Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Pearl P Sport Hydro 2017

Good news. The lighter V8 version is running and turning well with the 1515-1Y motor. The CG is at the front edge of the turn fin (this is key!!). It also took 6oz of weight (placed at the CG) to keep it down in race water. Speeds are 62-65mph.

Recall that I gave up on the big motor because it was just too fast. In order to keep it down as speeds approached 70mph, it would have required much more weight at the CG. The hull was at it's speed limitations IMO. Rather than just add more weight at the CG to keep it down, I'm trying to kill some more lift to increase the speed potential. On this experimental boat, I am reducing the AOA of the kick-up at the bottom. Some previous experiments with an air dam showed the boat to be much more predictable as it gave warning prior to a blow over (floated, rather than just snapped over).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pete
    I got mine running at 70 with NO added weight.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Ya know, I was having the same trouble with blow overs and after six months I found the strut had negative in it. It would cause the front to lift a little. Then the toque would pull the left a little more and over it went.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Pete
    I got mine running at 70 with NO added weight.

Larry
    Cool!!!! Are you coming to the MI cup? I need to see this thing! How heavy is your boat? My heavier boats were fine, but the lighter ones are requiring some added weight at the CG. I'm really starting to believe that it's better to have the weight at the CG, especially for the turns.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Ya know, I was having the same trouble with blow overs and after six months I found the strut had negative in it. It would cause the front to lift a little. Then the toque would pull the left a little more and over it went.
    Oh man! That must have been a head shaker when you realized it! Definitely no negative here. My strut is dead nuts flat. Strangely enough, we did find that the rudder on the right side made it ride up the turn fin and blow off during slight left corrections. Moved it to the left side and eliminated that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Cool!!!! Are you coming to the MI cup? I need to see this thing! How heavy is your boat? My heavier boats were fine, but the lighter ones are requiring some added weight at the CG. I'm really starting to believe that it's better to have the weight at the CG, especially for the turns.

Oh man! That must have been a head shaker when you realized it! Definitely no negative here. My strut is dead nuts flat. Strangely enough, we did find that the rudder on the right side made it ride up the turn fin and blow off during slight left corrections. Moved it to the left side and eliminated that problem.
    Ya it happen in a fall off the rack in the Tahoe. When I found it I thought how stupid. LOL
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Pete

Yes I will be at the CUP.
    My boat is one of the first one I think.
    I did build it a little heaver with all the foam in the sponsons and down the sides.
    I run 2 degrees Positive (down at the rear) for the prop that I am running.

Do you know if anyone makes a wedge to put behind the strut mount?
    I want to cock my strut about 2 degrees to the left.
    Right now at full speed the boat wants to turn slight right.
    I have set my trim slight left to compensate, but I would like to get it fully set up with the rudder straight.

Larry

Good news. The lighter V8 version is running and turning well with the 1515-1Y motor. The CG is at the front edge of the turn fin (this is key!!). It also took 6oz of weight (placed at the CG) to keep it down in race water. Speeds are 62-65mph.

Recall that I gave up on the big motor because it was just too fast. In order to keep it down as speeds approached 70mph, it would have required much more weight at the CG. The hull was at it's speed limitations IMO. Rather than just add more weight at the CG to keep it down, I'm trying to kill some more lift to increase the speed potential. On this experimental boat, I am reducing the AOA of the kick-up at the bottom. Some previous experiments with an air dam showed the boat to be much more predictable as it gave warning prior to a blow over (floated, rather than just snapped over).
    When I build wood hydros I now add the same weight of aluminum to the Port size as I do on the starboard side for turn fin and mount.

I use 3/16" or 1/4" thick stock and glue it to inside bottom of sponson. The weight is well distributed and you are adding structure to the boat not just dead weight.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Truck pull, this is an old trick used in full sized boats for years to correct for turn fin drag and prop torque. I have seen more wedging on the rudder over the strut. I use a left side rudder to compensate prop torque and turn fin drag. It seems most modelers are seeing good results with changing the leading edge angle on the turn fin to correct steering problems. Moving the rudder under the boat can help too. Very small adjustments are advised, it's very easy to over correct. 1 degree movements should be used. Turn fin can also plant or let the right side sponson ride higher. Many options! The fun is finding out which works best on your hull and set up!

Hi everyone. I'm pretty excited about this build (Version 8.7!). I moved the motor and servo forward significantly. The more I play with these things, the more I realize that most of the weight at the CG is best, especially for turning. You don't want weight scattered all over the boat. This new design should accomplish that.

I'm hoping to finish this to run in our September club race.

Oh, and congrats to MI CUP champ Kenny! Black Pearl wins P-Sport 3 years in a row!!!

Peter
    I sent you an E-Mail about COG.

Larry

Where can you buy this kit?

pete is on vacation now--send him a private message(shooter)--he will get in touch with you when he gets home.

Congrats to Mike! IMPBA P-Sport 2-lap World Record!!

I'm going to cut more kits next week. If anyone wants one, send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Pete

pete ---pond cleanup sat. at 12--going to mr. b's after---if your there we can talk about another boat!!!!!

John, let's talk him into a lighter smaller boat.
    Noisy person

maybe a new class for all members that anyone can afford to race! just think 30 boats in one club class,what a hoot!

Some folks were emailing about battery placement. With the latest kit (motor forward design), I removed the top support brace and run the batts lengthwise on each side of the motor/esc. This new packaging really helps in the turns as most of the weight is at or near the CG. We also noticed that the back end doesn't drag as much.

PS - I started a smaller version, but it's a ways out yet.

Hey Pete, did I send you this pic? Best way to skin that I've used yet.20171029_130919.jpg
    Noisy person

Thanks Terry. Always nice to see a better way.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Man, I really like that! You're not introducing any stress or twist anywhere, and it's balanced.

Oh, and that makes (3) of us with the same oven. Me, you, and Detox!

Is that the new 'motor fwd' design? You're gonna love the way it turns. Ask Tom. It was whipping around the apex and the rear wasn't dragging nearly as much.

This one isn't. It's the one before that. Ty's boat. It will get the new canopy.

Haven't even take the wrap off the motor forward design yet. So many projects.

That clamp method works perfect. I saved the cradles for future Pearls. I hate skinning the deck. Always fighting the compound curves. This was crazy easy. So easy to make the cradles. Trace the bulkhead onto a chunk of wood. It's off by the thickness of the skin but close enough. I'll use this method on all future boats.

I used to heat plastic in that oven and had a portable platen I would put on the counter to vac race boats. Wife loved that crap for sure. Woman has the patience of a saint. When she final has me killed, everyone will just be like............yep. Surprised she waited so long.
    Noisy person

Is that the new 'motor fwd' design? You're gonna love the way it turns. Ask Tom. It was whipping around the apex and the rear wasn't dragging nearly as much.
    I think we might need to screw with fins on these. Maybe a different shape. Mike was saying he noticed a big difference just by moving the fin around. Makes me think maybe there is a better shape we're missing.

Also had an interesting conversation with Digert about fin shape. Made my head hurt a little but also made sense.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Hey Pete, did I send you this pic? Best way to skin that I've used yet.20171029_130919.jpg
    terry, do you put thin foam under the wood with the clamps? seems like it would conform nicely to any mis-alignments.

How do you get your better half to allow you to build in the kitchen ? I'm in the basement, up and down the stairs like nobody's business !

I'm a monster Jay. I have projects in the garage, basement, kitchen. Nothing in the front yard right now. Too cold. I can usually tell when she's on the verge of killing me. I clear out then.

I fill the spaces between the bulkheads with foam. Sometimes I cut to fit and then hot wire flush. This boat is full of ping pong balls with 2 part poly to keep them in place.
    Noisy person

May I ask what your race weight is? I just bought your 5.7 #018 from Mojo Hope to be at the pone this summer

Hi Ron. Long time! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the 'dark side'. Hehehe.....

The V5.7 was the first kit. Tried and true. It's a tank (heavy), but is a proven winner. In fact, that version won the MI cup this year as well as the IMPBA oval record.

Regarding weight, the only data I have is from the newer lighter boats. They run 5lb-6oz to 5lb-10oz with (2) 4000mah 4S batts (16oz each).

I'm going the other way like the old sled. I'm shooting for 7 or 8 pounds.
    Noisy person

Thanks , I like tanks...Must be the Army in me LOL

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast