Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune tips by Grim Racer

Default Tune tips by Grim Racer

Grim did a nice article on fine tuning the performance of the Mini GP1 Hydro. its in PDF format and attached to this thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Thanks Steven for starting this seciton.

Grim

Very cool Thanks guy's
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Any good videos of this little bugger tearing it up?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Steven,

I will shoot some vid today.. Lets see what I can get.. (nothing fancy mind you)

ROCK ON!

Grim

Default GP-1 Video

the video did not turn out to bad.. it was a quickie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxX1...ature=youtu.be

Grim

Holy Hydro Batman...that thing moves!!!!!!!!!

Just ordered mine!

We are trying to get a FE club started in my area, and I think this would be a great platform for a beginner's spec class.

Thanks for the tips GRIM!

hey Mike,i was at my local hobbyshop yesterday grabbing supplies.a retired gentleman came in after me and brought in one these he had bought the day before.he said he ran it once,some water got into the hull,and his ESC started smoking when he plugged the battery back in.he wasn't impressed.i told him to call Aquacraft to see what they would do for him.is there a warranty on the ESC's and such? just trying to help out a fellow who's new to the hobby.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FORT-26 View Post
    Just ordered mine!

We are trying to get a FE club started in my area, and I think this would be a great platform for a beginner's spec class.

Thanks for the tips GRIM!
    I just saw that the price has dropped from $179 to $129, this is a lot of boat for $130! My birthday is coming in a couple months and this has become very tempting. I am having a blast with my revolt, and I keep thinking having a micro sized brushless woudl be a lot of fun to run while my revolt is charging.

Even though this has been out for awhile now, I haven't seen a lot of activity on the forums about it, has anyone been running it? What are your experiences?

BC406

this little hot rod is all PERFORMANCE.. make sure he TAPES the hatch when he runs it.. (dont want to get much water in the little dude).. Also make sure he stuffs the drive shaft full of grease.

In the manual is the contact info for Hobby Services.. have him call or email.. they will take care of him.

Grim

HI Grim,

I just ordered the GP-1, should be here in a few days, I think they are sending me a 7.4 1000mah battery...... question is will it run on that battery? http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...1820&hf_type=C
    see recommend to complete

Quote Originally Posted by Gage_AB View Post
    HI Grim,

I just ordered the GP-1, should be here in a few days, I think they are sending me a 7.4 1000mah battery...... question is will it run on that battery? http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...1820&hf_type=C
    see recommend to complete
    As a side note.... I was thinking of getting the aquacraft 2600kv motor (recommended upgrade) and adding the 60 amp esc (aquacraft) with 2 11.1v batteries (like the UL1) would you see any issues with doing that?

The GP1 motor controller will not work on 2S.. sorry.. Hope you orderd the right one.

Grim

As a side note.... I was thinking of getting the aquacraft 2600kv motor (recommended upgrade) and adding the 60 amp esc (aquacraft) with 2 11.1v batteries (like the UL1) would you see any issues with doing that?
    The 2600KV motor is the one I like for the boat. Having said this the 60amp ESC will not fit in this boat and or any other combo or battery other then what it is designed for.
    Keep us posted

Grim

Good move keep them from messing it up.
    Great boat just not my style nor do I have smooth water like that often.
    Mike
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Hi Mike:

At the end of the pdf you attached in your first post you mentioned that prop info was to follow.....well?????

Well they did in fact ship the wrong batteries, they have shipped the right ones which will arrive next week. I picked up one locally just so I can try it out on the weekend.... I am guessing since I can't change out the esc, running 2 11.1v 1000mah in parallel is out of the question also? I was just looking to extend the run time but that may not be the best idea?

Okay now I am kind of confused.... I was talking to the boat guy at a local hobby store... he runs a minimono.... the confusing part is that the mini has a 20 amp esc and a 28-30 motor, both smaller than the GP-1 but yet the battery rating is 1000 to 1600 mah? What is the difference? Prop size?

Ok so took the boat out twice, both times it tried to dive like a sub... multiple times... tried punch launch from stop... it dived... tried moving battery back as far as possible. ... it dives.... so far, this has not been a good experience. ... anyone have suggestions please....

Is the strut adjustable on these? If so, can you raise it to help plant the transom and kep the nose up? Did you try launching by tossing it in the water with some throttle?

Yes it is adjustable though I have not touched it yet. I did try a few tosses but they ended without success. Aquacraft and Tombsy (member on RC SParks) have both told me this is a normal behaviour for a hydroplane. You are supposed to let it submerge then when it bobs back up hit the throttle. I have yet to try this, but I will on the weekend. I am hoping to make a few improvements as suggested by Grim so we will see what happens. I was going to buy the 2600kv motor but I want to see if I can get the hull on top of the water instead of underneath. If I can do that then I will concider the motor, if not, that money can go to a mono which I am pretty sure I can keep above the water.....

air traps.jpg

Built some airtraps... they didn't have 3/16th so I had to go to 1/4 figured its better to be 1/16th deeper than 1/16th short....

Air traps attached.... untested atm...
    20140823_202547.jpg

Ok so took the boat out twice, both times it tried to dive like a sub... multiple times... tried punch launch from stop... it dived... tried moving battery back as far as possible. ... it dives.... so far, this has not been a good experience. ... anyone have suggestions please....
    I also am having this problem with boat not getting up on plane....I'm going to build air traps, and do all the other suggested mods, and will report. This thing is pretty fast in stock form. Once I can get it handling well, I'll probably go ahead and upgrade the motor. FUN BOAT!

Just be very careful with the glue, it is like super glue... very good chance to glue yourself, if you get some on your finger, just don't touch anything, it will peel off the next day. Not that I did that :) As far as getting on plane, I wrote Aquacraft, their response below....

It's normal to toss a boat into the water at full throttle with a flat level motion to get it on plane. If you toss it, the boat should get on plane quickly. In the water, what you see is normal, the boat may require you to wiggle the rudder or release the throttle as it submerges and then quickly apply full throttle to get the boat on plane.

Air traps further info....
    I made mine 9 inches per side, trimmed back 1 inch on the first one then traced the same curve on the second with a pen so they would be close to the same. I also filed the edge that is running in the water from outside to inside with a nail file from nail clippers... it doesn't take much pressure, also filed the back curve part to take off the rough edge from cutting. When you go to put them on the boat, fit them first, I found I needed to cut about 1/16th off the end tab. Once in place with the glue, I smoothed them down with a screw driver, you only have about 30 seconds before the glue starts setting up so be sure of your placement before you apply the glue. I ran a bead of glue down one side about 1/8 inch wide. Place the air trap then wait about 5 minutes before you do the second one so that the first is firmly set.

So you know.. Airtraps have nothing to do with getting the boat on plane but at speed they do work well to stabilize the boat.

Prop is EVERYTHING when it comes to getting the boat on plane..

Grim

Thanks Grim, I kind of figured that but good to have it confirmed. Is there a better prop choice than stock to help a beginner like me get on plane easier? or any thing else I can do? You make it look so easy in your vid....

I have a Octra 430 prop but it is not sharpened or balanced, would this be a good option if I put in the time or maybe there is something better?
    Last edited by Gage_AB; 08-26-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Hi Mike:

At the end of the pdf you attached in your first post you mentioned that prop info was to follow.....well?????
    O yea.. I have not been keeping up with this.. we do have a new prop coming.. Its going to be stock on the Miss Seattle. Not sure I can get it on the GP-1 yet..

What blue in color and launches like a banshee. yep.. the new 40.5 blue beast from AquaCraft. (Should be available soon)

Grim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast