Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 IMPBA FE Nationals - Michigan Cup

Default 2018 IMPBA FE Nationals - Michigan Cup

After a many year hiatus, MMEU will be hosting an IMPBA Fast Electric Nationals next summer. We'll combine it with our annual Michigan Cup race.

Save the date. You don't want to miss this one.

June 28,29,30 of 2018 at the Elks Lodge in Leonard, MI.

· IMPBA Sanctioned
    · Open Water Wednesday June 27nd until 5pm
    · Racing Thursday, Friday, Saturday, starts at 8:30am
    · 1/6th mile record course (6 lap sprints)
    · 8 lap Offshore Heats
    · Awards for top 3 finishers in every class
    · High points, Mr. Offshore, Concourse, Muncey Trophy for sportsmanship
    · Raffle drawings for prizes
    · On Site food and beverages available
    · Friday night welcome banquette
    · On site camping available ($20/night for power and water)

We'll get the flier posted as soon as we get it finalized.
    Last edited by T.S.Davis; 11-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Noisy person

We hope to be back Terry, mike and I were just talking about the MI cup, hopefully we will be back to enjoy some serious fun, a great event and great hosts.

What happens at boat camp......

You guys gotta come back. I need to work on Mike to get going on some shafts.
    Noisy person

Just pm me Terry what you’d like, I’ll nag him into submission......

Just told the wife to consider me GONE on those days ......2 years is to long of a break!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Just told the wife to consider me GONE on those days ......2 years is to long of a break!
    This is why Chris Rupely has been bugging me to get this settled and then posted. So guys could set aside time before women filled the calendars. haha BTW.........Chris will be calling the heats for us.

Paul, I don't need anything in particular right now. I just recognize what's possible and that there is a market for his skills.
    Noisy person

Good deal! Stuck the thread.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Good deal! Stuck the thread.
    Hugs

Once again OSE has graciously agreed to be title sponsor for our event. Steven has supported racing on a level that is unprecedented in model boating. For that at I am grateful. It makes a difference sir. I hope to thank you in person this June! hahaha

Attached is the flier.
    2018 FE Nats flier rev2.pdf
    Last edited by T.S.Davis; 11-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Noisy person

Hmmmm

Is there a reason for not having any tunnel classes on the list.

Same as for the T class, break downs, no shows, maybe 10th scale wiil be dropped too as turning left can cut the field down to 3 boats! waa hoo! Just have to run the classes offered race on.
    Cheers, Jay.

The class list is based on the guys we know will attend. We've offered tunnel many times to only have it barely make.

10th scales there are enough of just in our club to run two flights of vintage and modern.

T boats always end up a hodge podge. We start off with T mono and T cat only to end up combining them to make a heat. Then what do we call that guy? National champion of some boats we threw in the water? For just a Cup race fine. Get boats on the water but for nationals it doesn't make sense.

We have pretty good feel for our expected racers and what they own believe it or not. If closer to the race it appears a class has too little interest to make we can talk about shifting.
    Noisy person

Wow!! An IMPBA National event for your club. How sad. Your quote: "We have pretty good feel for our expected racers and what they own believe it or not" doesn't leave any room for a new guy just getting into electrics does it. Being a National event, it should offer every class listed in the rule book and have a class minimum and an entry cut off date. The classes that didn't make the minimum are cut at that time then you don't have a any heats with mixed boats in them.

Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    The class list is based on the guys we know will attend. We've offered tunnel many times to only have it barely make.

10th scales there are enough of just in our club to run two flights of vintage and modern.

T boats always end up a hodge podge. We start off with T mono and T cat only to end up combining them to make a heat. Then what do we call that guy? National champion of some boats we threw in the water? For just a Cup race fine. Get boats on the water but for nationals it doesn't make sense.

We have pretty good feel for our expected racers and what they own believe it or not. If closer to the race it appears a class has too little interest to make we can talk about shifting.
    What he said!

In the past we've offered classes and had people scramble to try to get boats together to make minimum number to have the class run. Then come the race the boat fails to show up, much less to even finish one heat. I have no interest in 2 boat heats
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

I'm pretty sure the Michigan guys know what they are doing. There is a reason they are the largest FE club in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Benedict View Post
    Wow!! An IMPBA National event for your club. How sad. Your quote: "We have pretty good feel for our expected racers and what they own believe it or not" doesn't leave any room for a new guy just getting into electrics does it. Being a National event, it should offer every class listed in the rule book and have a class minimum and an entry cut off date. The classes that didn't make the minimum are cut at that time then you don't have a any heats with mixed boats in them.

Is the P Hydro full P rigger or P limited rigger that is usually run at MMEU events?
    Last edited by mojoracer; 12-03-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212
    2022 NAMBA Nationals FE High Points Champion
    Owner www.mojoracingproducts.comTeam Driver: Black Pearl Hydroplanes

It leaves lots of room for new guys getting into electrics. Instead of posting a negative comment on something you apparently don't know much about, ask a question about a particular class you may be interested in. These guys are probably THE most accommodating group you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    It leaves lots of room for new guys getting into electrics. Instead of posting a negative comment on something you apparently don't know much about, ask a question about a particular class you may be interested in. These guys are probably THE most accommodating group you will find.
    Nice to see that you made the assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about. Let see, 19 years of nitro and gas racing, been to the IMPBA Nitro Internats 7 times of which my club hosted 5 of these and I am a US1 "E" Tunnel winner. Have done it all at those races from Entries/score keeping: pit boss, turn judge, retrieve boat and been the CD. What I am trying to get at is if it is not offered then the class will never grow. FE is just starting to pick up around here and all of it is P spec tunnel hulls. Having a minimum number for each class and a cut off date 3 weeks before the race gets rid of the 2,3 or 4 boat classes.

Approximately how many minutes does it take to do 8 offshore laps with a spec mono?

Might make it with a Very limited contingent. Wendy is hurting unit, I'm getting better a little at a time.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hope to see you there, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by mojoracer View Post
    Is the P Hydro full P rigger or P limited rigger that is usually run at MMEU events?
    The flier lists both P Hydro AND Spec Hydro (which would be our equivalent to P-limited), so we are offering 3 different Hydro (rigger) classes, Spec, P and Q.

Quote Originally Posted by mojoracer View Post
    P Hydro is full P rigger. In case you were confused.

We have run those classes at the Michigan Cup and at any National event that offers those classes
    Last edited by Ty Davis; 12-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Approximately how many minutes does it take to do 8 offshore laps with a spec mono?
    about 3 1/4 min. When we ran 4 min heats 1st place was doing 10 to 11 laps, so 8 laps would bring the time down to the 3 1/4 min or so.

Would be good to see you and Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Same as for the T class, break downs, no shows, maybe 10th scale wiil be dropped too as turning left can cut the field down to 3 boats! waa hoo! Just have to run the classes offered race on.
    Cheers, Jay.
    Jaike5. Even with 10th scale turning left, we still get a consistent amount of entries per club race. Of the 6 club races we had last season our club has had a solid 8 to 10 entries per race. This class will have some fun heats to watch.

I can appreciate that too Buddy. I think Doby's point was that MMEU knows a thing or two about hosting an electric race and what might get guys to show up.

I've been contest director for 3 FE nationals. This will be the 4th. One of those races went 522 entries. We offered tunnel at all of them. So a whole nation of boats and racers from coast to coast and they could barely muster enough boats to make. Tunnel classes have had over a decade to grow. They haven't. We're not going to offer classes that haven't shown themselves to posses the numbers. We didn't offer any 2s classes either. Because we know what guys are racing. We're involved. We're paying attention.

We know who is likely to show up. It ain't tunnel guys. It's the same guys that are willing to travel. Same guys we see at every travel race we go to. Plus or minus a handful. What would you have us do? Offer classes that we know (not guessing) won't make and cross out fingers that they'll show? Spec tunnel, P tunnel, Q tunnel. Not sure I've ever seen a Q tunnel at a race......ever. Throw in some N stock mono maybe?
    Noisy person

Nice to see that you made the assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about. Let see, 19 years of nitro and gas racing, been to the IMPBA Nitro Internats 7 times of which my club hosted 5 of these and I am a US1 "E" Tunnel winner. Have done it all at those races from Entries/score keeping: pit boss, turn judge, retrieve boat and been the CD. What I am trying to get at is if it is not offered then the class will never grow. FE is just starting to pick up around here and all of it is P spec tunnel hulls. Having a minimum number for each class and a cut off date 3 weeks before the race gets rid of the 2,3 or 4 boat classes.
    Well then you should know better than to bitch about an organisation that spends a large amount of time organizing these races.
    And the ample list of p spec classes being offered would appease 99% of any new guys.

The Michigan club knows what classes will get the people on the water.

Oh..by the way, OPC is one of my favorite classes to run.

How can someone be a "retrieve boat"?
    Last edited by Doby; 12-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Hope to see you there, Ray.
    Likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Davis View Post
    P Hydro is full P rigger. In case you were confused

I better get building that
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Davis View Post
    Jaike5. Even with 10th scale turning left, we still get a consistent amount of entries per club race. Of the 6 club races we had last season our club has had a solid 8 to 10 entries per race. This class will have some fun heats to watch.
    TyDavis, I'm sure your club has mastered the left hand turn over the season. I race what's offered, T-Cat/Mono are my personal favorites is all. You should be on full focus of your school work not next years boat race, or I'm sure there will be no racing for you. Stay focused on school and we'll see you next year.
    Cheers, Jay. race on.

Wow!! An IMPBA National event for your club. How sad.
    Some things stick with me. Sorry folks.

The implication here is (I think) that we're catering only to our club. I used to race with a guy named Paul Pachmeyer. Some know him. Paul raced FE and gas. Raced all over. He was a harsh dude. Paul once told me that I couldn't possibly know what was going on in racing unless I got out of my own damned back yard. Think he was yelling that at the time. He probably followed it with "yer an idiot Terry" True or not (the being an idiot part) I listened and so I did. Many times. Raced all over the country. East coast. West coast. Down south. Parts of Canada. 4 of us logged approximately 5000 miles traveling to races in 2017 alone. Racing only electric boats. Racing, meeting new people, seeing old friends, learning what interests them, seeing how they do what they do. Always looking at what they do to get people off the grass and on the stand. What I'm saying is.............we know some racers. We also have a pretty good idea which are willing to pack up their gear to get here. We know what they'll bring too. It's not a wild guess what will show up. It's not just what will make our club guys happy either.

The class list was submitted to the BOD. The BOD which includes the National Electric Director approved the list. They even had us change the format of one of our classes to be more rule compliant. That got heated actually. So they didn't just rubber stamp it.

FE has wayyyyy too many classes to offer them all and let the chips lie. The many many class options can keep a local FE population scattered just enough to ensure that actual heats are less likely. I take some heat for even uttering such blasphemy by the way. haha

Last thing......there hasn't been an IMPBA electric nationals in well over a decade. We were asked to do it. It wasn't just a bonus for our club. It wasn't a "Hey, lets see if we can get a nats!" kind of thing. Heck, I had to sell our guys the idea. It went more like......"A 4th nats?!?! Have you lost your mind Terry?"
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    TyDavis, I'm sure your club has mastered the left hand turn over the season. I race what's offered, T-Cat/Mono are my personal favorites is all. You should be on full focus of your school work not next years boat race, or I'm sure there will be no racing for you. Stay focused on school and we'll see you next year.
    Exactly!!! Right on Jay. Tyler didn't recognize who you were either.
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast