Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat for 3s 2200mah

Default Boat for 3s 2200mah

With there being a very slim pickings of boats available, I?m looking for a smaller boat to run off the plethora of 3s 2200mah packs I have. These are common for planes so as a result I have 10 of them.

Anyone have any good options to run off this sized battery? I was leaning towards the Tenshock Mini Mono, but if anyone has any other input or options please let me know

If you want an RTR, that is by far the best one out there. If you want to fit one out yourself, there are alternatives, but unusually it is still one of the best Monos of that size out there. as standard they come with a 2s motor though so you will have to ask them to swap it to a lower KV 3s suitable one

Naviga Mini Mono and Mini Hydro classes use that size battery, so if you are not tied to an RTR there are a bunch of very good European and Asian hulls available.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 07-06-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks Paul. I’m not confined to a RTR, and have no problem building something. I’m just leaning towards a Hydro or mono. After that, I’m very open minded at the moment

I have one of these: https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/...mm-17-gfk?c=59 and it would be a good fit for that size battery. The hull is a high-quality layup and quite light. Native Paul just about has me convinced to buy another to fit a motor I have lying around.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

That's what I run in my Zipkits Mini Sprint. It's a little rocket.
    Bob

https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=797

The 26" Zip with a 28-29mm motor on 3S is fast (45-55mph)and seaworthy. 2 2200ma 3S in parallel gives 4400ma for a decent run time. Inexpensive build/
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Here are free plans for the KEPS and JAE Mini Hydros.

Zippkits have also sold kits for the JAE mini for $99 including hardware which is a great deal, but they are not on the website at then moment, not sure if they have stopped making it, or are just out of stock.

RBC also sell a kit for the Fast4ward hydro.

That is all for the kits or plans that I know of, I am not aware of any good mono kits or plans in this size.

There are a bunch of composite hulls available, I will list them as hulls only but some of them are available as ARTRs in limited numbers on request. Generally they have the advantage over a wooden boat of self-righting, via a flood chamber. Which allows you to run a small boat in any conditions. Often these come fitted especially with monos, but sometimes you have to make and fit them yourself, as is common with the riggers.

Ecomaster sell a bunch, as well as the aforementioned Tenshock Mini Mono, the Mini Slider is also great, and while the Eraser2 is brand new and is as yet unproven in public hands, the first eraser was very good and I fully expect the 2 to be top level. As well as those Monos he also sells this Mini Hydro, and he has another in testing that has not been released yet.

ETTI make a few Mini Monos, Phoenix for rough water and the Mini Envoy for smooth water. They also make the Mini Outcast and Mini Angel riggers.

Hydro & Marine make the Mini Mi rigger (this is the only composite boat listed that I don't know can be made self-righting).

MHZ make the Harpoon mono, and Miss Madison hydro (needs additional salt water snorkel for self righting).

I am a big fan of these mini sized boats that natively fit the batteries you have, they are cheap to fit out, and their small size makes them look and act faster at lower outright speeds carrying less energy, so they can be hooned about in any water, at or over their limits, without regards to their safety, but as Mic said there are also many larger boats that can use 3s 2200mAh in 2p or 3p, see this post for links to a few if that interests you.

Wow this is quite the list! I’m very interested in building an MHZ hull based on quality. What kind of hardware and electronics (motor, esc) would I need for the Miss Madison? I see the Harpoon comes as an ARTR with hardware already, so i would just need electronics for that guy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Not trying to 'hijack' the thread, but I do find a lot of the boats/hulls mentioned "interesting". Although over only been involved in FE for a few months, I'm finally at a point where I'm starting to feel 'comfortable' about the idea of building a boat from a hull...preferably a "hull & hardware" package, but separate hull & 'complete hardware kit' are also a possibility if the hull & 'complete hardware kit' are from the same vendor.

Unfortunately, almost everything listed above (ie. the provided links) is from European websites. Can those who've already shared links, as well as anyone else, share some from U.S.-based links? While I don't mind ordering from "across the pond", if much prefer ordering stateside, especially considering it's less confusing not having to deal with currency conversion...plus, many European hobby websites won't even ship to the U.S.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

No need to worry about quality for any of the composite hulls I have listed, there is none of the thick brittle gellcoat or vinylester resin, or air bubbles associated with rhe popular RTRs. They are all at worst vacuum bagged epoxy glass hulls.

Don't take this as a diss against MHZ, but amongst this company their quality is middle of the road, the Stinger and ETTI are better, H&M and Tenshock are comparable, and while Ecomaster Eraser and Mini Hydro are as well moulded individually. They are not joined wet on wet meaning that they do have small seams and I would rank them lower.

A motor weighing about 70g (2836 ish inrunner or 2816 ish outrunner) with 3000kv, 30a watercooled or 50a uncooked ESC, and 30- 32mm low blade area cnc prop will give you 5-6 minutes runtime in one of these on 3s 2200mAh, or with 50A watercooled ESC and 34-36 mm prop you can do sprint style for limited run times.

I don't think mini classes are raced anywhere in America so there is little call for them there. NAVIGA members are mostly in Europe and Asia so that is where most are made. Tenshock and ETTI are both in Hong Kong.

The only one I know of in America is Oxidean Marine who sell the tenshock Mini Mono as their Mini Dominator. Though I would read up about their customer service before buying from him rather than importing, he's charging more than Tenshock or Ecomaster do, so needs to offer good customer service at least.

I know Ecomaster, MHZ, H&M, and ETTI ship to the U.S.

I know at one point Tenshock had an exclusivity deal with their U.S. dealer minicatracing and wouldn't import privately but as sailr posted here that he was retiring and trying to sell the company a while back, I have no idea if that is still in effect. He may also still have some stock of the older Tenshock mini products he sold.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 07-08-2020 at 10:30 AM.

I have purchased several hulls from H&M and MHZ. My experience is the MHZ hulls seem a bit lighter in layup than the the H&M hulls, but you can specifically request a lighter layup from Oliver if you don't mind waiting a few extra days. The MHZ hulls also have sharper edges on the surfaces and require less finishing work to get everything sharp and flat.

Paul has more experience than I with the ETTI boats and I would take his motor/hull suggestions as an excellent starting point.

A friend recently purchased a TFL Cheetah, and while it LOOKS really good, the ride surfaces will need a LOT of work to make it competitive.

I'm currently working on an H&M hull and there may be another MHZ hull in my future.......

First, not interested in racing something this small...it would be a "just for fun" boat. For racing, I'll be running a Skater X2 for P-open, and a CF Pursuit for P-Limited. If I decide to get into Hydros, I've already got some ideas, but still undecided. As for Oxidean Marine, no worries there...I'd never buy from him. Let's just say they're a lot of 'bad blood' written about Bill Oxidean, Mr. "I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread".

To give those reading an idea of my current pleasure boats, I'm running a ProBoat SonicWake that's been upgraded with a Seaking 180A ESC & Leopard motor (for true 6S, without any 'danger'), a ProBoat ShockWave (my "rescue boat", which is about to undergo a dual-rudder mod), and an Atomik Barbwire 3 (which I just rebuilt, from an empty hull, with a Seaking 60A ESC & Dynamite 2950kV, new brass stuffing tube, larger diameter prop shaft/flex cable, and Octura coupler).

I greatly enjoy building off-road vehicles (heck, I think I might actually enjoy building them more than I enjoy racing them), which is why I want to try my hand with boat building. However, unlike off-road kits, which include everything inside a single box, I don't see the same types of 'offerings' where boats are concerned.

I did recently build my first off-road vehicle...a Class 3 comp crawler...completely from scratch, siding with just a cage/chassis. But, I'm not ready to completely build a boat from scratch, nor do I feel I'm I ready to purchase just a hull, and completely build...besides, I don't think I'd know all the parts needed. However, I feel I am ready for a kit where all parts are packages together (including the aforementioned "hull" & "complete hardware kit" type of purchasing configuration).

That's why I found this thread of interest...and, what led me to asking about any US distributors. I know minicatracing is all but gone, thus other sourcing choices would be needed. Yes, I'd prefer ordering from a US distributors...but, I have no problem ordering from elsewhere. I only brought up European distributors because I know that some will not sure to the US. Some don't ship to the US, period, while others currently don't ship to the US due to COVID-19. The same currently forward for some Asian distributors. While others are still shipping to the US, shipments are taking longer...but. I'm ok with that.

My primary "concerns" are 1) a complete kit (either everything packages together, or the 'hull' & 'complete hardware kit' packages separately but purchased together); 2) purchased from a US distributor, or from a European/Asian distributors that ships to the US; and 3) most importantly, is 'quality' (hull that isn't likely to "fall apart", aluminum, brass, & steel parts that aren't "garbage" (for example, no crappy-quality "stainless" steel screws that rust).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    First, not interested in racing something this small...it would be a "just for fun" boat.
    My sentiments exactly.

I only brought up European distributors because I know that some will not sure to the US. Some don't ship to the US, period, while others currently don't ship to the US due to COVID-19.
    No problem, they are shipping.

In what part of California do you live? It it were close enough I might suggest ordering 2 Miss Madison hulls from MHZ and amortizing the somewhat expensive shipping between multiple hulls.

We could do parallel builds (although I'll probably go with a 2S setup). Steve has most, if not all, of the needed hardware here in his store. I'm still waiting to hear from Native Paul regarding photos/drawings/descriptions of making the Miss Madison self-righting.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    No need to worry about quality for any of the composite hulls I have listed, there is none of the thick brittle gellcoat or vinylester resin, or air bubbles associated with rhe popular RTRs. They are all at worst vacuum bagged epoxy glass hulls.

Don't take this as a diss against MHZ, but amongst this company their quality is middle of the road, the Stinger and ETTI are better, H&M and Tenshock are comparable, and while Ecomaster Eraser and Mini Hydro are as well moulded individually. They are not joined wet on wet meaning that they do have small seams and I would rank them lower.

A motor weighing about 70g (2836 ish inrunner or 2816 ish outrunner) with 3000kv, 30a watercooled or 50a uncooked ESC, and 30- 32mm low blade area cnc prop will give you 5-6 minutes runtime in one of these on 3s 2200mAh, or with 50A watercooled ESC and 34-36 mm prop you can do sprint style for limited run times.

I don't think mini classes are raced anywhere in America so there is little call for them there. NAVIGA members are mostly in Europe and Asia so that is where most are made. Tenshock and ETTI are both in Hong Kong.

The only one I know of in America is Oxidean Marine who sell the tenshock Mini Mono as their Mini Dominator. Though I would read up about their customer service before buying from him rather than importing, he's charging more than Tenshock or Ecomaster do, so needs to offer good customer service at least.

I know Ecomaster, MHZ, H&M, and ETTI ship to the U.S.

I know at one point Tenshock had an exclusivity deal with their U.S. dealer minicatracing and wouldn't import privately but as sailr posted here that he was retiring and trying to sell the company a while back, I have no idea if that is still in effect. He may also still have some stock of the older Tenshock mini products he sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    In what part of California do you live? It it were close enough I might suggest ordering 2 Miss Madison hulls from MHZ and amortizing the somewhat expensive shipping between multiple hulls. Steve has most, if not all, of the needed hardware here in his store.
    SF Bay Area...South Bay. As for the MHZ Miss Madison, interesting proposal.

I have to admit, I do like the Mini Mono that Tom (Op) initially mentioned. I also like the ZippKits mentioned by bhorowitz & HTVboats...especially considering they offer "complete hardware kits"...but, they don't appear to offer anything 'small'. Getting back to the suggestion made by you (as well as Native Paul & TomM), I do like the MHZ Miss Madison...but, I also like the Micro Iceberg (a 17" cat), which can be set up with single, or dual, motors, and is also less likely to flip.

SF Bay Area...South Bay. As for the MHZ Miss Madison, interesting proposal.

I have to admit, I do like the Mini Mono that Tom (Op) initially mentioned. I also like the ZippKits mentioned by bhorowitz & HTVboats...especially considering they offer "complete hardware kits"...but, they don't appear to offer anything 'small'. Getting back to the suggestion made by you (as well as Native Paul & TomM), I do like the MHZ Miss Madison...but, I also like the Micro Iceberg (a 17" cat), which can be set up with single, or dual, motors, and is also less likely to flip.

Might as well buy them all at that point, and build them as your heart desires. Fiberglass doesn’t go bad :D

I’m personally going to build one of those Boats listed above during the winter. For the time being I’m gonna get a delta force vortex hydro hull from Steve. I’ve heard people using 28-45-2960 Leopard motors, any reason why a 28-35-2700 Ammo realistically won’t work? Purely going for sport, so if it hits 40-45 i’ll be thrilled on 3s

Panther it sounds like the Tenshock Mini Mono kit would be right up your street, it comes with everything in the ARTR for $25 less as they are not putting in the build time. Just add radio and battery. As with the ARTR this will come with a 2s motor as standard, so if you would rather use 3s you have to ask them to exchange it. While not strictly needed, I would also add a CNC prop to the order.

They also do a hull/hardware set if you have your own electrics, but it is only $42 less than the kit, and the Tenshock 1515 Viper motor is worth a lot more than that and you get an ESC and servo thrown in with the kit too.

Ecomaster also sells everything needed, and with some discussion could put together a complete package for any of the boats he sells.

While some of them are made in China don't mistake any of these for a TFL RTR, none of the hulls are likely to fall apart in normal use. With the riggers you always have the chance of snapping a boom if you hit something, but you wont break one on the water by yourself, and I have seen dozens of mini monos crash into each other or have buoy strikes with nothing other than cosmetic scrapes and dinged props.

I cant speak of MHZ hardware, though I have one of their hulls I don't have any of their hardware, but the others mentioned are great. As long as you remove the wire drives and oil the ballraces in the shaft at the end of each day you will maintain driveline efficiency for a long time.

I have one of these: https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/...mm-17-gfk?c=59 and it would be a good fit for that size battery. The hull is a high-quality layup and quite light. Native Paul just about has me convinced to buy another to fit a motor I have lying around.
    Wow. I didn't know they still sold that. I always wanted one.
    Nortavlag Bulc

If you want any of the Zipkits stuff, contact Mike Walker. He's a great builder and does their stuff to almost any level of completion. If you want one of the Mini Sprints, he might even have one. If not, I bet Joe at Zipkits would probably cut one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Wow. I didn't know they still sold that. I always wanted one.
    The Miss Madison is a really stable hull as the minis go and I REALLY like mine. I think I only flipped mine once due to hitting a wake at fill-tilt boogie. I'm probably going to build another in the near future with Native Paul's self-righting suggestion. Years ago I had an MHZ Micro Iceberg with an Aveox 1005/2Y (now living in my 16" wood cat). It was stupid fast in the straights, but anything over a slow crawl in the turns and it would roll like a log. I eventually sold it because it wasn't fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First, and foremost, I hope Tom M is getting plenty of good & useful information out of everything. After all, this is his thread. That being said, I know I'm gaining knowledge in this area, and an going to start more-thoroughly researching the options. In the meantime, time to head to the pond, and test out my rebuilt Atomik Barbwire 3 (the entire drive-line, and all electronics (other than the Rx), have been replaced).

Oh trust me, there’s more info here than I could ever use, but that’s the point

I’ve decided on a hull, it’s 16.5” vortex hydro, since it’s my first build in a while and I wanna shake off the cobwebs on a cheaper hull and support Steve. I’m looking to run a .130 flex cable with it, are there any struts that’ll accept a 3/16 prop shaft for this boat? I see a few are 3/16 shaft to 1/8 for prop. Do you think a .098 will be enough for this boat so i can run standard micro hardware?

I have one of the first run of Vortex hulls and I've been using .098 without a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of the first run of Vortex hulls and I've been using .098 without a problem.
    Great, thanks! What hardware are you using? I'm torn between the octura offset mini strut system and the individual micro components linked below

System: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...oct-oc4str-cda
    Strut: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80046
    Rudder: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80047 or the non-extended version

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the micro/mini side of things

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Here are free plans for the KEPS and JAE Mini Hydros. RBC also sell a kit for the hydro.
    Part of what "confuses" me is that you call "hydro" what we call an "outrigger". Stateside, when I think of a "hydro", I think of something akin to the MHZ Miss Madison, or the ProBoat UL-19.

This hydro is definitely nice...but, what I REALLY like is the 'chrome' dual-motor cat you're working on. Something along that line is what I'm probably looking to do. As much as I like the look of a hydro, I don't think I'm ready for one...at least not yet. I really believe a micro cat would be best. As I hinted at in an earlier post, I have no boat-building knowledge (other than rebuilding the Barbwire 3, which wasn't really much in the "building" department...the closest I got to actual "boat building" was building up, and installing, a new stuffing tube), which is why as-completee-a-kit as possible is probably best. It doesn't absolutely "need" to include electronics (those I can source from Steve), but everything else (or close to everything else) should be included. Another 'plus' is if hols are pre-drilled, or at least marked.

On a completely-unrelated matter, I noticed several of your photos have your micro hydros & micro cats inside a "briefcase". I've been looking for something (somewhat) similar to put my Barbwire 3 in...and, once a build 'whatever' (micro cat (preferred) or micro hydro), I'd like to place it in something. As a professional chauffeur, I can't exactly be bringing a typical boat carrier onboard, so I'll need something "discreet". Any (preferably inexpensive) suggestions/recommendations?

The Miss Madison is a really stable hull as the minis go and I REALLY like mine. I think I only flipped mine once due to hitting a wake at fill-tilt boogie. I'm probably going to build another in the near future with Native Paul's self-righting suggestion. Years ago I had an MHZ Micro Iceberg with an Aveox 1005/2Y (now living in my 16" wood cat). It was stupid fast in the straights, but anything over a slow crawl in the turns and it would roll like a log. I eventually sold it because it wasn't fun.
    You say the Micro Iceberg is "unstable". What about the H&M Drifter Micro or Maritmo Micro? Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Also, can either of these (or another quality micro cat) be configured with dual motor? I don't mind a single (lighter), but I prefer the longer runtime, as well as the centered rudder, of a dual. Obviously, with a hydro, such as the Miss Madison, a single is the only option. I will admit, Miss Madison IS growing on me...but, at the same time, I'd still prefer (if possible) a (dual, preferably) micro cat.

deleted by user (accidental double-post).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Great, thanks! What hardware are you using? I'm torn between the octura offset mini strut system and the individual micro components linked below

System: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...oct-oc4str-cda
    Strut: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80046
    Rudder: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80047 or the non-extended version

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the micro/mini side of things
    No problem about the questions. That's the point of these forums. I'm using the separate strut and rudder Steve sells here, not the Octura system.

This hydro is definitely nice...but, what I REALLY like is the 'chrome' dual-motor cat you're working on.
    Stay tuned, it's going to change to 24K GOLD!!

Something along that line is what I'm probably looking to do. As much as I like the look of a hydro, I don't think I'm ready for one...at least not yet.
    They're really not that difficult, just different.

......On a completely-unrelated matter, I noticed several of your photos have your micro hydros & micro cats inside a "briefcase". I've been looking for something (somewhat) similar to put my Barbwire 3 in.......... Any (preferably inexpensive) suggestions/recommendations?
    One of my favorite benefits of the micros. Check eBay, and Amazon for cases or occasionally SRA cases has a deal. ( https://sra-cases.com/ ). There are other suppliers on the 'Net, just keep searching.

You say the Micro Iceberg is "unstable". What about the H&M Drifter Micro or Maritmo Micro? Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
    The chrome (soon to be gold) cat is an H&M Micro Drifter. It's an order of magnitude larger than the Micro Iceberg and I suspect it will handle better. Stay tuned for a pilot report on it.

Also, can either of these (or another quality micro cat) be configured with dual motor?........
    Absolutely. My current H&M Micro Drifter build is a twin, and I built the much smaller BBY Micro Scat Cat as a twin. One thing I learned from the BBY MSC is to use a dedicated batter per motor. I originally tried to run both motors off one battery due to space considerations, but I had start-up issues. Once I switched to two smaller batteries, the start-up issues disappeared.

Because I run 2S systems, I am usually on the lower end of an ESC's voltage range. The large current spike at start-up causes a voltage drop, and if one ESC "sees" this drop a nano-second before the other, one of them starts freaking out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast