Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help!!! lots of smoke

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post
    where in FL u live?
    rockledge....not a very large town haha. its near cocoa beach

heres the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does that esc have any sort of cooling for it?
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

I live in Daytona. kinda close. any way, the last time you ran it you had zero issues with it correct? Was the esc wired the way it is now? and is the only thing that is different the lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by z400 View Post
    Does that esc have any sort of cooling for it?

Did it have cooling on it when you ran it last?

yea it has the stock jacket. i just took it off. last time i ran it yes it was wired this way just with 6 nimh 3300 mah cells and yes the water jacket was on and the water was flowing.

did the esc get hot on the last run? if not i would look at the deans real good on the lipo. the wiring all looks good to me.

the deans have no connectons between polaritys. im thinkin maybe the esc was weak from over heating before i fixed the pick up

Hmm..... Definately sounds like something shorted out. I have ran mine on a single lipo many times without issue. I just made a jumper for one of the leads from the ESC and all was fine. I wonder if running on one 6c nimh might have caused too much heat to build up and started the beginning stage of burning up the ESC? I have seen some ESC's that have burned up if ran under voltage.
    On another note, I have seen the floppy digital camera. They were one of the first to come out about 10 or 12 years ago. Worked very well at the time.

yea i think the 6 cells damaged it and the lipo killed it. any suggestions on a new esc? i plan on getting the delta force vortex and swapping my sv parts into it. i might upgrade the motor and run 6s. which esc?? and yea that camera is old but works great.

im trying to decide on the x-power programmable esc or a ul-1 or castle 120

I'll have to defer to someone with more boat experience for the recommended ESC. Most of my ESC experience is with 6s lipo on helis. From what I am reading in the forums, boats pull a lot more amps than heli setups.

Get the UL-1 ESC. It will plug right into your SV motor. You could also use it wired as is with a 4S pack by simply using a plug wired to complete the circuit into the open plug where the second pack would normally go. That way you do not need to re-wire it, just make up a plug.

This is the SV-27 ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=MJC&V=AQU

This is the UL-1 ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVSV4&P=SM
    Don't get me started

Deleted - duplicate post
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    Get the UL-1 ESC. It will plug right into your SV motor. You could also use it wired as is with a 4S pack by simply using a plug wired to complete the circuit into the open plug where the second pack would normally go. That way you do not need to re-wire it, just make up a plug.

This is the SV-27 ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=MJC&V=AQU

This is the UL-1 ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVSV4&P=SM
    cool. thanks man. that esc looks like it already has a cooling jacket? im gunna make the plug to complete the circuit also so i dont have to cut the new esc's wires. time to order a esc.

It has a cooling jacket built into it.

Using the plug set up allows you to use two 2S packs in series if you want. Sometimes easier to get bteter weight distribution that way.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    It has a cooling jacket built into it.

Using the plug set up allows you to use two 2S packs in series if you want. Sometimes easier to get bteter weight distribution that way.

Yeah i really dont know why this guy would want to run 1 4s pack in a Supervee.
    Boat is designed to be run on 2 packs at a time.

You are either putting the boat off balance by only running 1 pack on 1 side of the boat or you are totally screwing up the COG when your placing that 1 battery in front of the motor.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

Yeah i really dont know why this guy would want to run 1 4s pack in a Supervee.
    Boat is designed to be run on 2 packs at a time.

You are either putting the boat off balance by only running 1 pack on 1 side of the boat or you are totally screwing up the COG when your placing that 1 battery in front of the motor.
    im runnning one pack because less charge time, its cheaper to buy one pack, and i ran the boat on 12 cells and realized that with the batts way forward it planed quicker and was more stable at wot. the single pack in front of the motor sideways like port to starboard performs the same. im getting the delta force vortex anyway so ill rearrange everything in that hull. but why do i have to do what everyone else is doing? why do you have to give me a hard time because i would like to try something different? how about u just let me run it and ill report what happens and maybe youll be changing your setup.... it seems like evry forum theres a online bully. im on a lot of honda forums because i biuld engines and do motor swaps and theres always one or two dudes that are the same. this is a good forum though as far as info goes. and the only person been giving me a hard time is the z400 dude. if you dont like my setup stay out my thread

"Z400 dude"

nice!

Im not giving you a hard time, but thereis no need to act like i just discovered FE boating yesterday.
    You come here for help and when we help you, you trash talk.
    Us that own Supervee's know what they were designed for and know how to set them up.
    If you dont want our advice on what your doing right and what your doing wrong for the best performance then dont bother making threads.
    I'll stay out of all your threads from now on, that is no big deal at all.

Good Luck "2ltrvtec Dude!"
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

"Z400 dude"

nice!

Im not giving you a hard time, but thereis no need to act like i just discovered FE boating yesterday.
    You come here for help and when we help you, you trash talk.
    Us that own Supervee's know what they were designed for and know how to set them up.
    If you dont want our advice on what your doing right and what your doing wrong for the best performance then dont bother making threads.
    I'll stay out of all your threads from now on, that is no big deal at all.

Good Luck "2ltrvtec Dude!"
    everyone was being helpful, you were quite condesending. yes im new to this hobby, yes im looking for advice. but i want to run one pack so im going to set my boat up for it. i dont wanna hear (read) someone basically saying im dumb for not running two packs. i would like suggestions about running the one pack. thats what i bought thats what im doing. i have alot of experience mechanically and when it comes to real boats so im not totally green i just havent been involved in the FE world. i was not trash talking anyone except you because of your real helpful info. i came on this forum to learn not argue with some dude ( yea i say dude because i live beachside in florida). if you have ran one pack the same way i am planning and it failed then tell me about. obviously 2 packs is easier but i had plans to change my hull so theres another reason for the one pack. im looking for help, info, and fun from this boat not forum drama

I'll simply add that there are an enormous number of SV27 boats out here in FE land. And the overwhelming majority of them run dual packs. Why? Because you can get a more optimal weight distribution and better CG placement. By your own admission you are running the boat wet, that is with the nose down.

Most of us have found that a CG around 25% to 30% (6.75 to 8.1 inches forward of the transom) is the best performing point for the boat. Too far back and it flips easily. Too far forward and it runs wet, which is slow and draws more amps.

I just stuck a 4S 5,000 pack I have as best I could right in front of the motor on mine and it balanced at 9.5 inches, or about 35%, that is a very wet running set up. This will make the boat more stable, but it will make it slower, make it run hotter, and give you lower run times due to higher amp draws. Evidence of hot runs is the fact that your ESC fried.

So take this for what it is worth to you.
    Don't get me started

thank you for the info. im more than likely going to the vortex hydro anyways. i have another question about motor placement but i think it needs to go in the boat building forum. thanks for the input everyone ill let you guys know how it runs once i get the new esc.

i rearranged the sv this evening ill post pics in the morning for some opinions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12