Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seaking Boat ESC recalled by factory

Default Seaking Boat ESC recalled by factory

There seems to be a recall of Seaking 120a brushless ESC. Hobbycity also informed me that their turnigy 120a boat esc is discontinued.

Did anyone hear anything?

Yes, I have some of the 180A's on order and my shipment has been delayed. I do know the 180A has been recalled, not sure about the others. Something about a "short" problem. I talked to the factory yesterday. I know the owner of Hobbywing and he is a stand up guy. The Seakings have gotten pretty good reviews. I would imagine after the rework they should be even better? One can hope! "Turnigy" is just Hobbycity's relabelling of the Seaking. I don't know if the 120A has been discontinued.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I have a 120A turnigy that just blew up this weekend Just ordered a 200A HiModel

It seems we still haven't found the PERFECT esc! I know some of the manufacturers are trying. For aircraft, they have become very reliable. Unfortunately, the constant and fast changes to the load when used in boats seems to cause various problems. The speedies have come a long way in the last few months. Hopefully there are better times ahead. In the meantime I guess we just pays our money and takes our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by M.M. View Post
    I have a 120A turnigy that just blew up this weekend Just ordered a 200A HiModel
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I know we shouldn't go beyond 70% percent of the ESC's rating. Maybe if people would follow that rule as well ESC manufacturers conservatively rating their ESC's, giving current ratings or watts under given voltages, and maybe some form of "duty cycle" for amp peaks. As we all know that the amp draws are a bit more dynamic than for cars or planes. In my long drawn out way of saying, standards. This way we can evaluate ESC's on a more level playing field.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

I guess we all need to own something like an Eagle Tree System to monitor our actual amp draws, etc. I have thought seriously about buying one just for that purpose. Most of us would probably be shocked to see the 'peak' amps we're drawing.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I ordered a 120a turnigy 2 months ago and they never came in. I cancelled my order last week and I am now waiting for a refund to my paypal account. I was going to buy a seaking instead ... but not any time soon I guess. I wonder how long it will take. I just got an eagle tree with display, rpm, and 2 temps sensors. I haven't used it yet as I had to get some 5.5's to hook it up.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Turnigy is same as Seaking. I expect the same situation if you try to get one. Hope your refund works out!

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I ordered a 120a turnigy 2 months ago and they never came in. I cancelled my order last week and I am now waiting for a refund to my paypal account. I was going to buy a seaking instead ... but not any time soon I guess. I wonder how long it will take. I just got an eagle tree with display, rpm, and 2 temps sensors. I haven't used it yet as I had to get some 5.5's to hook it up.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Turnigy is same as Seaking. I expect the same situation if you try to get one. Hope your refund works out!
    At the time I didn't know why Hobby City didn't get any turnigy's in 2 months and then they took them off the site so I thought I would get a Seaking from fleabay. It would have been nice if Hobby City would have informed me.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Figures, I just ordered 3 Seaking ESC's yesterday. I have been in contact with the place that I purchased them from and asked for a full refund. The company doesn't know anything about the recall, but they def seem willing to give me my money back.
    Team Liquid Dash

I guess we all need to own something like an Eagle Tree System to monitor our actual amp draws, etc. I have thought seriously about buying one just for that purpose. Most of us would probably be shocked to see the 'peak' amps we're drawing.
    You would be very surprised on what your peaks are and where it levels off , I use a eagletree system on all my boats
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Here's an update after doing some research...

I contacted a number of sites, and it seems that Seaking retailers have been asked to halt sales of all Seaking (and Turnigy since they are the same) ESC.

The new revised version should be available within a week.

I have a 120a version on order. Will keep you posted once i receive revised version.

I will have ten of the NEW 180A Seakings and program boxes in here as soon as they are released.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

The will be a new Brand / type of ESC coming out of AUS very soon, i posted this info in the members info section, but it must not have been approved, Here it is again,

I know a guy who is in the final stages of completing 2 esc's and LV200amp and a HV 220 amp one.

Features: Thermal shutdown that actually works
    3rd chanel Timing ajustment on the fly
    Fully water proof ( thats the sticking point at the moment.
    Water Cooled.
    Fraction of the cost of the HYDRA

Cant say too much more they are watching me.. i will try and keep you posted.
    returning to boats after a big break

I sent both my Seaking 180A and 120A in for repair, they've been their over a month and still not yet fixed, maybe they are making same mods to my old ESCs as the coming new revision ?

my 120A seaking worked fine for two times.15 and 3 minutes.in the third time....nothing.no power to the motor.just the BEC worked...

My 120 was the opposite,bec went on 4S,wired a ubec,then the whole esc died,no burn, no smell, just a dead esc..
    My 180's are running fine,even after a total drowning in salt water on one ..
    Brod...
    Slow gets boring fast.

Just goes to show there is no perfect set pattern of failure of any of the esc's we are using. I hope the one mentioned in a post above about a new design coming out of Australia ends up being something more reliable.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I will have ten of the NEW 180A Seakings and program boxes in here as soon as they are released.
    Will you be able to post some pics of the 'version2' 180's when they arrive?
    Mine were bought very recent,it will be interesting to see if there is any differance..
    Brod..
    Slow gets boring fast.

Yes, I will do that.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I wonder if this applies to all the seaking esc's?? I was just going to order a 90 amp version and am leery now..
    Steve

Is this Ver. 2 one possibly the new reworked version? http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Pro...Name=Brushless System for Boat

my 120a was the same as brods, was probably pushing its limits a bit but the bec died after 90 seconds so put on a ubec and esc just died about 4-5 sec after plugging battery up. when the bec died the esc wasnt overl warm either

No. That is the version that was recalled. Newest one still not out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
    Is this Ver. 2 one possibly the new reworked version? http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Pro...Name=Brushless System for Boat
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I doubt there will be any physical change to the ones with the BUG fixed. I would imagine they are modifying what they already had. Not sure though. Will try to keep you posted. I'm waiting for a shipment of them. The bad news...my shipment hasn't come in. the good news....I'll be getting the updated ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Brod View Post
    Will you be able to post some pics of the 'version2' 180's when they arrive?
    Mine were bought very recent,it will be interesting to see if there is any differance..
    Brod..
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Thanks sailr,i kinda expected no exterior change but you never know.
    Seems abit of a bummer that lots of us have recently bought a 'recalled' unit.
    saying that mine seem to be running ok on 4,5 and 6S AT THE MOMENT..LOL..

Wondering if we could send them back to Hobbywing for upgrade?
    Brod..
    Slow gets boring fast.

I really don't know. You could go to www.hobbywing.com and try sending them an e-mail. Other than that you could contact whomever you bought it from. I have a feeling that the 'bug' didn't show up in ALL of the products. It may just effect the latest production run. I would say if yours is working OK, be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brod View Post
    Thanks sailr,i kinda expected no exterior change but you never know.
    Seems abit of a bummer that lots of us have recently bought a 'recalled' unit.
    saying that mine seem to be running ok on 4,5 and 6S AT THE MOMENT..LOL..

Wondering if we could send them back to Hobbywing for upgrade?
    Brod..
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I bought a 180 SeaKing esc (version2) on fleabay. So, is it the one w/o the "short" problem?

Anything you bought recently probably has the bug. In my opinion, Fleabay dealers should NOT be selling them right now because of the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I bought a 180 SeaKing esc (version2) on fleabay. So, is it the one w/o the "short" problem?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I purchased my 120 about a month ago. Do you think it has the Bug you were referring to?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast