Thread: NQD jet boat upgrade

Default NQD jet boat upgrade

its going to be my retreival boat....with a big big help from suckmywake I am under way and tearing out the junk parts

SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Do you have a link on how to do this upgrade and what parts to use?

Do a search on rcuniverse for nqd tear into jet boats.......51 pages
    You will be amazed how well these little suckers run when upgraded....stock boat is about $42 shipped

Any progress pics?

Quote Originally Posted by damfurst View Post
    Any progress pics?
    you know I realized I put this in the wrong forum....can a mod move this please to building?

well finally got my motor and esc
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KV-3700-Brushles...22980819534754

and suckmywake sent me some nice parts

update coming soon

here is what is possable with jet drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j6iSqkuiE

and this sickness...lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOdSA...eature=related

That is so COOL !! Made my day watching the first vid
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Do you know if it will flip back upright if you turn it over?

I'm looking for something that I can play with off the back of my boat while my wife lays out in the sun. It can get a little choppy for a boat of this size, but I think it would be a lot of fun with the amount of power.

I think I'm going to have to get mine going. I got one last year of the Canadian crawler wep page. That was funny to see the vid on it. It has a brushless set up in it when I take my jet boat up the river next time I will have to take the toy one with me. I would like to buy a swash jet set up and make a bigger one. you will have fun with it. mine has a rock gard on the intake I see yours has been taken off

Quote Originally Posted by Jmauld View Post
    Do you know if it will flip back upright if you turn it over?

I'm looking for something that I can play with off the back of my boat while my wife lays out in the sun. It can get a little choppy for a boat of this size, but I think it would be a lot of fun with the amount of power.
    This boat will not flip back upright if you turn it over. A jet drive handles different than a proped boat. Because of the water being straightened out by the stator before it goes out the nozzle. They probably would handle the chop pretty well. Here is video of mine on the creek last year http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Knock-off-V2-wmv

There is no torque roll on jet boats. They are much faster out of the hole, can turn on a dime, and are very stable. They also don't have a prop hanging down so you can run along shorelines in shallow creeks like Bigbird22 is doing in the first vid. He has changed his drive from the stock drive however. The stock drive is 19mm impeller patterned off the Graupner mini-jet. Most of the mods to this boat have been done using the stock drive. Bigbird22 stuffed a 29mm Graupner drive unit into the boat running it with Sv27 motor/esc on 14.8v. It is almost uncontrollable. The other thing with jet drives is that therre is a limit to how much speed you can get out of them. Just adding a motor with higher kv or more cells will not increase speed. At a certain point of rpms cavitation will occur and you can't make it go faster. They also require more torque from the motor than a regular proped boat. But they are still a blast to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by damfurst View Post
    This boat will not flip back upright if you turn it over. A jet drive handles different than a proped boat. Because of the water being straightened out by the stator before it goes out the nozzle. They probably would handle the chop pretty well. Here is video of mine on the creek last year http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Knock-off-V2-wmv

There is no torque roll on jet boats. They are much faster out of the hole, can turn on a dime, and are very stable. They also don't have a prop hanging down so you can run along shorelines in shallow creeks like Bigbird22 is doing in the first vid. He has changed his drive from the stock drive however. The stock drive is 19mm impeller patterned off the Graupner mini-jet. Most of the mods to this boat have been done using the stock drive. Bigbird22 stuffed a 29mm Graupner drive unit into the boat running it with Sv27 motor/esc on 14.8v. It is almost uncontrollable. The other thing with jet drives is that therre is a limit to how much speed you can get out of them. Just adding a motor with higher kv or more cells will not increase speed. At a certain point of rpms cavitation will occur and you can't make it go faster. They also require more torque from the motor than a regular proped boat. But they are still a blast to mess with.
    Thank you for the information.

For a complete noob when it comes to R/C boats, how difficult are these mods to make? I've got years of experience with R/C cars, but I'm guessing that's not going to help me much here.

I really like the idea of a R/C jet boat. Perhaps because I'll be using it off the back of this jet boat:

I guess flipping it back over isn't a huge deal, since I can just keep it close by and swim to it from wherever I'm anchored. I'm still a little concerned about the chop making it cavitate and not have any power, but at this price it's almost a no-brainer to try out. Too bad they're not RTR. :)

Will the motor/esc combination posted by bustitup be entertaining yet controllable with a 2s lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    mine has a rock gard on the intake I see yours has been taken off
    yes this is what suckmywake gave me for an upgrade for that......grate and skid guard all built into one

Quote Originally Posted by Jmauld View Post
    Thank you for the information.

For a complete noob when it comes to R/C boats, how difficult are these mods to make? I've got years of experience with R/C cars, but I'm guessing that's not going to help me much here.

I really like the idea of a R/C jet boat. Perhaps because I'll be using it off the back of this jet boat:

I guess flipping it back over isn't a huge deal, since I can just keep it close by and swim to it from wherever I'm anchored. I'm still a little concerned about the chop making it cavitate and not have any power, but at this price it's almost a no-brainer to try out. Too bad they're not RTR. :)

Will the motor/esc combination posted by bustitup be entertaining yet controllable with a 2s lipo?
    I would think that just about anybody could workover one of these boats and your experience with cars won't hurt either. If you want something that will run well in the chop and self righting then look into a Mhz Gecko or Bby warzone jr. or other similar small boat. Those with the right brushless combo are a blast.

As far as the combo posted by bustitup yes it will work on 2s but 3s would be too much for it. The ideal kv seems to be more around 2800-3200 running on 2 or 3s. The only other thing to look for is shaft size. The stock coupler is for 2.3mmX2.3mm. If you use a motor with 3.17mm shaft you'll have to change the coupler. Also the 28mm size motors will usually handle the heat better than the 20mm can size will. The thread that bustitup mentioned in an earlier post really has the most info on these boats and different mods that guys from all over have done. But if you have other questions feel free to ask. Didn't mean to hijack your thread bustitup.

That ride plate and screen you have looks great bustitup. I look forward to your progress.
    Last edited by damfurst; 07-05-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: left out info

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    yes this is what suckmywake gave me for an upgrade for that......grate and skid guard all built into one

now that will keep the rocks out. now I want one like that too! lol My river boat will go in a bout 4" of water these should go in about 1/4" to 1/2" got to get mine out
    Old Guy