Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Az WW XI February 20th-22nd

Siberia? Might be warmer there. 6 below this morning with windchills at -25. Might get to 11 above tomorrow, but by the time it does I should be nearing Phoenix.
    Playing with boats on "soft" water will be a bonus. I'm more excited to not having to look out the window and see bent icicles.
    bent ice.jpg

its almost time..

1 day!!!

on my way to the airport!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Simonson arrived from Minnesota. No kidding, a 93 degree differential between Minneapolis and Phoenix. He's already sunburned.

Pags already gets the PITA award! Fortunately, he'll make up for it with his credit card and a steak house on Friday night.

Go back to the Italian grotto in Scottsdale. Nice people and stellar food.

It's only going to be -14 tonight here. Ugh.
    Noisy person

Good luck this weekend fellas!!

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Dave, try not to bleed on anyone this year.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Go back to the Italian grotto in Scottsdale. Nice people and stellar food.

It's only going to be -14 tonight here. Ugh.
    ur gonna miss out terry

Pags has arrived

If you were going to pick 3 days this winter to come to Az from just about any other region, this was the weekend to do it. High 70's to low 80's all 3 days, and just enough overcast to knock down the sun/glare. Hardly a breeze all 3 days. We ended up with 24 racers throwing boats in the water, with another 3-4 local guys there for support. Unfortunately, health issues with family kept Dick Roberts and Gary Rose from attending this year. I hope all is well back home, guys. We even had a conflicting Nitro event happen in L.A. over the weekend that held back a racer or two as well. I say this as we used to struggle to get in the high teens for attendance, and there were just a few small variables that kept us from dang near hitting 30 this year.

Sean and Terry Cordova, Joe Scarpino, Dave Santisteven (a name easier to type than pronounce! sorry for the butchering, D), and Robert Holland made it out from Colorado, Lee Simonson from Minnesota, Bob Zola and Tom Castellani from Michigan, and Mike and Ava Paganelli from New York.

Lenny Blake handled the CD duties all 3 days this year, which was very helpful as we typically had to scramble on Friday. Also, his wife LeAnne, with help from Tracy Osborne and Natalie Holland handled the BBQ Saturday and Sunday. As always, Pat handled the sign ups, heat sheets and scoring.

We held Open Water on Friday until 1:00, then punched out 3 rounds of P Offshore, P-Ltd Hydro, P-Sport Hydro and P-Ltd Mono. A few of us local guys, who have been racing all winter, held home-field advantage, so to speak. But, with this group of racers, it didn't last very long...

P-Ltd Hydro: Pags' little Buaas rigger is just a thing of beauty on the water. Unfortunately, he was plagued with a hiccup or two due to that boat being at the bottom of a lake for 6 months a while back.

P-Ltd Mono: Hat's off to Ray Presnall for doing very well with a brand new Cyberstorm build, and also to Ava Paganelli for doing what she does best. Tuning out her Dad and driving the boat as she knows how to do!

For the weekend, we run 3 rounds each day of the same classes. LSH, P Mono, P-Ltd Offshore, OPC, Vintage and Modern 1/10th Scale, P-Ltd Cat and a late addition of Q-Sport Hydro.

LSH: Hats off to Ray, again, for having a fresh build sweep the field with the best running Phil Thomas I've seen. He and I were tied with 5 heat wins going into the final heat, where we were finally scheduled in the same heat. He got the start on me and never looked back. But, it was his 4th round that really showed what Ray can do with that boat. He found himself with a penalty lap, and had to chase down the field if he wanted the heat win. With a dead boat in lane 2-3 on turn 1, he threaded it 4 times to make up time on Osborne, who was in the lead, but taking it safely around the dead boat. Ray nailed the lane each time and drag raced Osborne to the line and nosed him out.

P-Ltd Offshore continues to impress with how much concentration it takes to run clean laps. Though local racer Pete Wijatyk to the class win, Ava showed her stuff by pulling a solid 2nd place.

OPC showed a lot of promise, but most really struggled in getting finishes. We were mostly running 6 boat heats. Fortunately, all of us got our act together for the final heat, having a true OPC shoot out with all boats in contention, and finishing! It left us not wanting it to end...Pete Wijatyk had the consistency for the class win.

The Vintage and Modern classes were down a few contestants, but that didn't keep those that were running from having a sporty time! Ted McKay cleaned up both classes.

P-Ltd Cat, hands down, had the best boats and the best competition. Every heat, too. We had a good mix of Mean Machines and RTR's, with the best running RTR going to Chuck Murray and his Lucas Oil Cat. He has that so dialed that it's really a point-and-shoot boat. However, the best in class goes to Pags, with a perfect 6 heat win for the class win, running some schmuck's loaner boat to boot!

P Mono had some good running boats. Pags found the mud bottom in 1 heat, with a dramatic reverse pop-out-of-the-water report during heat 4. Unfortunately it stayed on it's lid. Congratulations to Kerry Winkle for 6 consistent finishes for a second place overall.

Q Sport Hydro drew 6 entrants. With the size of our pond and knowing that a few of us had new builds we wanted to shake out, we decided to just run 3 and 3 heats until 1 boat dropped out. Well, all the boats were running right up until the 6th heat, even with Pags blowing out his transom in heat 5. The final heat had a spectacular crash involving Zola and...either Cordova or Scarpino. I'll nail that down, but there is a photo of it, about 4 milliseconds after impact. Congratulations to Pags for having a SWEET running Q Sport boat, which is also the National Champ boat as well. What a sight to see that thing fly around the course.

We'll have a more detailed report of the finishing order as we gather the data.

The FE contingent of the Scottsdale Model Boaters continues to grow and get stronger. Pat and I are "Passing the Torch" to Alan Grossman and the other members of the club from here on out. After the Colorado Nationals this summer, I'm stepping down from the hobby.

Pat, Pete Boyle and I started this race tradition back in 2005 with a complete understanding that our event would focus on those things racers enjoy in an event. Good vibes. We succeeded each and every year and greatly appreciate all of you that have supported our event. All told, we've had racers from Washington, Oregon, Colorado, California, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, and even France feel what we have at our events.

The WW tradition will continue..
    Last edited by D. Newland; 02-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.

double

Thx for the hype david..I was shaking like a leaf after that heat race..then nervous as heck having to race you for the win..This seriously was a great weekend..those that have a chance to make it out..don't hesitate..looking forward to Michigan cup in june..and of course nats in august

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    Colorado Nationals this summer, I'm stepping down from the hobby.
    Thought we wouldn't notice this didn't ya? This is not a happy piece of data for me to consume.
    Noisy person

I know. I didn't want to wet-blanket this thread as it really needs to be focused on the weekend we just had. I did make that announcement back in Oct @ our club race, and I did so @ this event as well. It's out there...and I'm a big deal...so....

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Thought we wouldn't notice this didn't ya? This is not a happy piece of data for me to consume.
    +1, not happy about this news at all

Was not expecting that from you Dave.

There are many personal reasons for Dave's decision to step aside. Though it's not one of the major reasons, personally, I had been wondering how long he was going to put up with the crap thrown out by some of the arrogant idiots involved in FE...
    Thanks for all you have done, Dave!

Sounds like it was a great race. Congrats fellas!

Working at the national level has it's price no doubt. Some folks forget that at the end of the day we are grown men playing with toy boats.

Dave I hope at some point you can get back to racing.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
    Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

This was the most awesome 3 days of racing I have ever participated in. Thanks out to all of the out-of-towners that flew in from the cold (or drove as in the guys from Colorado). I can't believe Bob Zola of Mojo Racing shipped 9 boats from Michigan and ended up winning a couple of classes. I have trouble keeping up with 4 classes.

And of course, special thanks to Dave Newland for putting on such a spectacular event for the past 11 years!

hope someone got a few vids of the racing....its been crappy weather even in Mississippi with ice and snow ...I need a boat fix
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

We had quite a bit of footage shot this past weekend. It's with various people, so in time we'll get it on the site. Steve has a special forum for sponsored race photos/vid's. Keep checking in.

I need to elaborate a bit on Pag's P-Ltd Cat sweep. He did borrow some schmuck's boat, but the hull tuning and prop selection/tuning as the heats went on were perfection. However, his sweep did cost him that prop, as it's now a permanent item on said schmucks boat.

Zola's determination makes him a very good competitor. We were swapping paint in P Mono, and both of us had a pretty big grin at the end of it. Though, mine was bigger as I was happier with the end result.

Pete's plan to practice very...very little the past 12 months paid off for him, too. Last year he practiced more, but had a rather dismal WW performance. This year he really had a great event and it was nice to see the smile on his face after the event.

Thanks to Tom for picking up the dinner tab for about 14 of us on Friday night, and then Pags did the same thing on Saturday! What a group of guys.

As for my decision. I don't know if it's complicated and deep, or rather simple. With that said, my kids are Sophomores in High School and the next 2 1/2 years they're in the household I will be putting more time (and money I guess) into their wakeboarding. FE is something we do together to a point, but there isn't enough family draw to make it "our thing" so to speak. Their passion is behind the Mastercraft and I want to focus more in that direction for a while.

Congratulations to everyone this past weekend. Dave, I can understand where you are coming from, and hope to see you back in the hobby sometime in the future.

This was a spectacular event put on by Dave and the Scottsdale Model boaters. There was great racing, great people, and a couple of great nights out. This is only my second year at this event but it seems like ive been coming forever. The first day started with me trying to get my stuff all unpacked and boats on the water, since I havent seen my boats since the Nats in Mi much less put a boat on the water. My daughter Ava hadn't run a boat since the Nats either. The boats hit the water and actually were pretty good to my surprise!!!. The highlight of day for me was Tying Ava for 2nd place in P limited Mono, and in the final heat me and Ray had a great race, he passed me for the win and to take the overall win for the class, Great Job Ray!!!Sat and Sunday was some great fun, The Q boats were crazy fast and so much fun. Ava again took her boat to a Podium finish in P limited offshore and really drove great, also on sunday Ava drove her LSH to 3 2nd place finishes behind Dave Ray and Jim. Dave Loaned me his P-lim Cat for the weekend and it was one of the best boats I have ever driven in a P-lim class. There was some fierce compettition and I was lucky enough to get all 1st place finishes.
    I want to Thank Dave for putting on a great event, we all will miss him while he,s gone from this hobby. I would also like to thank Ray for taking me and My daughter in for the weekend, he was a most gracious host, really taking care of us driving us loading and unloading the truck with all my crap and just being a great guy, Thanks so Much Ray!!! The Friends I've made in this hobby I hope will be life long buddies and I hold these friendships dear.
    Last but not least I was so proud of my daughter Ava, not just with the way she drove but with the way she conducted herself all weekend. Being around Mostly grown men all weekend and really having a great time with all the guys. She got all her homework done and went right to school from the airport mon morning after the redeye flight. Shes the BEST!!!!

This was a spectacular event put on by Dave and the Scottsdale Model boaters. There was great racing, great people, and a couple of great nights out. This is only my second year at this event but it seems like ive been coming forever. The first day started with me trying to get my stuff all unpacked and boats on the water, since I havent seen my boats since the Nats in Mi much less put a boat on the water. My daughter Ava hadn't run a boat since the Nats either. The boats hit the water and actually were pretty good to my surprise!!!. The highlight of day for me was Tying Ava for 2nd place in P limited Mono, and in the final heat me and Ray had a great race, he passed me for the win and to take the overall win for the class, Great Job Ray!!!Sat and Sunday was some great fun, The Q boats were crazy fast and so much fun. Ava again took her boat to a Podium finish in P limited offshore and really drove great, also on sunday Ava drove her LSH to 3 2nd place finishes behind Dave Ray and Jim. Dave Loaned me his P-lim Cat for the weekend and it was one of the best boats I have ever driven in a P-lim class. There was some fierce compettition and I was lucky enough to get all 1st place finishes.
    I want to Thank Dave for putting on a great event, we all will miss him while he,s gone from this hobby. I would also like to thank Ray for taking me and My daughter in for the weekend, he was a most gracious host, really taking care of us driving us loading and unloading the truck with all my crap and just being a great guy, Thanks so Much Ray!!! The Friends I've made in this hobby I hope will be life long buddies and I hold these friendships dear.
    Last but not least I was so proud of my daughter Ava, not just with the way she drove but with the way she conducted herself all weekend. Being around Mostly grown men all weekend and really having a great time with all the guys. She got all her homework done and went right to school from the airport mon morning after the redeye flight. Shes the BEST!!!!

anytime mikey...and ava...hpe you didn't forget to freshen up before school..lol..and keeping y0ur dad from blowing down the walls with his snoring sunday eve...lol..this seriously was the best event I have ever attended..and I have been in the rc hobby ofr over 25 years..and if I have any say in it..next year will be even better..

as for you david...you know my feelings on your leaving..but understand..you are the reason why im doing this

Sounds like another great WW race.

Dave, enjoy your retirement. You can always come back out of it.
    I try and avoid paste eaters.

Still trying to decide what I liked best about the weekend.
    I think this was my 5th trip down there and each time has been a blast. The results of the races are secondary to me. Getting together at the pond for some racing in the sunshine with a great group is all I really need.
    I think the real "Heater" for this and every WW race is Dave Newland. He's got great support from his local club, but all the time, energy, and effort Dave has put into these races over the years has been extraordinary. You're gonna be missed while you're out.

Lee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast