Thread: Looking for a boat.

Default Looking for a boat.

OK guys..I started a new thread. I was looking at a used Zonda, but am going to pass on it. What I'm looking for is a fast stable boat. I want it at least 36" and I would love twin motors, but I don't know if that will work. It would be nice if it self write itself. I will buy new or used depending the condition. Any ideas?

I
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
    OK guys..I started a new thread. I was looking at a used Zonda, but am going to pass on it. What I'm looking for is a fast stable boat. I want it at least 36" and I would love twin motors, but I don't know if that will work. It would be nice if it self write itself. I will buy new or used depending the condition. Any ideas?
    I saw your other thread, you mentioned running with the 1:1 boat, how is the water? Boats such as the Zonda only like smooth water.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I I saw your other thread, you mentioned running with the 1:1 boat, how is the water? Boats such as the Zonda only like smooth water.
    Where I boat, sometimes it's like glass. most of the time there is a slight breeze. I think, from what I have been reading the V bottom boats would be better for me. I want something really fast, and have no problem with doing upgrades soon after. The 2 that were said so far were the TFL Outerlimits and Sonic Wave self right. What is the good and bad of them and are there other options?

How fast is really fast?
    like 70?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhg8ESVuVQ

With the spacing a twin requires is probably out of the question for the Pro Boat Sonicwake 36.
    unless you were interested in a serious mod. Some fiberglass work to put a bump in the flood chamber, a W drive from ArrowShark, and a big single motor.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

I don't want to go to the extent of adding twins to a single. Just looking for a nice larger style sturdy boat. I have no problem doing some mods to make it faster.
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Your going to be hard pressed to find what your after (Mono 36" with twins and self righting) Seen a few twin mono's in SAW runs, but to purchase them your going to pay a premium if they decide to sell (there not self righting either)

No...I never said twins in a mono.

I think 50-60mph it a nice target on smooth water. I’m thinking the Voracity here by Proboat but I think it is discontinued. On rough water you’d be hard pressed to keep anything over 30mph on the water.

Just for reference here are a couple vids of mine(not a Voracity but similar), the later half is the mono:
    https://youtu.be/ciaCIMZ_mUA
    And same boat on here in rougher water:
    https://youtu.be/FrNrcNdbH6A

I think 50-60mph it a nice target on smooth water. I’m thinking the Voracity here by Proboat but I think it is discontinued. On rough water you’d be hard pressed to keep anything over 30mph on the water.

Just for reference here are a couple vids of mine(not a Voracity but similar), the later half is the mono:
    https://youtu.be/ciaCIMZ_mUA
    And same boat on here in rougher water:
    https://youtu.be/FrNrcNdbH6A
    I was looking at that. Also the traxxas spartan. Is the one your talking about self-righting?

I was looking at that. Also the traxxas spartan. Is the one your talking about self-righting?
    I don’t believe it is but if you are already on a boat you can likely retrieve it before it would flip back over on its own.
    Mono’s don’t really flip much anyway, at least that is my finding.

I don’t believe it is but if you are already on a boat you can likely retrieve it before it would flip back over on its own.
    Mono’s don’t really flip much anyway, at least that is my finding.
    Okay, so out of the V 36"+ boats out there, what has the better parts out of the box? I have a question about the prop shaft support. I read somewhere that it's easier to maintain when the prop is attached to the housing that connects to the boat. I saw it somewhere where the guy removed the entire support and the prop was attached. Just thinking.

Okay, so out of the V 36"+ boats out there, what has the better parts out of the box? I have a question about the prop shaft support. I read somewhere that it's easier to maintain when the prop is attached to the housing that connects to the boat. I saw it somewhere where the guy removed the entire support and the prop was attached. Just thinking.
    Sorry bud, Saturday bank/bills runaround day. I think you are meaning running a solid flexcable as compared to a two piece system that some of the RTR’s come with. Easier for disassembly and maintenance yes. There are also things to do to ease the frequency of said maintenance. But that can be sought out later. I think OSE here has a RTR Raider 34” as well as the Proboat offerings. Let me dig around a bit

Where in NY are you?
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

This one is decent: https://tflnorthamerica.com/product/...by-party-artr/ As is the Ariane here on OSE: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=TFL-1124L-F The SonicWake is all right but it is a plastic hull(generally not a long term sound investment).
    And really aside from the aforementioned two piece flex (easy fix) the Pursuit is a solid runner as is! I have two. But it is just 31” long

Yea know what:
    This thread and "Zonda" by the OP has gone on long enough. He has heard enough from "experts on FE" to make a decision. There are many threads/post on this Forums on all boats listed to him (good or bad) and how to update, make it run faster/better.

He's trolling, He's been a member on this forum since 2016

Why dont people like the two piece system of standard boats such as TFL ? I think it is great, especially to be worry free of flex shaft contraction?

Quote Originally Posted by emilwilkens View Post
    Why dont people like the two piece system of standard boats such as TFL ? I think it is great, especially to be worry free of flex shaft contraction?
    I think it could be a good system.ive never run one. As long as you can keep the flex from getting water contamination it would be great. The prop will then push on the back of the boat as a full size instead of pushing through the motor within the hull. Different tuning involved but just something to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    Yea know what:
    This thread and "Zonda" by the OP has gone on long enough. He has heard enough from "experts on FE" to make a decision. There are many threads/post on this Forums on all boats listed to him (good or bad) and how to update, make it run faster/better.

He's trolling, He's been a member on this forum since 2016
    First off Relax Johnc with 87 posts ,yes I have been a member since 2016. I started one thread about asking what's good back then. My priorities changed and had not been on since. I started the Zonda thread and ended it. I'm 48 years old, not a kid or a troll..you got to be kidding..With that said thanks for the ideas guys. I'll look at them all. I'm still learning what the best type of batteries are ect..that's why I'm asking questions and that's how people learn.

Guys, can you explain the 2 piece systems? Remember I will be running in salt water and WILL clean and flush every time, but the less taking apart each time the better. Also I'm starting to get that The better boats aren't self righting I assume. How hard are they to flip? I will go with any as long as I don't have to fetch it all the time. Also my real boat is a 34ft cruiser, so starting it up to get it would be a pain..lol

I just came across this video. I'm thinking for my needs, it may be good for my first boat, since it's self righting also. If I see I can really drive this without flipping a lot where I boat, I'm sure and upgrade will be the next on my list. I'm not sure about replacement parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwXywRdEvA&t=103s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cje_aSDwxns
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-17-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eodman View Post
    Where in NY are you?
    Miller Place, Long Island

Well I checked the vid and that is really moving. With pricing and all that I would tend to agree with you. The Sonic Wake for a first.

Well I checked the vid and that is really moving. With pricing and all that I would tend to agree with you. The Sonic Wake for a first.
    I think so also. Now the battery and charger..lol.. It says (2) 50C+ 2S-3S LiPo batteries with EC5™ connector. I was looking at these batteries and need a charger also. I'd like to buy from this site if possible, because of the help. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPVF&P=8

As far as chargers go I run Hyperion but most all of them are pretty decent. I charge at a 2c rate most of the time( so a 5amp batt sees 10amp charge). Do not over discharge, this is the biggest thing new people do. Hobbyking Nanotechd are a good pack for a start. I wouldn’t get too crazy on the ‘best’ packs because you will upgrade things. You will, lol

I will be on a ferry today a couple times so will have time to dig around then if you have any questions

As far as chargers go I run Hyperion but most all of them are pretty decent. I charge at a 2c rate most of the time( so a 5amp batt sees 10amp charge). Do not over discharge, this is the biggest thing new people do. Hobbyking Nanotechd are a good pack for a start. I wouldn’t get too crazy on the ‘best’ packs because you will upgrade things. You will, lol

I will be on a ferry today a couple times so will have time to dig around then if you have any questions
    No problem, thanks. Do you think of the Venom charger? and the reaction batteries? Oh are theses the ones you are talking about? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...k-w-xt-90.html I'd have to change the connector.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...a3yb0y09hY5d3-
    3BYgSEGGPnj251qm4NuaPABoC4TAQAvD_BwE
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPVF&P=8
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-17-2019 at 10:41 AM.

I’ve been looking at the charger myself. I recently started indoor car racing and could use a charger to use there. Looks like a good unit and the reports from the indoor guys are good.
    Those packs should do you too. I have no experience with them tho. I run Giant Power and Revolectrix

I’ve been looking at the charger myself. I recently started indoor car racing and could use a charger to use there. Looks like a good unit and the reports from the indoor guys are good.
    Those packs should do you too. I have no experience with them tho. I run Giant Power and Revolectrix
    I ended using a couple Amazon gift cards and bought the Sonicwake. Cost me $210..Not bad. I bought the batteries and charger at Horizon. It was a bundle https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKRVC&P=7
    Horizon has a discount of $50 off on buying over $199. Cost me $199 shipped to my door..Not too bad. Everything for around $409....

Haha, now we got ya. You’ll be hooked.

Haha, now we got ya. You’ll be hooked.
    I posed this in another thread. What's up with the fireproof bags? The more I read , it makes me nervous about charging the batteries on my boat.

I posed this in another thread. What's up with the fireproof bags? The more I read , it makes me nervous about charging the batteries on my boat.
    Just pay attention, a decent charger will shut off on its own. Apparently some bone heads will use car chargers or old nicd chargers.

From your initial post in this thread I'm surprised you didn't go with a Zelos Twin 36. 36" long 2 motors and 60+mph out of the box. Considering you were originally looking at the Zonda.

Because I wasn't happy with the condition for the price he was asking. I will be running in a slight slight chop sometimes, I like the self right feature, and I had gift cards... I'm sure one day I'll be looking for a twin.