Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.A.S.A s new space boat

Sailr & Fred take it to a pm if you have a problem with each other. Please stop the bickering on the public forum. It puts a bad light on both of you!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I believe that the vid has a smaller version, not the 33".

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.O. View Post
    I like the design and love the idea of a fun boat to "zoom" around the pond.
    Thanks, Simon. While I have faster boats, I just love the uniqueness and scale looks of my P-Spec tunnels - easy to drive and real crowd pleasers. While my heat-race prepped DF 33 is faster, it looks like a bubble-hatched irioning board, and at my age, the 'ole eyesight & reflexes make it a handfull to run

Let's focus on the fact that this would be a good boat for an entrant to FE and the hobby.

Witness the popularity of the emerging Spec-Class. Financially more accessible than bigger classes, easier to drive, and definitely a shot in the arm to the hobby.

If it takes a boat like the "NASA" model to invite more folks into this thing we call FE, I'm all for it, comparitive value notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 08-03-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: fixed [/quote] tag
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I like the design and love the idea of a fun boat to "zoom" around the pond.
    Thanks, Simon. While I have faster boats, I just love the uniqueness and scale looks of my P-Spec tunnels - easy to drive and real crowd pleasers. While my heat-race prepped DF 33 is faster, it looks like a bubble-hatched irioning board, and at my age, the 'ole eyesight & reflexes make it a handfull to run

Let's focus on the fact that this would be a good boat for an entrant to FE and the hobby.

Witness the popularity of the emerging Spec-Class. Financially more accessible than bigger classes, easier to drive, and definitely a shot in the arm to the hobby.

If it takes a boat like the "NASA" model to invite more folks into this thing we call FE, I'm all for it, comparitive value notwithstanding.

Douggie
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 08-03-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: fixed [/quote] tag

Someone suggested that it is about 30-35mph from the vid.....that is well fast for someone who buys a new boat out of the box. What does a SV27 do stock ??
    SV27 does about 35-40Mph stock. Yes 30-35mph is OK, but its a long way from the 60Mph claimed by the vendor that delivered this to my LHS.

FYI:
    When you guys play with the "quotes" There needs to be a [ QUOTE ] tag at the beginning, and a [ /QUOTE ] tag at the end. I see so many people strip off the "end quote" tag. Try to be sure it's still there.
    Thanks!

now
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    SV27 does about 35-40Mph stock. Yes 30-35mph is OK, but its a long way from the 60Mph claimed by the vendor that delivered this to my LHS.
    If you believed that vendor. I would suggest your local LHS take him to court and your LHS should do better dillegence the next time.

Douggie

better than me standing in a local hobby shop that has about 4 boats in it, none of the staff have ever run a boat but seemed rather happy to tell they customer that a sv27 out of the box will do 60 mph

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    better than me standing in a local hobby shop that has about 4 boats in it, none of the staff have ever run a boat but seemed rather happy to tell they customer that a sv27 out of the box will do 60 mph
    It won't?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

no it wont, but maybe they supplier never told the hobby shop the boat in question will do 100 klmh, maybe an assumption of the hobby shop

Theres a lot of stuff being sold on ebay by a couple of companies in the States that I won't name that sell pretty junky stuff with crappy motors and make wild claims and want big prices. It's a shame when scam artists infest our hobby. There are a couple of others on the net too that are bringing in everything they can get their hands on out of china. It is really pretty stuff but beyond that it is of dubious quality. They make wild claims about speed and then they're dumb enough to post videos showing the boats are dogs. I guess they figure they'll catch a sucker now and then. Too bad.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

When buying something, anything, I do my research first and find a variety of opinions and reviews if possible. A new toaster does not get this sort of attention but a new DVD player or car for the wife does.

If you believe the "salesman" then I have very little sympathy for you.
    This is not aimed at anyone in particular here but is a generic observation.

If you buy the toaster and it takes 120 seconds to brown both sides instead of 90 secons like the salesman said then that is not too bad, unless you paid $500 for the toaster.

With a model boat of plane or any purchase that for me is over $100, I will read and learn about the product before I buy.

As for E-bay speeds I place little faith in them and anyone who does is a mug.

Back to topic

I still like this boat and will see if I can get a hull only.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

i have talked acouple of times to the guy who sells them in oz and he can be rather helpful when it comes to some of the chinese gear and he has items that arnt listed. some have slight shipping damage that he sells of cheaper so he maybe worth an email

Do you really expect a lot of the LHS to have a clue? Sad, but the old timers that knew what they were doing that used to run the shops seem to be a thing of the past. There are still a lot of good ones around but really hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    If you believed that vendor. I would suggest your local LHS take him to court and your LHS should do better dillegence the next time.

Douggie
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Do you really expect a lot of the LHS to have a clue? Sad, but the old timers that knew what they were doing that used to run the shops seem to be a thing of the past. There are still a lot of good ones around but really hard to find.
    Not long ago I stood at the counter of my LHS and overheard a sales associate giving the most absurdly innacurate prop recommendations to an entry-level boat customer. I held my tongue . Two weeks ago the manager asked me if I'd give an SV-27 customer a call; he was having the usual frustrations dialing it in, and the manager, who knew nothing about boats was unable to solve the guy's problems. I ended up having a twenty minute phone conversation with the custy, invited him to the lake, and even offered to have him come to my apt/shop for a dial-in tune-up. The LHS now has my phone number on file and will refer any customer boat questions/situations to me. This is surely a win-win situation : the LHS may now feel more confident in selling boats, and and SoCal Fast Electrics may end up with some fresh talent ! Give this a try, Guys !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Good for you! You're a big man to step into that role. I hope it produces good results and more happy entrants into the hobby.

Not long ago I stood at the counter of my LHS and overheard a sales associate giving the most absurdly innacurate prop recommendations to an entry-level boat customer. I held my tongue . Two weeks ago the manager asked me if I'd give an SV-27 customer a call; he was having the usual frustrations dialing it in, and the manager, who knew nothing about boats was unable to solve the guy's problems. I ended up having a twenty minute phone conversation with the custy, invited him to the lake, and even offered to have him come to my apt/shop for a dial-in tune-up. The LHS now has my phone number on file and will refer any customer boat questions/situations to me. This is surely a win-win situation : the LHS may now feel more confident in selling boats, and and SoCal Fast Electrics may end up with some fresh talent ! Give this a try, Guys !
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I wonder if they can sell just the hull??
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have heard the same BS from sales associates at many locations. I was a salesman and prided myself on giving accurate and honest evaluations of the product. If I thought the product would not meet the customers demands I would suggest a competitor's product.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I wonder if they can sell just the hull??
    That N.A.S.A. looking boat will be sweet if it were available in a bare hull!

So ... are you saying you would like a bare naked hull?
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Yep, that would make a fine jet drive hull. I'd buy one of the 17 inchers to convert if the hull was available separately. Nice!

Head of the River has the hull for $65.

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-vacuumised-fi...4.c0.m14.l1262
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Sweeet!!! It will probably be a short time before they have the longer versions in stock.

They also have this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/16-outrigger-sha...d=p3911.c0.m14
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Good for Joe! Now you guys can get your fix!

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Sweeet!!! It will probably be a short time before they have the longer versions in stock.

They also have this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/16-outrigger-sha...d=p3911.c0.m14
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

YO!!! Diegoboy, Head of the river has the hull only in a 16" version!! It does look sweet!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12