Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help!!! lots of smoke

Default need help!!! lots of smoke

so i got my 4s1p lipo today. i already wired the the esc for one pack and im running a receiver pack. i did evrything the way the tips n info section on here said. when i plugged evrything up to arm the esc smoke just poured out of it. i was told 4s was fine for the stock esc. can any one help me please

Quote Originally Posted by 2ltrvtec View Post
    so i got my 4s1p lipo today. i already wired the the esc for one pack and im running a receiver pack. i did evrything the way the tips n info section on here said. when i plugged evrything up to arm the esc smoke just poured out of it. i was told 4s was fine for the stock esc. can any one help me please
    4S is fine. Do you have some pics of how you have it wired?
    Many issues!!!

Obvious wiring boo-boo

Happen to remove the red wire from the 3 wires coming from the esc and going to the receiver?

And there is no need to run a receiver pack with 4s.
    You would have been fine with leaving it alone, wiring it up for 1 4s pack and running it.

Post pictures of everything inside your hull.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

I'm betting reversed polarity or some type of short from"wiring" it up. All you really need to do to set up the stock ESC is to put a single Dean's ultra plug in place of the series harness that it comes with.

Pictures will help confirm this.
    Don't get me started

its wired exactly how the tips n info page on here says to run one pack with a receiver pack. and yes i did clip the red wire from the esc to the receiver. the smoke came from the back of the esc around the wires that go to the motor but those were all hooked up right also. the boat was running on one nimh 6 cell pack ( slow as hell) wired the same way. i didnt change anything but use a 4s1p 25c 5000 mah lipo. im totally confused right now

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    I'm betting reversed polarity or some type of short from"wiring" it up. All you really need to do to set up the stock ESC is to put a single Dean's ultra plug in place of the series harness that it comes with.

Pictures will help confirm this.
    thats how i wired it. i cant do pics i have an old school floppy disk digi cam with a laptop that wont take floppys lol

Floppy disc digital camera?

Never heard of such a thing.

Well good luck, cant provide much help at all with the information you have provided.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

What about the battery side? Did you solder the connector on with the right polarity?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    What about the battery side? Did you solder the connector on with the right polarity?
    yes sir. and yea its a digi that holds a 3.5" floppy disk its a sony mavica

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_pi...20lvc_1.gif~18

thats the way its wired to the tee.

So the Deans is wired like this,with the red on the positive on both connectors?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Government Moto:

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    So the Deans is wired like this,with the red on the positive on both connectors?
    yes on both the esc and the pack

i hooked everything up to go through the arming procedure. it armed i gave the throttle a tap to see if it was running and it revved then once it stopped, sooo much smoke. i unplugged the pack pulled the esc out right away and checked everything and im lost

Is the motor good? Can you check?
    Government Moto:

im not sure how to check it. the last time i ran it ( two weeks ago) was on 6 nimh cells and it was fine. unfortunately i over discharged that pack and it wont charge any more so i cant use it to check anything

ok so with the esc out of the boat not hooked up to the motor or receiver if i go to plug in the pack it smokes. ???????????im getting frustrated here

Your getting frustrated so keep on doing it?

..Wow
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

im getting frustrated because im troubleshooting and getting no were.... do you just give up if something doesnt work?

I would venture to guess that it's a bad esc. If you had it wired things wrong the the last battery connection would have been a like a fire works display (but much shorter).
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

is it possible that turnigy accidently wired the pack backwards from factory? well no because it charged fine....

No way you got solder between the 2 tabs on the deans so they are touching positive to negative is there?
    Many issues!!!

Look things from our point, we dont have much to work on besides the litle info you have given us. Some pictures would be a lot better that way we could look for things that you may have overlooked.

Cant be that hard to get a digital camera from a friend or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I would venture to guess that it's a bad esc. If you had it wired things wrong the the last battery connection would have been a like a fire works display (but much shorter).
    when i first ran the boat everything was getting really hot because of some resin in the brass fitting on top the rudder for the pickup(sweet assembly skills from factory). thats fixed now needless to say but is it possible that could have damaged the esc some how and the lipo just was to much for it?

Quote Originally Posted by H&MWill View Post
    No way you got solder between the 2 tabs on the deans so they are touching positive to negative is there?
    nope i checked that right after the i checked the wiring twice

nope i checked that right after the i checked the wiring twice
    Id have to say its the ESC at this point without photos.
    Many issues!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    Look things from our point, we dont have much to work on besides the litle info you have given us. Some pictures would be a lot better that way we could look for things that you may have overlooked.

Cant be that hard to get a digital camera from a friend or something like that.
    i can try to use a cell phone (mines broke) but im not sure if the quality would be all that great

i can try to use a cell phone (mines broke) but im not sure if the quality would be all that great
    Anything is better than nothin
    Many issues!!!

i got pics how do i post them on here?

When you submit a reply. Down at the bottom is "Manage Attachments" Then you browse to where the picture is and press upload. Then close the window.
    Government Moto:

where in FL u live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast