of sorts, weather it's a casting plug, racket ball, cork float with hooks, will put tension on the string allowing you to circle around the stranded boat. In that scenario, you shouldn't be reversing course anyway and the string won't be your primary issue. Snagging the boat was always hit or miss for me when I breifly tried that method. Some boats sat higher or lower in the water than others, it was never the same approach twice. I much prefer the PVC/pool noodle rig. I can bring back any of my boats, including beached sailboats from the old guys club, or dead water fowl floating too close to my turn around spot.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

or dead water fowl floating too close to my turn around spot.[/QUOTE]

Yummy LMAO nothing like bringing home some fresh dinner right? JK.

How hard was the vac-u-tug kit to put together? I'm on the fence between a Tugster or the vac-u-tug.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dannygonzalez0861 View Post
    or dead water fowl floating too close to my turn around spot.
    Yummy LMAO nothing like bringing home some fresh dinner right? JK.

How hard was the vac-u-tug kit to put together? I'm on the fence between a Tugster or the vac-u-tug.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I bought mine second hand, but having been through it a number of times for various upgrades, the vac-u-tug is a much easier build and should take less time as well.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

For the last 3 seasons i have been using a Zippkits twin tugster and a retrieval rig attached to the bow at the pusher posts . the retrieval rig is made from 1/2 inch pvc pipe covered in 1/2 inch pipe insulation this set up has not failed me yet. Regards Andris Golts.

I have to build one of those...
    Nortavlag Bulc