Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack destruction!

Default Blackjack destruction!

So for the second time my sons bj took off on it's own, the first time he was able to turn it before it hit shore and it flipped up on the bank.

The second time we were out on the big boats and he was driving it for a few minutes when it took off and crashed into the side of a 47' triple engine Fountain! Luckly the guy was cool and understood what had happen, (he has a couple of kids also), but I will be going over and buffing out the minor damage soon.

It was one of the worst sounds you could have imagined, it wasn't a direct hit but the bj is wiped out, which was the least of my worry's. It sounded like someone took a sledge hammer to the side of a boat!

So why is this happening to the same boat, the batteries in the controller were fresh and the batteries in the boat were good. We didn't reprogram the esc or any other maintenance to the tx/rx. The batteries are 4200 ni-mh and he was just cruising when it took off behind the boats, less than 30 feet away. Are the stock controllers know for this?

I'll take some pics of the damage as i try to figure out what to do with it, i have repaired worse and was considering modding hull anyway but I need to figure out whats going on before something or someone gets hurt.

Thanks Rob.

Are you running 6 or 7 cell Nimh's?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

6 cell duratrax dtx 4200 nimhs

AM radios are known to "glitch" and have various issues. One thing you can probably try is a receiver pack instead of the BEC. But for a little more security and piece of mind. You may want to go with FM or the 2.4 ghz systems available. OSE and Tower Hobbies offer a 2.4 ghz system for $80.00

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-TACJ0245
    Government Moto:

Thanks for the info, are there any waterproof receivers out there? We try to keep the inside as dry as possible but some water still gets in.

The receiver could be contaminated with something. I was having problems not to long ago and took it apart and sprayed it real good with contact cleaner and then blew out all the excess before it was dry. This last part is important so that the contamination is carried away and doesn't just dry back on the CB.

I have two bj's when i first got them I cleaned and sealed the rx's in wax. they have worked great untill now. One of them is new and one is used, the one that was used had some corrosion on the cb and it is the one that has never gave us any problems.

Should i get new tx/rx and be done or is this an ongoing problem?

These things are more work than my real cat, and it has a pair of blower motors in it!!!

I would recommend getting the tactic or Tower Hobbies 2.4 ghz systems and be done with it.
    Government Moto:

Cool thanks Domwilson.

Oh forgot to mention. No more antenna. So you can plug that antenna hole while you're doing the repairs.
    Government Moto:

Saw the other thread. If you want another cat hull, Alot of people swear by these...
    http://www.aeromarinerc.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=53
    Government Moto:

I was going to make a couple of new hatches anyway.

I looked at those before getting the bj's.

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Oh forgot to mention. No more antenna. So you can plug that antenna hole while you're doing the repairs.
    Hey Dom, are you saying that with your 2.4 GHz system you don't run the short rx antenna outside the hull? No little transome mounted tube?

Andre

On the tactic and tower hobbies rx there is no antenna wire.
    Government Moto:

Sweet, I never did like the tubes anyway.

Am radios and use corrosion X or another waterproofing method on the Rx prior to useage. My 2 cents

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    On the tactic and tower hobbies rx there is no antenna wire.
    Ah, I see. What about the spektrum rxs that all have the short antenna? Any luck running those inside the hull or still need to be outside (as mine are currently...)?

Andre

Can't say. I don't own any spektrums. However, alot of guys here do. I think you can run them inside the hull as long as there is no carbon fiber. But don't quote me on that.
    Government Moto:

You can send back to horizon hobby and get a new boat, same thing happened to my friends bj, some of their am remotes have crazy range and some of them are bad from the factory. But i think you will want a free new boat instead of paying for a new hull and a 2.4ghz radio when this was not your fault

I run my spektrum wire inside the hull- no probs

I would love to get a new boat but i didn't buy it from Horizon Hobby and doubt they would take anything from anyone else.

Horizon hobby is the company that owns almost all the rc companies, the own proboat. In your manual there will be a number and an address to the horizon hobby service center. Send it there. Trust me

Thanks, i'll do that as soon as i get back home, i'm in georgia right now.

Just talked to them, the tech guy said to send it to us and they will evaluate the equipment. Is this common, i would hate to ship the hull and be told sorry about your luck and have to pay to ship the thing back.
    Last edited by bobkatz; 08-25-2009 at 04:02 PM.

I bought my BJ26 off of ebay. I called Horizon about my flex being seized. They had my info. already because I bought it off a authorized reseller. No problem. They sent me out the new parts without a hitch. It would definitely be worth a try.
    Government Moto:

Just to give an update on the destroyed bj, horizon covered it and i now have a shiny brand new bj!!!

Great,,,now relpace the radio with a Tactic 2.4.

yes immediately

Absolutely!

Will a 2.4ghz radio fix the problem of the boat going crazy while upside down in the water awaiting rescue? My BJ26 self-destructed the u-joint before I could get it back to shore with the stock system.
    Last edited by blackcat26; 10-29-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast