Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seaking Boat ESC recalled by factory

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Anything you bought recently probably has the bug. In my opinion, Fleabay dealers should NOT be selling them right now because of the recall.

sailr is this a problem with the low voltage shutoff?
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Hobby City hasn't had any in stock for over 2 months. I just got a refund for a turnigy120 marine that I ordered 6/2/09 that never came in.
    Last edited by egneg; 08-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I don't know precisely which of the Hobbywing esc's had the bug. I do know the 180's do. The recall was about 10 days ago. Any of them bought right up to now has the bug. The 'fixed' ones haven't been released yet. Your 120A may be just fine. Wish I could be more helpful.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Well, bad news. I just talked to the factory. They said the problem is both software and hardware. All of the boat esc's except the 25A and 35A are effected by the recall. They are modifying existing stock but they said it would be several MONTHS before they are corrected! Maybe something was lost in the translation. I can't imagine MONTHS to do the fix! I just talked to the owner's female assistant. She didn't know the exact nature of the problem.

I have e-mailed the owner of Hobbywing, a friend of mine, to ask him just what the issue is and how long it will be. I'm going to cancel my present order and re-order later when they are ready. Sorry!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

UPDATE! Just talked to the owner. He said maybe ONE month. That's a bit better.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sailr,
    I am sure there is a lot of these out there, a lot from different retailers, are all of the retailers being made aware of the problem?

I purchased a Seaking 90A verion a couple of months back and have only just installed it, my thoughts are this should be returned before it does fry and stuff up anything else.

Cheers...Tim

I do know a couple of Chinese resellers are aware but not sure of everybody. I could have been stuck with a bunch of them myself except for the timing of my order!

You would have to return it where you bought it. I doubt Hobbywing is taking everything back that was already sold. Don't know. There are a lot of them out there in use and I haven't heard of many problems.

I do know the owner is a stickler for quality. Could be he was concerned enough he wants to improve them.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I contacted one of the dealer in HK where i bought the 180 esc, and here is their response :

"Hi, only the 90A and 120A have "short" problem. this Seaking ESC 180A not have problem. Sorry, We haven't recall on this one now." Best regards, BENSON

- e-hobby09

That is incorrect. I spoke with the owner of Hobbywing himself last night. It is the 90A, 120A, but the 180A is the primary one with the problem! You need to call his bluff. Tell him to call Hobbywing or he might be 'eating' a bunch of 180A's!

This is a quote from Mr. Zhang's email:

"We found some issues with the 180A boat ESC, we will replace them with new version products, but it will take some time (maybe 1 month) to solve the problem, very very sorry for the inconvenience"
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You can pass this info along to "Benson"

Jack Zhang
    Hobbywing Technology Co.,Ltd
    TEL:+86-755-25504333 EXT 83
    MOBILE: 13502819026
    FAX:+86-755-25509626
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

sailr,
    I forwarded Jack Zhang's info over to Benson, and he says the factory didn't even notify him about the problem with the 180 amp.... However, i can return the esc if i wanted.

This has kinda got me worried now with my 3 180's.
    I hope you are wrong salir..LOL..
    Brod..
    Slow gets boring fast.

I doubt that each and every vendor got a personal note from Hobbywing. IF the product was bought FROM Hobbywing and not another vendor, they got a notice. Benson is probably a secondary seller. They're all over China. They will all tell you they buy direct from the factory. Sometimes they will tell you they ARE the factory. Some of them will invite you to come over and visit the factory. They will call the factory and alert them that they are bringing a customer and the factory will go along with the ruse. I've seen it a million times. I have been over there. I know how they work. Remember, a $5 profit is a big deal for one of these traders. I suspect Hobby City for sure is a direct customer of Hobbywing because of the price they offer. I would tell you what I can get them for but then I'd have to kill ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    sailr,
    I forwarded Jack Zhang's info over to Benson, and he says the factory didn't even notify him about the problem with the 180 amp.... However, i can return the esc if i wanted.
    Last edited by sailr; 08-07-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

We're in the same boat. I have a brand new one in the box too. Bought it about a month ago off ebay. I can't buy direct from the factory unless I buy 50 pieces. All other dealers are required to buy 200 pieces to get the best price. I'm not trying to boast, but the owner and I are friends. The Chinese value friendship more than the business deal.

Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly. I know the owner is a very particular guy and if there is any possibility of a problem, he will eat the loss and fix it. Hopefully most of them are alright. I do suspect the newer ones will be better in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brod View Post
    This has kinda got me worried now with my 3 180's.
    I hope you are wrong salir..LOL..
    Brod..
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

OK, earlier you said the 180 was a primary one with the "short "problem. Now you're saying
    Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly.
    i am

I just hope my 180 held up too, so i don't have to send it back.

I got different information from Jack's assistant than I did from Jack in two different emails. Please don't make me the bad guy here. I'm trying to help. Jack's the boss and I believe he knows more about what is going on.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

OK, so "Benson" has his Seaking esc's on ebay listed as version 2.0. It says nowhere what 2.0 means. I wonder if he's hoping people will assume that it's the upgraded version

the seaking one i had was supposedly v2 but lasted all of 90 seconds

We're in the same boat. I have a brand new one in the box too. Bought it about a month ago off ebay. I can't buy direct from the factory unless I buy 50 pieces. All other dealers are required to buy 200 pieces to get the best price. I'm not trying to boast, but the owner and I are friends. The Chinese value friendship more than the business deal.

Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly. I know the owner is a very particular guy and if there is any possibility of a problem, he will eat the loss and fix it. Hopefully most of them are alright. I do suspect the newer ones will be better in some way.
    Thanks for the encouraging words Sailr,i do hope you are right now

So far mine work fine,'touching lots of wood'....
    Brod..
    Slow gets boring fast.

I purchased my SeaKing 120 from hiModel about a month ago. I didnt pay very much for it so it's going in the boat. If it flames, it flames. I'll just replace it with another higher quality ESC and hope for the best.

V2.0 is the ones that were recalled.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

ESC's in boats? do the fly guys and car racers have the problems we do. I think not...I have never used them but that well known expensive German manufaturer has a pretty stellar reputation along with ETTI on the economy side.
    Jim, your honest posts are truly valued
    Douggie

Douggie,
    I fly also. Yes, we flyers face the same issues. We do let the smoke out for the same reasons as boaters by overpropping, not providing enough cooling, running too many cells and the BEC at the same time, etc. But generally it is rare.

Boats subject the escs to totally different conditions. The esc must adjust instantly to heavy load vs. no load, that dreaded enemy, water, etc. ESC's work a LOT harder in boats than planes and have a lot more opportunties to smoke.

While those mega dollar German controllers are good as well as the ETTI, I have still seen them smoke. There's no such thing as a perfect esc at any price unfortunately. We just have to try to find the ones that more consistently perform well.

I can't speak for the car guys but generally their motors are geared way down so they don't present the same "shock" to the motor and esc as in boats. They also run out in the open so cooling is more efficient in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    ESC's in boats? do the fly guys and car racers have the problems we do. I think not...I have never used them but that well known expensive German manufaturer has a pretty stellar reputation along with ETTI on the economy side.
    Douggie
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I fly helis too,had a Castle HV smoke on only 8S on connection.
    Went the Kontronic Jazz route after that,still going strong on 9S after about 2 yrs,suberb escs.
    Brod..
    Slow gets boring fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Apples1 View Post
    The will be a new Brand / type of ESC coming out of AUS very soon, i posted this info in the members info section, but it must not have been approved, Here it is again,

I know a guy who is in the final stages of completing 2 esc's and LV200amp and a HV 220 amp one.

Features: Thermal shutdown that actually works
    3rd chanel Timing ajustment on the fly
    Fully water proof ( thats the sticking point at the moment.
    Water Cooled.
    Fraction of the cost of the HYDRA

Cant say too much more they are watching me.. i will try and keep you posted.

You can run, but you cannot hide, John

Loose lips sink ships, mate.

ps it is waterproof.. idiot proofing takes longer.
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Bugger they have found me. Will have to go under ground for a while.
    returning to boats after a big break

Default Seaking 90A ESC

I bought a Seaking 90a about 3 weeks ago and I am having a problem with the low voltage cut off. I wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem? When I am driving my Rigger for about 2-3mins, the LVC activates and the battery isn't even fully drained, and when I go to check the voltage it says 4.0v a cell, and I have it set to 3.0v a cell. So I have ordered a Novak Smart Stop 3-cell and hopefully that will work. I have tried to contact the seller on ebay but he won't respond to anything I ask.

Thanks, Chris

dont use auto cell count
    I have the same fault with my own esc.
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Default Seaking 90A ESC

I don't use Auto cell count I specifically set it to a 3s lipo and 3.0v a LVC, and it still cuts off at 4.0v a cell.

umm
    card option 2(3) for 3cells
    3(3) for 3.0 ( I consider that low for a LiPo... )

havr you logged a run?
    the esc will trip at 3.0v cell if the total v = 12 ( doh ! )
    but underload some older/weaker/used/abused cells will decay to a lower voltage than a rested cell will display.
    ergo run till trip.. and read logs.. probably shows much lower than later when pack cooled.
    W

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast