Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Seven NEW NAMBA FE SAW Records set this weekend

sales@battlepack.com please e-mail me, i need some

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    That address doesn't work, Steve. Good to hear from you too. I have more NIB V90-1032's if you or anybody else needs them.

Hi Alan, Doug, Terry, Steve, ...

Andy

I never said it was easy Darin, I went with Ed back in the early 90's and he tweeked for hours. I was talking about the prop and what it's capable at RPM.
    I am done here...

thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Yup.. it's that simple... (hahahahahahaahaha)

Nervous? I think some of you ought to come give it a try before you decide just how "easy" it is to obtain some of these speeds.

Please... COME DO IT! You won't regret the experience...

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    oops i guess i opened a can there.

Wilmer, you were a real cool guy when i met you at the la saws some time ago, but i have to say im not a fan of novak. Had one of their systems fry out of the box then i drove to their location and was treated like a piece of crap, had a tech on hand but didn't want to serve a customer that was physically there, the turned me away and made me wait a week to get it back. Then they returned it in a condition that was not to the standard of the item purchased and the sensor wire effs up every now and then and you have to jiggle it about to get it to go again, try telling that to a turn marshal. No its not broken you just have to jiggle the wire on that brand new 180 dollar motor esc combo. Ive been hoping they would go out of business ever since. Spoke to bryan newman and several others about the issues but never really resolved the matter. So crap products , bad customer service and a price point that is average. What is there to like?
    PM Bill is you have to bash him or Novack. He loves the company. Give the guy a break.

Don't you remember this quote??

I think someone needs to start a new thread if people want to discuss alternative P-Ltd motors, ESCs, or ??? Just to keep the conversations coherent... There really shouldn't be any need for controversy in this otherwise positive NAMBA SAW thread...
    Personalty I am done hear I have work to do and I am going to unsubscribe to this thread.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    PM Bill is you have to bash him or Novack. He loves the company. Give the guy a break.

Don't you remember this quote??

Personalty I am done hear I have work to do and I am going to unsubscribe to this thread.
    Thanks Randy, the little frustrated bang head against the wall avitar cracks me up.

Good afternoon Shaugnessy, out of respect for the hard work and great job these men did at the SAWS I refuse to address anything more on this thread, this was Definitely PM material, but the short of it is:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, sometimes timing can be bad with ANY company (and believe me I've worked with most). contact cs@teamnovak.com and your issue will be ressolved.

Thank you

So now the bitching has settled :)

Congrats to you guys!

Sorry to hear you couldn't up the Tunnel record again Brian! and that you lost a motor while trying!

Cheers
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Flynn View Post
    So now the bitching has settled :)

Congrats to you guys!

Sorry to hear you couldn't up the Tunnel record again Brian! and that you lost a motor while trying!

Cheers
    Kris
    Thanks Kris,
    Just part of the game. Every once in a while you lose something.

Those cables you made for me are fantastic! Actually dropped the current draw a little. Very smooth.

As usual, came back with tons of new data. Changing direction a little on the tunnel motor. I had a spare for the one I lost, but decided to try something a little different after playing with a couple combinations in the spec rigger. Boat went right back to 70mph with a very mild prop and better handling.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Those cables you made for me are fantastic! Actually dropped the current draw a little. Very smooth.
    Now that is VERY interesting to hear!

I love your attitude Brian
    Just part of the game. Every once in a while you lose something.
    haha

Hopefully we have some good weather in 2 months for our SAW so i can get back up in the 70's...had a couple of minor dramas last SAW with leaving water lines off (inside the boat) and such, plus i was more focused on my P (EA for us) Sport Hydro going over 80MPH :)

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    As soon as I began posting vids on youtube of record & near-record runs, I began getting PM's and e-mails asking "what set-ups are these?." I would imagine some people just wanted to know this for pure informational reasons, but I'd bet that some folks want to duplicate these setups on their own builds for the purpose of making cool runs like the ones pictured, unaware of what goes on behind the scenes. I'd say that for every record run, there's at least a half-dozen or more of what's pictured in these vid's. Some are more destructive than others; Boyd lost a $100 dollar hatch , Tyler turned a high-dollar speedy into smelly goo, and poor Brian LOST his 103 mph boat to a curious but unfortunately located Legg turtle ( I can't picture what went through that turtle's mind when he popped his head up and saw a 100+mph missle coming straight at him; Hmm..what the f#*k ? KA-BOINK!) It took me three days of waiting for the water to calm down enough to make the two back-to-back passes for a record-Sunday I sat for EIGHT hours before even trying.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nkk_AWdfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Rsqt7Vo-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vpI3yu3Cw
    Tony I'm still ticket you were not able to catch my blow-over clinic a couple years ago ! Ha ha , keep up the good work !
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    Tony I'm still ticket you were not able to catch my blow-over clinic a couple years ago ! Ha ha , keep up the good work !
    Good to hear from you. Remember this ? (saved it for that "special build " - was perfect for the application )

DSC02723.JPG DSC02781.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Good to hear from you. Remember this ? (saved it for that "special build " - was perfect for the application )

DSC02723.JPG DSC02781.JPG
    Sure do ! Was my very first run of the mill, they have gotten a bit better now :) going to crank some more out in the future forsure using thicker black cf .....
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

It really bothers me to see a thread where info is not shared. I watched this forum grow from a few members to now over 8000. It grew because it was based on sharing info that the red forum racers would not. Hats off to the record setters, but sharing setups is what helped make this forum. Few can match what you guys have done, but sharing knowledge so others can try it is what makes this hobby what it is.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    It really bothers me to see a thread where info is not shared. I watched this forum grow from a few members to now over 8000. It grew because it was based on sharing info that the red forum racers would not. Hats off to the record setters, but sharing setups is what helped make this forum. Few can match what you guys have done, but sharing knowledge so others can try it is what makes this hobby what it is.
    Can't win man... Slammed if we share and people burn *!***!***!***!** up because of it... slammed if we don't. Fact of the matter is that, even with all of the numbers, it's the combo, tweaking, and tuning, and a lot of luck thrown in, that makes this stuff happen. It's running *!***!***!***!** on the ragged edge and taking some chances.

Sorry, but sharing info on setups like that is really kind of irresponsible in a forum such as this. I would have to say that all of us involved in these events have shared a TON of information on this and other forums. We're always glad to help with real-world setups. It's impossible, however, to share the real pertinant info to put them over the top. Not sure how you share that kind of experience in type.

Take it from Tony... come to an event and you'll see the kind of sharing you seek... It's simply not something that can be typed.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I used to share lots of setup info on the forums. But you get told often enough that the setups you share are inappropriate or irresponsible and you stop going to the effort after a while. Then there are the guys who say it can't possibly be done with that combination, after you spoon feed them everything you just set a record with. Do you have any idea how much flack I took when I ran a stock UL-1 through the traps at 65 mph the weekend it was introduced at the hobby show? Then I had the nerve to tell people what the SAW setup was (that fried more than a few esc's and motors). We certainly don't want to get into what can and can't be done with a P-Ltd rigger.

Doesn't matter if it's a SAW combo or heat race setup, I won't post them on an open forum anymore.

It's a little like a few of my fellow students in high school physics; you can't force them to do the homework, but you don't have to do it for them either (didn't matter how cute they were). The general info is out there, all the rest comes with a lot of thinking/building/testing. Those who are serious about it will do the homework and build/buy/make what they need to get the job done.

I'll answer any question I get asked at the events, just ask Tony (or anyone else who shows up).

So just for entertainment purposes-

The N2 Rigger:
    4 yrs old- 60+ passes between 85 and 103.6mph. 7 Solid crashes, several booms and one sponson repaired twice. 1 repaint. Held up to everything but a turtle at 95+. Turned 46k rpm exiting the traps on the record run. 368 amps max current. Total weight 3 1/4 pounds taped and ready to get wet. The target weight on the replacement is 2 3/4 pounds all up.

Motor- Neu (only a few options in the appropriate kV, the one I used is SO only)
    ESC- Castle Creations (again, only a couple in the line will really get the job done)
    Battery- GrimRacer Speed Pack (only 2 sizes of 2S pack available)
    Radio- Futaba (603FS rx, S3002/S3016 servo arguably the most reliable metal gear mini on the market for the past 15+ years)
    Prop- Octura (break out the crystal ball, I'm not telling. But again, there are only a few appropriate to the task so you'll only spend ~$150 getting one of each to start with)
    Strut- Speedmaster
    Rudder- Knife Blade
    Drive shaft- .150 cable w/Teflon (would you believe there's a ton of work in getting this just right and a couple really sneaky tricks)
    Hull- Unobtainium (you're going to have to scratch build that part, this one was a one off carbon/foam hull)

That's a whole lot more info than it appears to be, it narrows the research window a lot. As my favorite physics prof used to say: "You have your assignment. Now get to work and try to get it right". Final exam to be held at several optional sites across the country (LA, Flint, Valdosta, Huntsville, Elizabeth City). I'll be in LA for the October exam.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I completly understand why SAW set up info isn't shared. Some one will see the info, slap that prop on their boat and then try to go run for 5 min at wot, then they burn up some equipment and the person sends the advice giver a nasty pm or email about how their set up burned down their boat and its all their fault. Or maybe you share a heat set up and the same thing happens or any set up for that matter.

I remember when i got my first boat, a sv27 and ran a x646/3 on 14-16 nihm cells. Everyone told me how it was too much prop and i shouldn't recommend it to others , bla bla, bla. It took 21 nihm cells to take out the stock 45 amp speedo with that prop, and it was damn fast for the 5 passes it made.

I would love to see less people on this forum and more people at the lake, so i'm on board with Tony and the others, if you really want to know the info come out to a race, the guys there will share some tips and secrets with you, keep in mind they are likely running 3 or more classes so you can't expect them to stop everything to help you, but if you are patient they will surely help, or that has been my personal experience.

I feel that there should be more venues for racers across the country to race at, even if it is at a club level. I don't think this will happen by sharing set up info over an internet forum but rather by going to existing venues to network with racers, bring a friend along and introduce them the hobby properly. Think about what is going to be more powerful, one boat ripping by, or 6. There is a little bit more excitement involved when 3 boats are battling for the lead and then the 4 and 5 boats collide or something crazy. A bit more difficult to convey the excitement and energy involved in rc boating on the internet then in person.

I'll stop rambling now, not sure if this is even relevant

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    Reddy, I respect your contributions to this forum; they've always been generous and informative .Just so you know, I get 3 to four pm's a week and several phone calls asking for setup info. I handle them the best I can although I question my own worthiness as a source . I can't imagine how many queries Darin and Brian get; they know way more than I'll ever know. I'm confident that what we share keeps things going in a positive direction as it does on open forum. [As an aside, between Darin and myself, over 8600 OSE forum posts - a high percentage of which are answers to member questions]

As far as sharing SAW setup info, here goes. I set up seven boats for WWVIII in this year; spent a bundle not only on the boats but support gear. Drove 400 miles to Arizona, raced for three days sunup to sundown, packed up, drove 400 miles back to L.A., rested for two days, prepped my one SAW boat, got up at 3:30 a.m., drove to Legg, helped set up the equipment. Waited, waited,waited,waited,waited. Ran the lights. Blew the return.Waited,waited,waited,waited,waited, ran, blew the retutrn. Shifted cg, ran the lights, blew over.Waited,waited,waited,waited,waited, changed strut angle, ran the lights, blew over, re-shifted cg, waited,waited,waited,waited,waited, ran the lights. Not good enough. Weighed batteries, added ballast.Waited, waited,waited,waited, ran the lights, not fast enough but close. Drove 33 miles home, collapsed in bed.Woke up late in same clothes, jammed to lake. Waited,waited,waited,waited,waited,ran the lights, broke driveshaft & dinged prop. Changed motor, changed batteries. Waited,waited,waited,waited,waited,waited, ran the lights - record pass but blew over on run-off. Couldn't retrieve boat in five minutes allotted. Drove home after dark, collapsed in bed after lugging 80 lb charger power supply battery to garage to recharge. Woke up in same clothes at 3:30 a.m., dragged my 67 year-old sagging a** to lake, helped unload timing equipment. For next EIGHT hours I waited,waited,waited,waited for good water, walked in circles, waited,waited,waited, annoyed other racers with inane conversations, waited, waited, walked in circles, waited,waited, petted Buddy the SAW dog, waited,waited, polished of the last donuts, waited,waited,waited, had long informative philosophical conversation with Buddy, waited,waited,waited,waited. Finally water / wind layed down and got record. Trust me when I say this is only part of the formula involved with getting a record. I left out a lot of bench-wrenching, head scratching, pestering other racers for advice and encouragemant while they had their own headaches and tribulations. As far as the boat goes, that was the easy part. It was a DrifterS I bought used with stock inline rudder, .078 wire, T-120B speedy with stock timing, 4S2P 4000 Dinogy batteries. Brian gave me the prop. It is a stock ABC nicely sharpened & bent back in shape after it hit rudder when shaft broke.

Blame me if you will for being protective of my setup (was I ever really)? An ENORMOUS amount of blood, sweat and tears goes into acheiving these results/records and I wish anyone who believes these setups should be easily and openly shared think for a minute about asking a racer, who poured his heart soul into a boat, to just publicize his specs to anyone who asks. Come to a race, get in the mix, demonstrate that you'll put out the above kind of effort (and the bucks and preparation/testing and test failures this level of competition entails) and I'll open my book for you. So will others, I believe . But just hit me with "what's your setup" ? It's in the preceding paragraph. It's WAAY more than something easily arrived at, and in no way leads to repeatability through rote duplication especially if that's someone's agenda . As Darin put it : "It's simply not something that can be typed". If this is understandable, so much the better. If not..................
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-20-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I can see it now. ABC's new Raptor series specialty props. Higher efficency, faster speeds, and lower operating temps.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I can see it now. ABC's new Raptor series specialty props. Higher efficency, faster speeds, and lower operating temps.
    Where is that "LIKE" button again???

As far as sharing SAW setup info, here goes..... Waited, waited,waited,waited, ran the lights, not fast enough but close.
    That about sums it up! Nice work, Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    I completly understand why SAW set up info isn't shared. Some one will see the info, slap that prop on their boat and then try to go run for 5 min at wot, then they burn up some equipment and the person sends the advice giver a nasty pm or email about how their set up burned down their boat and its all their fault. Or maybe you share a heat set up and the same thing happens or any set up for that matter.

I remember when i got my first boat, a sv27 and ran a x646/3 on 14-16 nihm cells. Everyone told me how it was too much prop and i shouldn't recommend it to others , bla bla, bla. It took 21 nihm cells to take out the stock 45 amp speedo with that prop, and it was damn fast for the 5 passes it made.

I would love to see less people on this forum and more people at the lake, so i'm on board with Tony and the others, if you really want to know the info come out to a race, the guys there will share some tips and secrets with you, keep in mind they are likely running 3 or more classes so you can't expect them to stop everything to help you, but if you are patient they will surely help, or that has been my personal experience.

I feel that there should be more venues for racers across the country to race at, even if it is at a club level. I don't think this will happen by sharing set up info over an internet forum but rather by going to existing venues to network with racers, bring a friend along and introduce them the hobby properly. Think about what is going to be more powerful, one boat ripping by, or 6. There is a little bit more excitement involved when 3 boats are battling for the lead and then the 4 and 5 boats collide or something crazy. A bit more difficult to convey the excitement and energy involved in rc boating on the internet then in person.

I'll stop rambling now, not sure if this is even relevant
    Spot on target my friend…and you’re not rambling.

Yep, and a bargain at $119.95 each.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I really envy you guys being able to run SAW stuff. Back when I was doing it, we all ran our oval boats basically in oval trim, maybe propped up a little. None of the purpose-built boats, nothing special. My P-Hydro SAW record back then (39.xxx MPH) is slower than an N1 today.

I don't blame anybody for not sharing. The doubters, hecklers, and haters can be pretty annoying. Just keep moving the speeds upwards!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

hey tony what hull were you using for your lso p limited??

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    hey tony what hull were you using for your lso p limited??
    Drifter S

Was that Whitt's old boat?
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Was that Whitt's old boat?
    I got my first one from Pachmeyer in 2005. This one I got from Chili - not sure if he was the original owner

What's Dennis doing these days?

Andy

Holy crap! An Andy sighting.

Dennis fell on hard times when the auto market crashed and burned. He sold all his gear for pennies on the dollar. Not sure what he's up to now. It was kind of a bummer losing him. The guy drove me absolutely crazy but he was the idea guy and I was the rubber to the road guy. That 05 nats monstrosity would not have happened without Dennis.

He was an excellent builder. I asked if that was his Drifter because he built the sickest one I'd ever seen. I learned a lot from Dennis.
    Noisy person

If you see him tell him he stills owes Alan and me money for boat camp. And also tell he we retired the mercy minute in his honor.

If you see him, tell him to e-mail me. I still have my Montana Design and andykunz.us accounts.

Andy

Talking

I still own FOUR of the 4-cell compatible versions... Not sure what to do with them, but I have them still!!
    Ha ha , I thought those were extinct Darin' ?. I haven't seen one around these parts for a long, long, long time . I like playing around with cool ol' stuff. I recently picked up a pair of Cordite's and a pair of Astroflight hydro esc's too. I have yet to fry an Astroflight, old skool they may be, reliable they are .

Congrats on the new records guys .Too bad there's not enough interest in fe to get a group started here. Hopefully that'll change since TQ speedway went tits up. Now the short course guys are Sol .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast