Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box stock mono for p limited?

Default Box stock mono for p limited?

Are all the proboat and aquacraft monos <34” really discontinued?

I’m working on a list of rtr boats our local hobby shop can stock so new recruits can get into racing as simply as possible. These will be 34” max, and 4S.. many that are 36” and 6s... but they can’t race in p class.

Monos: AQ revolt (appears to be back)

Cats: veles, miss geico, motley crew

Hydros: proboat UL-19, aquacraft UL1 (discontinued?)

Any ideas?

Next I’d like to make a list of rtr that would work but would need motor swap and possibly esc.

Feel free to chime and thanks!
    Last edited by Jesse J; 05-26-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

All the monos 34” from proboat and aquacraft have been discontinued.
    The 34” have been replaced by 36” hull.

Ahhh - length limits! They’re working.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Promarine RC
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

OSE Raider is 34" Looks pretty sweet.

I agree, there are sweet hulls out there! I just ran my raider and it made me giggle like a child... but.. I’m talking first boat fodder. I’m working on some after market options, but want to be able to tell LHS to sell these boats because new boaters can take them to race the next day and have a chance!

Thanks for posting, keep the ideas coming!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

The proboat sonic would be good. But it selfrighting. P mono & cat are getting faster and pushing the limits of 34”
    This would be really good option..
    Dymotorshop 33 mono, comes with hardware installed, can be setup for p Ltd or P mono, smooth running boat even race waters. All they have to get electronics and install them, tune.

The thread topic is RTR boats, not boats an experienced racers can build from scratch. AQ and ProBoat no longer offer serious P-Limited-legal monos. Why? Length limits, so we’re pretty much restricted to Chinese-designed offerings.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The thread topic is RTR boats, not boats an experienced racers can build from scratch. AQ and ProBoat no longer offer serious P-Limited-legal monos. Why? Length limits, so we’re pretty much restricted to Chinese-designed offerings.

Right, my bad

So what’s a club to do?

Allow 36” hulls? Then we are heading towards q class... another 50% more cash and twice the hurdle for a newbie.

There are a lot of options in the 24” range... but that is kinda underwhelming - albeit potentially tons of fun, but not raced across a district and would require a retooling for existing club members.

Darin, what hot new p limited mono is proboat about to release?
    Is aquacraft about to go under?
    Pro marine is an option, but the models are a bit higher priced.

My club is even considering building up boats to sell to new members, in a drive to own program.
    I like Eric’s suggestion of DYmotorshop hull and hardware option, but how is the build quality? Proboat was getting better as was aquacraft. I have seen a lot of inconsistencies and marginal quality parts on the Chinese builds, often requiring a start over...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    So what’s a club to do?

Allow 36” hulls? Then we are heading towards q class... another 50% more cash and twice the hurdle for a newbie.

There are a lot of options in the 24” range... but that is kinda underwhelming - albeit potentially tons of fun, but not raced across a district and would require a retooling for existing club members.

Darin, what hot new p limited mono is proboat about to release?
    Is aquacraft about to go under?
    Pro marine is an option, but the models are a bit higher priced.

My club is even considering building up boats to sell to new members, in a drive to own program.
    I like Eric’s suggestion of DYmotorshop hull and hardware option, but how is the build quality? Proboat was getting better as was aquacraft. I have seen a lot of inconsistencies and marginal quality parts on the Chinese builds, often requiring a start over...
    Too pursuit can be a way better option.. and more affordable and is under 34” and have been race tested for a long time now

The DY quality is good. Run great even in race water.

Ray, suggestion is another good one. You can get pursuit from banggood for $300ish

So Eric, is banggood really bang good?

Hull&hardware may be the future..

‘Nother idea is let em bring 36” rtr but offer to swap out motor for 4S.. yay, nay??
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...60995c30YWl0J4

Have an entry level RtR "one design" class with these to help noobies get interested without breaking the bank. First have a class one night teaching basic race prep to get these ready as likely would be the case.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony, im having trouble seeing what you are talking about.. link takes me to general alibaba site.
    Very interested in your input.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Try this I thinkit'll show the 30" mono

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...60995c30YWl0J4

EDIT :

On closer inspection the boat I'm referring to is 25.5" - the box it comes in is 30" (my bad)

I still think that an introductory one-design class with maybe a race-prep day of instruction could spark some participation. I'll keep looking for the right boat.....
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-28-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Be careful what you ask for. Flame suit on here but IMO Hobby shop RTR is not what will build a club. Easy in means easy out with little commitment. In 40 years of racing and organizing I feel the best racers and club members are willing to get their hands dirty and assemble if not scratch build a boat. When you need people to set up a race site put bouys in. launch and use a retrieve boat and build a drivers stand you want some dedication not just a Visa card.
    These are also the people who will mentor new members an help them build equipment that will be competitive. I see many guys at the local ponds who have legitimate class ready boats who just don't want to race, for whatever reasons. They already have the equipment, just not the urge to race. A racer will jump through hoops if he wants to race.
    Changing rules to fit retailers is backwards and you will never satisfy retail needs. Make good national rules that apply everywhere so people buying equipment know they can race anywhere with what they set up. We all have opinions on what works for a class. Give new people help with quality choices rather than an RTR that they will replace hardware, esc and motor in a short time. Guide them into boats that are proven in your area. On this site (OSE) there are many easy build choices. A 26-33" mono, Raider ESC and Leopard 3660. (both come with 6mm connectors), motor mount, strut and rudder. Add choice of radio and batteries and you can be in under $400 with something that will last.
    As I said up front too easy in will not be the person who lasts.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Mic, thanks for your perspective.
    I suspect the majority of us on here have started with rtr then started modifying then a ground up build.
    We may not have a choice but to go at it the way you are saying.
    I’ll have some boats for new people to try, then they will probably end up building their own if the stick with it.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Mic, thanks for your perspective.
    I suspect the majority of us on here have started with rtr then started modifying then a ground up build.
    We may not have a choice but to go at it the way you are saying.
    I’ll have some boats for new people to try, then they will probably end up building their own if the stick with it.
    jumping in here, i think (partly from how i got involved i carpet racing back in the day) let someone try a decently built boat for a race, or even just playing around.. i started with a crappy MRC buggy, then saw there was a local carpet track... went, they had a buggy class, but i knew my stock MRC with a 3 speed wiper "esc" wasnt gonna cut it (all plastic bushings wouldnt have helped either...LOL) so the next week after talking with the guys at then track, i picked up an HPI RS4 pro...LOL and proceeded to piss everyone off with being the NOOB that was consistently second place, half a second behind the track owners son...LOL

in summary i think it may be best to let someone try it, but not have them need to fully commit to it... how i got started in boats too.... a $50 Groupner monster vee... then a Volantex vector, and now the Dumas hull that i am building for the weedwacker power...and then the Dumas/ChrisCraft that the wife got me for christmas....LOL in the span of 6 months, i went from no boats to 4...

I started with plans of the Blue Blaster in early 90's. Lots of Balsa and cheap motors. I built 3 of those 22" hydroplanes.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mic,

Your points are well taken and I agree that your proposal is a "best of all worlds" solution [BUT] (there's always that pesky BUT ) I think, based on my experience in attracting newcomers is that I'd have WAY more success if I could hook up a noobie by getting him something like Jessie is proposing and YES I realize that a $299 hobby grade RtR will need a fair amount of massaging to keep it in good shape - which btw I think ends up being a valuable learning experience for the initiate.

Check this out -

https://www.rcplanet.com/rage-rc-vel...-rtr-rgrb1208/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKsvbZI_Gi4

EDIT : YES I realize that this boat might not fare well against a well put together P Ltd Mono designed and built by an experienced builder/racer BUT I'm still a proponent of the One-Design Class, especially for entry level so as not to discourage noobies.
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-30-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Tony, so glad to have your chime!
    Thanks for your perspective! I hope to meet you in person soon, Nats?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Interesting, that rage appears to be the next larger sized hull identical to my volanex vector, a 24" hull...

**edit** heres a vid, only changes from stock were a flycolor 150a esc, and a 40mm 1.9 prop that didnt seem to make much difference over the stock 40mm 1.4, probably slipped too much...
    https://youtu.be/50_0xeoCexA

These abs rtr boats are something our club has looked at as an entry level, relatively inexpensive start. We have talked about having races that are for boats like this, a sort of limited class so newbies can get a chance at racing and winning and having a bit of fun. Get their feet wet and then hooked, and then they can think about building something faster. It's a hard road though! It seems like someone has to get one and be prepared to let it be played with. Also need two or three to buy them and turn up to club days.

Of course when they see a gas rigger going around at 70mph plus, they are all, ooooh, where do I get one of those...!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

As an fyi, the vector i got only set me back $80, bought without a radio or batteries, as i already had all that from my cars...

I think that'd it makes most sense to start a beginner class at the club level for P-Cats since there are a few box stock options available.
    Keep the class as stock as possible to keep cost effective while keeping everyone competitive. A "Driver's Class" which can be a lot of fun for veterans as well.

These boats could later be upgraded to be competitive with other modified P-Limited Cats or maybe even full P-Cats.

When it comes to those beginners wanting to expand their classes this is when they could be mentored into a P-Mono boat that would most likely need to be bought as a hull with hardware or maybe even a build from bare hull.

This is exactly how I started. Started with a Motley Crew that I did some mods on in order to be competitive in P-Limited Cat and then took all I learned while racing, hanging out, and checking out P-Monos in our club.... I built up my first Pursuit (Mono) from a bare hull. Then came a better P-Cat and then a P-Sport Hydro.

The club I raced with (MMEU) also had a Spec SV27 class at the time I started. That was a great "Drivers Class" to learn a lot while on a budget. They were stock boats with everyone using the same batteries and props.

But in general it'd just be easier to get new people started with Cat verses Mono. More options when it come to RTR.
    Have fun with that....

The Aquacraft Revolt 30 is a very nice RTR P Mono and is back in stock at Tower Hobbies.
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXBXEP**&P=ML

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    you want some dedication not just a Visa card.
    Made me smile with that one Mic. Thank you.

I think some are confused about what limited was/is supposed to be. It was a class for everyone. It was never intended to be entry level. It was never intended to be an RTR class. It was supposed to be a place for racers of all different experiences to get together, act a fool, and race some toy boats. The "limits" kept the wallet racers from going completely crazy tech wise. Those same limits allowed some of the RTR that might have been purchased at the time by a newer racer to play too. It wasn't so fast that a new guy can't drive it but it's fast enough to not bore the vets to tears.

The trouble with a box stock type class is the sheer numbers. We simply don't have them. Not even at most club levels. They're great for newer racers sure but newer racers don't make a club go. I'm not suggesting ya don't want new guys. You for sure need those new guys. However, if you don't inspire your vets to participate too then nobody is racing. Those boxer classes are a tic slower if you are trying to keep the boats even. It maybe could be done better than MMEU did it. Maybe more prop for more speed or whatever. Eventually participation fizzled for our guys.

Enter "the little bit of something for everybody" power level. Limited or spec was/is a compromise between box stock and wide open classes.

If someone is truly interested in racing we make sure they find a boat. Sometimes from an existing stash. Sell one from someone's fleet. Some of us have been known to put boats together for guys that only expressed interest. It's what you do if you're a nut like myself. NOT a practical solution.
    Noisy person

Agree on the box stock class concept and want to clarify my intent here.
    Looking for boats our LHS can stock for new members. We are trying to grow our club and some of the total strangers are less likely to buy one of the half a dozen boats I’ve bought and set up for potential new members can drive to buy. My original goal was to give our LHS a list of good rtr boats they could stock and people who trust a new boat over one I set up could buy and race with us.

I’m glad to see the revolt back, that is a good boat.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast