Thread: Far from being flat

Default Far from being flat

For my winter project I plan on blue printing my MC for offshore. Currently running 4s2p, 120a seaking esc, aqua 2030kv motor, x440 prop. No problems with this set up so far. May try a x445 and see how that goes.

But anyways, I plan on blueprinting and a paintjob (get your mind out of the gutter with the "paint job") and low and behold, when I put it on a flat surface, I'm close to being to 1/2" out of being flat. Hate to have to add that much compound to get it flat.

It is still stock as far as the hull though, have not removed the tub. I have reinforced the canopy and added thumb screws, but that's it so far as far as the hull work.

I've been doing searches, but not have been able to find anything for being this far out of being flat (probably using the wrong wordage)

Please help me out, so I can get this started. Ponds will be getting hard soon so I will have time to get this done.

John

That's a twist in the hull. Mine was dead flat when I got it, however the Miss Geico that I just finished building has a twist in it, but it's 3/16" and it shows. I didn't think to check it when the hull arrived in the mail. So, once she starts going and you start bringing on the power, she barrel rolls every damn time. The hull certainly isn't worth doing any further work to it, so now she sits. But yours being 1/2" out...that's waaaay out. I doubt that's correctable.

Heat it up, then weigh it down on a flat surface. Hopefully that will get it close enough to start blueprinting from there.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Heat it up, then weigh it down on a flat surface. Hopefully that will get it close enough to start blueprinting from there.
    That's an idea, gut out electronics, put in in the oven (maybe about 200) for a bit, till nice and warm, then weigh it down flat till it cools off. Wirth a try. Never thought of it, thanks

Oh my word,

Now that the ponds are all hardened over decided to start getting thing in order for next year.

Motley Crue was close to being 1/2 out of being "flat" "NativePaul" suggested heating up and weighing it down to try to get it flatter. Wasn't sure at first but decided to try it. 200deg in oven (actually in bbq, wouldn't fit in oven) for about 20 min. Weighted it down on flat surface after temp got up and didn't think it would work. But low and behold, it's less that paper thickness out of being flat.

Thank you Mr. Paul for the suggestion,

Hope you had a good Christmas and a better New Year,

John

Glad it worked out for you, that is brave putting it in a BBQ.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Glad it worked out for you, that is brave putting it in a BBQ.
    Indeed. I would have like to have seen pictures!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Talk about a new meaning to the saying "hot boat!" Glad that trick worked out for you. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years. You'll be rewarded by your blueprinting work. I picked up about 2 MPH (GPS) on a stock Lucas Oil setup with an X642 just by block sanding the running surfaces.
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)