Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70 mph DF 33

Andy,
    I tested the clone again this morning. Top speed on the Andym special M645 + S&B + cup was 109 kph so not as fast as the 113 kph run but I can put that down to 2 things.
    1. I moved the Lipo about 1/2 and inch further forward to keep the nose down a little.
    2. I ran the trim tabs a little lower than before so they may have been partially in the water when the nose was riding high.
    I will re-adjust those 2 things next time.

After 5 runs with the above prop I gave it 2 runs on the untested M645 + S&B + cup + back cut prop. The speed instantly went to 112 kph so it was 3 kph faster than the M645 + S&B + cup prop. In theory this prop should give us a little over 72 mph if I can get the boat dialed in right again.

Videos below. Video 6 & 7 are with the back cut prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYcfnGkP7gk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBm8cMOysU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHQNtQVuuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFRyiDh0KmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2coW9FtyOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tse21A9ggp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRsezKV3XQ
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

Wow, goes to show that prop that is back & bar cut unloads real nice. You can hear the extra RPM from vid 5 to vid 6. Very calm water you will find more speed with a bit more ripple on the water, lift the tabs up or remove them and it did not look like going over mate so maybe go 1/2 way back with the pack. At this speed even very small amounts of CG change can reap rewards.
    Looking good mate ( the boat that is )

Hey XZess, what are you shooting the video with and format you are uploading...great quality....and damn fine runs as well. She sings... thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Hey XZess, what are you shooting the video with and format you are uploading...great quality....and damn fine runs as well. She sings... thats for sure.
    You will laugh when I tell you it is my cell phone Jeff. I have a Nokia N82 that I got from ebay. I have a $1000 digital camera and a $1750 digital video camera that sit in the draw because the cell phone out preforms both of them. It has a great Garmin GPS in it as well. I often use it for email and threads and posts on OSE when I am at work. If they can just make one that makes breakfast it would be great.
    The video format is mp4

I really do not know why that boat is so fast. I often wonder if the motor got the wrong sticker on it at the factory.

116 kph or 72.08 mph today. Thank you again Andy for those magic props.

This morning I went to the lake with heated packs for the first time with this boat. First run was 114 kph or 70.84 mph and an interesting ending as you will see from the video.
    Second run was 116 kph or 72.08 mph and another interesting ending.
    I really think this boat is capable of more speed if I can just keep the nose down and stop the blow overs. I will start shifting the weight forward to do this.

The video below will show you why our hobby can be dangerous at times. Spectators beware of the flying boat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6WGGaxEoj4

Another long jump with the boat in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkXsZH0MX5Y

116 kph

Crash Damage from the second blow over

Inside after the crash. No damage here. Battery tray and motor are still secure.

Paddy,

Sorry to see the crash, looks like you're a lucky man, boat is still in one piece. The hatch can be fixed. BTW where are your packs placed?

Quote Originally Posted by westbeach View Post
    Paddy,

Sorry to see the crash, looks like you're a lucky man, boat is still in one piece. The hatch can be fixed. BTW where are your packs placed?
    Neal, If you look at the picture below you will see the rear of the pack almost touches the motor. The Hydra 240 hides most of the pack but I can get a better pic if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by westbeach View Post
    Paddy,

where are your packs placed?
    Neal,
    I just got a better picture of where the pack sits. It has moved a little because of the crashes but I sit it in the middle of the Velcro strips with the back of the pack almost touching the motor. The straps hold it secure when they are done up.

Paddy ... if you don't mind, how is the stinger set as far as the angle goes. I have mine neutral at the moment but I think it needs to be angled down a bit from the way the giant rooster tail looked and the 42.7 mph gps.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

LOL, that crash reminds me of my DF 26, it's fun when it lands back on it's feet! Good speed man!!

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Paddy ... if you don't mind, how is the stinger set as far as the angle goes. I have mine neutral at the moment but I think it needs to be angled down a bit from the way the giant rooster tail looked and the 42.7 mph gps.
    Mine is set neutral also Chuck. The prop is an M645 with the works. I really do not think this is a 1515 1.5y motor. As you can hear it screams on 5s1p. The funny part about it all is my Xzess 2 rigger never went as fast on this motor.
    I think 75 mph is not beyond this setup if I can keep it on the water. As you can see my runs are very short and I think with longer runs I would get a bit more speed. That is fast for a mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    LOL, that crash reminds me of my DF 26, it's fun when it lands back on it's feet! Good speed man!!
    Thanks and I have to agree about the fun part. My boat is damaged but I have a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    Mine is set neutral also Chuck. The prop is an M645 with the works. I really do not think this is a 1515 1.5y motor. As you can hear it screams on 5s1p. The funny part about it all is my Xzess 2 rigger never went as fast on this motor.
    I think 75 mph is not beyond this setup if I can keep it on the water. As you can see my runs are very short and I think with longer runs I would get a bit more speed. That is fast for a mono.
    I don't have any video but my rooster was much higher leading me to think I need to adjust the stinger a bit.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

have you considered running 5s2p and putting the packs alongside the motor? The bit of extra weight may keep it planted plus double the c rating and capacity!

I don't have any video but my rooster was much higher leading me to think I need to adjust the stinger a bit.
    Yes that rooster is wasted energy as you know. Looks good but does nothing. I know you would have cupped the prop so I wont ask.
    If you look close at the picture that shows the damaged hatch you will see another little trick I used.

Yes that rooster is wasted energy as you know. Looks good but does nothing. I know you would have cupped the prop so I wont ask.
    If you look close at the picture that shows the damaged hatch you will see another little trick I used.
    Paddy my eyesight is not what it used to be ... I know it isn't the ton of tape on the boat.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Paddy my eyesight is not what it used to be ... I know it isn't the ton of tape on the boat.
    Actually it is what I have done with the tape in certain areas of the hatch to get the air to flow better. I would like to design a more aerodynamic hatch for this boat. 2/10th's of nothing I know but it makes me feel better.
    It is a pity I did not tape the whole hatch and my repair would be a little easier as I would probably have the broken pieces I could just epoxy back on. Now some fish is looking at them and wondering who or what polluted his home.
    Time to get the BBY rigger ready for more fun tomorrow morning.

Actually it is what I have done with the tape in certain areas of the hatch to get the air to flow better. I would like to design a more aerodynamic hatch for this boat. 2/10th's of nothing I know but it makes me feel better.
    It is a pity I did not tape the whole hatch and my repair would be a little easier as I would probably have the broken pieces I could just epoxy back on. Now some fish is looking at them and wondering who or what polluted his home.
    Time to get the BBY rigger ready for more fun tomorrow morning.
    Ok ... that makes sense. I was wondering why you had tape in areas that didn't help seal the boat.

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Paddy I should of told you about the thin hatches, it is the same on the original!! I used some glass on the inside to strengthen then just epoxy and micro balloons to fill the damaged area. Sand and paint. It comes up OK and once you strengthen the hatch from the inside seems to stop the problem of the glass flexing and cracking out the gel coat.

I don't have any video but my rooster was much higher leading me to think I need to adjust the stinger a bit
    Chuck how high up is the bottom of your strut? Also looks can be deceiving, when my stru is level with last 4" of keel it appears to be angled down when on the stand. I have found that with anymore than a tiny bit of down angle my DY will stuff itself when on chop over 55

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Paddy I should of told you about the thin hatches, it is the same on the original!! I used some glass on the inside to strengthen then just epoxy and micro balloons to fill the damaged area. Sand and paint. It comes up OK and once you strengthen the hatch from the inside seems to stop the problem of the glass flexing and cracking out the gel coat.
    Thanks Andy. I will repair it as you said.
    What can I say about your props. I to you and to you.
    Well mate the new DF 33 might be handy when it gets here if this one keeps blowing over.

I think there is some credence in the 2 pack here, it has great attitude when running just to light when it hits its wake at 116.

Andy the center line of the stinger is 8mm higher than the keel and the stinger is 89 mm from the transom. So the prop (modded Prather 225s) is about 95 mm from the transom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

That sounds about right on the height and I found the length from the transom has more to do where it is in relation the the rudder although my handling improved when I cut mine back to 60mm.
    Never liked that prop much at all, found it slower than anything else

So maybe a M645 would be better as this is what I had planned on at the beginning,
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

What motor, esc?

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    What motor, esc?
    Neu 1515 1Y and an Etti 150.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

What is the hull in the pic? It is not a DF, looks like a Rico?
    I the m645 with mods for calm water and a m447 on chop, both with a little cup at the tips and back cut a couple of deg. The 47 also likes a little bit of edge cup, not much though.
    The fastest two props I have tried are a x648 cut back to 47 and a x447/7 cut back to 46 with a lot of mods to unload it,

The hull is an El Lobo IV. The 225 has a bit of tongue taken off and is back cut. I will cup the 225 a bit and see how things go. If things don't improve I will go with the M645 cupped.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Cool

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast