Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: More limited motor discussion

Accept that nobody is doing that. Nobody is even trying to do that.

Examples:

My kid is as fast as almost anybody in LSH. There is a video somewhere of him being chased by Robert Holland in Phoenix. Robert went out to Vegas and earned himself a national championship. So the boat is quick. We run 150 amp Raider in that boat. Not because we need the amps. Because they're cheaper than a UL and sold by my favorite FE source OSE. The motor is coming in at 110 degrees. No where near the 167 de-mag point.

Ty's 10th scale is pretty darned respectable too. That boat runs just a 120 amp speedo.

My buddy Tom is faster than most everybody in limited mono. Fast enough that I'm building a new boat. haha He runs mostly Seaking 180's. Not because he needs it but because he can yank it and throw it in a P sport and it will survive. Same thing. He's temping in the 120's I believe.

What the real amperage is we don't really care. We watch temps. If we're in a safe range we don't get bogged down by this many or that many amps. Are we hanging with the pack? Then we're there.

BTW Marc runs a bunch of lead up front on his UL. Have no idea how much though.
    Noisy person

Craig

Yes some run higher Amp ESC's then they need,
    This is because they are looking for efficiency, or it is what they had in their box, or even weight.

I myself always like to run ESC's that are 150% to 200% over what my setup runs on an average, in all my boats.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Craig...bone stock boats can be competitive and win..

Examples..
    1) 2015 was the last Cup I attended..won both the Limited Offshore and Limited Cat with an AQ Revolt and an AQ Motley crew.

The Revolt had the stock 60 amp ESC and 1800Kv motor....but I did use a $8.00 Graupner carbon/plastic prop!
    The Motley Crew had the stock 1800 Kv motor and I put in a $30 Hobby King 90 Amp ESC. The prop was an X457 Sharpened and balanced.

Also, both boats were powered by simple Turnigy 30C batteries.

Each of those two classes had at least 25 boats in it.

Did I win because they were the fastest boats, No. (although the MC is very quick) Did I win because of my stellar driving skills...No (I'm far from the best driver, but even farther from the worst). Luck, reliable setups and avoiding trouble were big parts of it. Like Terry said, fastest boats are quite often obstacles for those still running as the race progresses.

Now at this years Nats I'll be running the same boats in the same classes again..there are a few drivers signed up that I fully expect to get slaughtered by in those classes. Will it deter me from racing again?..no way! Until you try it you won't realize the actual fun it really is...all the BS on the forums means nothing.

Well guys, that’s great news! I agree that an over rate on the ESC is prudent and helps to prevent failures that marginal ones may suffer. And the price on that UL-1 ESC is just crazy high!

I’ve been very surprised on the stability of this UL-1 I got. I’m in Oklahoma, and the wind is always blowing and it puts a chop on the water. I’ve never have been concerned about that, closer to what you would race in. But this thing just flat hauls the mail! I’ve looked at the 150a Raider ESC, I think the motor will take about 80A... I’ve got no heat on the ESC or motor running the S220.

Well hell’s bells, just might have to get down to Dallas and test the water! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    The prop was an X457 Sharpened and balanced.

is that a typo ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    is that a typo ?
    Opps...452...not 7

A 452 on a 36mm motor.... That’s got to be at least a 200% over amp.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    A 452 on a 36mm motor.... That’s got to be at least a 200% over amp.
    The struts pretty high and the 1800 kv/ 90 amp ESC handle it easily.

I run a 448/3 blade on a 29" mono with a 1500kv 6 pole motor on 4S in spec mono and Offshore.
    Amp draw is 80 to 95A

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I don't know man. I think yer over think'n this Dave. I've been through every rule change since Nicd batteries. We messed up the first round of this back in 2008 IMO. I'm the one that proposed it so I think I get to say that.

If this takes longer I'm okay with it. I was only asking those questions earlier to get my brain around the apprehension. My understanding thus far from multiple sources is that the controversy has been so vast and of such duration that some are hesitant to even get in the water. It's like stabbing yourself in the leg on purpose. "Those guys are all nuts. Screw that!" Us throwing a poop fit cuz it can't happen soon enough wont help. It only makes people less receptive if anything. What we need to do is prove that this time........it works. Prove that the debate has ended.

I really believe we're headed in the right direction now. If we are ..........that proof will be in that participation and rule silence. We have to convince people it's the correct direction. Not demand that it is. We may end up with a band-aide for now. So what really. We were already taking a chance with our club rules. Others agreed to come play with us even with them being incomplete so it can't be all bad.
    Terry from my standpoint, I’m the one NOT over think’n this. This isn’t rocket science and we’re not trying to cure cancer. Hell, the federal government can write a tax plan, vote it in and enact it under 1 year. With strong opposition and controversy BTW… Why do we need 3 years to have a dang motor rule for toy boats?

We’re talking about another year of testing and band-aides before the BOD will even consider a proposal. (Which I’m told they won’t) Then there would be another year of trials… and then we’d finally have a rule in the books if voted in by the members.

And what’s with the “Don’t we want to take the time to get it right?” I keep hearing? Are we fixing global climate change? Are we writing gun reform laws?
    Wait… wrong crowd…

Yes, we want to get it right. You’ve all spent the last 10 years seeing what went wrong before and have come up with a doable option that if done originally wouldn’t have resulted in those problems. And we’ll have a year of trials. Isn’t that the purpose of the trials? And guess what? If a problem like the 1415 motors come up down the road. Fix and rule. Period! It shouldn’t take another 3 to 5 years of debate to fix any problems at may come up.

The controversy has been so vast and of such duration because the organizations are sitting back and doing nothing. This would have been over 2 years ago with some proper leadership. But no… even with a doable option such as diameter x length x weight, the BOD are all Nope…Nope…Nope. Let the districts and clubs figure it out. They are the ones over think’n all this and now need their hands held to be convinced. Bunch of snowflakes that can’t handle controversy.
    Have fun with that....

I jumped on tonight and by mistake started on the first page. The same stuff has been said over and over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Attached Images Attached Images

At this point I think Id like to see this thread die in peace.

We are all adults and can/do respect each other. So Im asking unless there is something very new to add to this thread, please let it go for now.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Lets all just help Mike collect the information needed to get this right.
    Then we can run that for a year, and then summit it to the BOD.

I believe they were ready to go with the Diameter and Length idea, then this NEU1415 thing came up.
    Now we want Diameter, Length, and Weight.
    Seeing that no one has run this new rule for one year, we must do it.

We can still do what we have been doing for the past few years, even without a rule in the books for IMPBA (it has worked great until now)

So lets all just Chill a bit and help Mike any way we can.

THE END

Larry

Outsiders summary
    1. FE spec rule proposal sent to IMPBA
    2. 10 pages of suggested changes to rules already submitted. Namba officials weighing on IMPBA
    rules.
    3. Approximately 12 people involved in discussions representing many others.
    4. IMPBA board of directors see you do not have rules right. People can’t even agree if they want classes eligible for records.
    5. Board decides you should get rules right and run them for this season. Decides not to except rules submitted as changes are already being discussed.
    6. People get mad, stomp their feet and start holding their breath. Disparaging remarks are made about the board.
    7. Thread further derails to esc questions and set up information. Strut depth is discussed. What’s next, chocolate chip cookie recipes?
    Insulting the IMPBA board of directors will not further your case for rules, just saying because it obviously needs to be said.
    I try and avoid paste eaters.

Well,

We had our club meeting on Saturday and there were a few people that brought motors. I didn’t get the variety that I had hoped, but I don’t think it would change the trend/s we are seeing. We have 44 line items some have several samples from the same manufacturer and others we only had one sample. I am confident that we captured several samples of the currently being used. I have attached a PDF that lists the motors and their measurements. Most importantly I wanted something charted making the relationship more visual.

Couple of quick notes;

The NEU motors listed under 14XX (Blue Diamond) – include all of the motors we would “expect” to fit in the 36X62 size limit i.e. (1409, 1410, 1412)

There is a “normal” 1415 listed in line item #40, but I narrowed the X/Y chart limits to exclude it.

The “modified” 1415’s have their own symbol (Green Square). I felt that giving these motors their own cluster was needed.

There is a slight difference in the Dynamite cluster, because of the measurement method. I am going to assume those that provided the length measurement to me didn’t include the bearing shoulder on the output side. I included that when I was personally measuring.

Go Nuts!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    There is a slight difference in the Dynamite cluster, because of the measurement method. I am going to assume those that provided the length measurement to me didn’t include the bearing shoulder on the output side. I included that when I was personally measuring.

Go Nuts!
    Mike, I would keep the measurement STANDARD. Extra words/language for "bearing shoulders", etc., are just going to add "gray area"...

P_LTD_PROPOSAL_PAGE_003.jpg
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Well,

We had our club meeting on Saturday and there were a few people that brought motors. I didn’t get the variety that I had hoped, but I don’t think it would change the trend/s we are seeing. We have 44 line items some have several samples from the same manufacturer and others we only had one sample. I am confident that we captured several samples of the currently being used. I have attached a PDF that lists the motors and their measurements. Most importantly I wanted something charted making the relationship more visual.

Go Nuts!
    Hey Mike , great work....thanks for your diligence.
    Darin certainly knows the intricacy of these measurements thx for your work too.
    I did notice the Super EDF 3659 motor from Turnigy appears to be missing, or it could be
    called something else. We have had some race successes with that one so it probably
    needs to go through the process too. I can send you one that I smoked last year at the Cup if you want.
    I did just measure it with a caliper. It is either 60mm or 60.6 depending if you measure the can, or
    actually on the raised mounting edges (easier to understand what I am referring to if it was in front of you)
    It is 35.8mm diameter. I do not have a small scale here but I may take it to the Post Office today.
    My bathroom scale says it is 0.0.....rather odd because it always reads heavier that I believe when I get on it.....hmmm

Hope this helps and lets keep the positive stuff going
    I think these efforts will pay off.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

I think this is the motor that Ken is talking about;

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post
    I did notice the Super EDF 3659 motor from Turnigy appears to be missing, or it could be
    called something else. We have had some race successes with that one so it probably
    needs to go through the process too.
    I still have one collecting dust.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post

Larry
    It's such an interesting design. The stator coils are like a 2 pole, weird.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post

Larry
    Yes Larry, That is the same motor I am talking about.
    Just purchased a new scale from the office store.
    That motor weighs 255 grams.

Mike,
    I can simply give you one of those motors in Atlanta
    for your growing collection....:)
    Last edited by Ken Haines; 02-27-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Nice work Yer FE Lordship. Thank you sir!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

So why not go back and just change the dimension to 36.3 x 58 or 59

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post
    Yes Larry, That is the same motor I am talking about.
    Just purchased a new scale from the office store.
    It weighs 255 grams.

Mike,
    I can simply give you one of those motors in Atlanta
    for your growing collection....:)
    Thanks Ken,

I will add to the list. There is no need to give me the motor. I am simply interested in the actual length, diameter, and weight.

Later,
    Ball

Hey guys. Just caught wind of this, good for you trying to make a National set of rules for P Spec., it seems to be one of the most popular motor classes.

As an outsider and CD for an IMPBA race and two record trials a year can I ask you to please, please, please keep it simple enough so a guy like me that routinely lets the magic smoke out of anything electric can easily tech it in the field. When it's dark, pouring rain and 40* out!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what's going on behind the scenes on this but I can tell you from experience that National rules tend to evolve from local rules that work.

The change to the "three boat length" passing rule I submitted a few years back is a perfect example. Guys were using the "shall not impede" at the local level for several years and it worked well. When it hit the Board there was little discussion as they knew it was already working in the field...

Why are the moderators removing posts which break no rules? Can you say censorship?
    I'd appreciate an explanation from whom ever has deleted multiple posts of mine.
    Next time... I'll just run my motors and say nothing. I put my money and neck out on the line here for the better good of this hobby and the potential classes. What do I get in return... censored????????? And yet HE persisted.

Your' welcome guys.

Purely proved my point... THE GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB!
    Have fun with that....

Perhaps because you don't stay told David..

The IMPBA BOD is drawing on 69 years of experience. This will work out fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    At this point I think Id like to see this thread die in peace.

We are all adults and can/do respect each other. So I'm asking unless there is something very new to add to this thread, please let it go for now.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast