Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mid Atlantic Boaters, lets break the FE barrier in IMPBA D12

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    More good news guys. I just got a email from Timothy Jones from the Old Dominion Club. It looks like they are going to keep their pond at the high school for one more year. So if you guys decide you want to join, now would be a great time to let them know your out there. Tell 'em I sent you. Also it looks like there are now three spec tunnels that want to run. I believe they all belong to the OD club. Thank you all for your support!!!

Mike
    I have talked to folks at Debbie's RC and they were very optimistic about the club being stable for the the time being.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I finally got my IMPBA number !!!

I will be in P-mono and P-spec hydro.

I am stoked and ready to race!

Edit: I have also contacted ODMBA about becoming a member.

Whoo- hooo! You are now official!!!

What are you going to run for P-spec hydro Chuck?

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Kent I think I will run the UL-1 to start but may switch to the H&M XS2 if I find it is legal.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    More good news guys. I just got a email from Timothy Jones from the Old Dominion Club. It looks like they are going to keep their pond at the high school for one more year. So if you guys decide you want to join, now would be a great time to let them know your out there. Tell 'em I sent you. Also it looks like there are now three spec tunnels that want to run. I believe they all belong to the OD club. Thank you all for your support!!!

Mike

Mike I did send an email about joining and I mentioned your name along with a couple of others they should know.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

As most know, I'm a sport boater. I've looked over the rules and am having difficulty determining what the length requirements are for the various classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have the following:

Mono
    4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

• H&M No Step 1 = 22.6" Length

3s1p:

• Tenshock Eco = 16.8" Length - which I don't believe is legal, even if I change the motor/batt setup

Hydro
    4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

• H&M Viper Turbine = 24.2" Length
    • Blizzard Rigger = 22.2" Length
    • X-Crab Evo Rigger = 27.4" Length -hope to have running if I have time

Tunnel/Cat
    4s1p:

• Blackjack 26 = 26" Length -not stock power or hardware

I'm looking for input regarding how to fit these hulls into what you'll are planning to run. Again, I don't have any stock motors such as UL1, SV26, or BJ26, but I have many other motors I could use.

Thanks for the input.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I guess if one can squeeze 4S in it, it's P spec?
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hey Guys,

"P" is a power classification basically meaning 4S (14.8v) power . All the classes we are proposing will be using 4S power. You can use one 4s pack, two 2s packs in series or 4s2p. It's all good. Spec classes have to run a specific motor. In our case, either the UL1,BJ26 or SV27 motor. The "P-spec hyrdo" and "P-spec tunnel" class will require one of the designated spec motors. The "P-mono" class allows any motor.

I cant find the IMPBA Rules on the web site that has the trial rules that we are currently under. But if memory serves, there is no minimum length for most classes. I believe there is a maximum's, but I don't think it will be a factor.

But as far as boat size. The bigger the better. If you're racing with five other boats, allot of chop gets created. You will get swallowed up by the water in a small boat. Often, it is not the fastest boat that wins a heat.

Now if you guys want to try racing and want to keep the investment down to a minimum. Why not run novice class? The only rule is you cannot run riggers. You can run any battery and motor you want. You can run sport hydros or any other hull other than riggers. Entry fees are only five bucks and you get to whoop up on nitro boats. Most of the nitro boats run in this class are the RTR Aquacraft Miss Vegas boats. Me and my son lapped them every heat we ran last year. Just something to consider.

I have a used UL-1 speed controller that has a blown cap. I bought it used but understand it will work if a cap is added. If any of you guys (FEMBOTS) want it, it's yours.

Any other questions, fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Kent I think I will run the UL-1 to start but may switch to the H&M XS2 if I find it is legal.
    Sweet!! Should be fun!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post

As most know, I'm a sport boater. I've looked over the rules and am having difficulty determining what the length requirements are for the various classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have the following:

Mono
    4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

• H&M No Step 1 = 22.6" Length

3s1p:

• Tenshock Eco = 16.8" Length - which I don't believe is legal, even if I change the motor/batt setup

Hydro
    4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

• H&M Viper Turbine = 24.2" Length
    • Blizzard Rigger = 22.2" Length
    • X-Crab Evo Rigger = 27.4" Length -hope to have running if I have time

Tunnel/Cat
    4s1p:

• Blackjack 26 = 26" Length -not stock power or hardware

I'm looking for input regarding how to fit these hulls into what you'll are planning to run. Again, I don't have any stock motors such as UL1, SV26, or BJ26, but I have many other motors I could use.

Thanks for the input.
    Ben, could you use one of the three spec motor listed in your X-Crab? That may work out...ecspecially if you can run a 4S lipo in it....

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Thanks for the info.

I don't mind running a smaller boat since I can setup more stable for that application.

I don't have any spec motors at this time and so, I'll be available for p-mono or p-hydro.

If I could figure out a spec motor, whould I have to run a spec ESC as well or does it only apply to the motor?

Thanks for the suggestion on the X-Crab, but I'm afraid it will cook any spec motor since it's difficult to get on plane. It most likely will smoke any ESC I have presently as well.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Hey Ben,
    Acutally P-mono is the only non spec class. Hydro and tunnel classes will be required to use the spec motors. I wrote the rules proposal to be as flexible as possible. So if you can get your hands on a spec motor, you can use any speed controller you want. And like I said, I have a UL1 controller you can have.

I understand. I'm not sure if I'm going to manage a spec motor at this time as I'm not really buying anything. We'll have to see what I can manage.

I appreciate the offer for the ESC, but I don't really need it. It will be much better served helping out another boater who has the need.

Okay Ben. If there is anything I can do for you, just ask.

Thanks, the same offer goes to you.

Can we define spec motor? Is it limited to SV27, BJ26, UL1 motors or is it any RTR motor?

I'm always confused when it comes to spec classes. The spirit of the rules is to keep the boats in competitive speed ranges at a lower cost then unlimited options. That being said, IMHO, I think it's ridiculous that I can't purchase an Ammo motor with the same or less KV and still be able to meet requirements.

Let's say someone wanted to use a smaller model, but use the motor from ProBoat's WidowMaker at 2900kv. That's a stock motor.

I'm not trying to bend the rules here, but simply wanted to voice my opinion regarding the "spirit" of the rules. Why not make it Turnigy motors at 1/3 the cost or outrunners that can handle the larger props and limit the total KV rating in order to race? It just seems silly to force someone to use equipment that you have to overprop to be competitive, just to smoke an ESC or buy a bigger ESC to accommodate. Meanwhile you're buying the stuff out of China anyway for the RTR's.

After all, these spec motors were designed to be used with boats that measure 26-27" Now we're asking them to push 31"! You better have some good batteries in there, which are more expensive, otherwise you'll lose those too.

OK, I said my piece. I think the idea is there, but the rules will eventually have to be revamped as these "RTR" manufacturers release new china versions of their stuff. It's just hard to have fun while justifying the extra cost for a spec motor when there's additional risk, more so than a cheaper, more conservative setup available to the tune of 30-40% reduction in cost.

Hey Ben. I appreciate your concern and input. The number one reason I picked the three motors is because other districts (IMPBA and Namba) have been using these motors in their spec/limited class with success. These motors are comparable in power, readily available and relatively inexpensive. They are also comparable in power to .21 nitro motors which gives the district more options to include FE classes in the district this year. Using the same motors that other districts use also gives racers from outside D12 the opportunity to race with us.

Now, what about other motors? I'm not an EE and I dont have any idea what the criteria should be. Kv, motor size, wattage? Are we going to have to dyno each motor to make sure one does not have a significant advantage? What happens when a new motor comes out that meets the criteria and is more powerfull. I'm afraid everyone who wants to be competetive will run out and buy that motor. Which then also defeats the spirit of the class.

I have not heard of any major problems with the three selected motors burning out. And from what I read, these motors have been pushing tunnel hulls to 50 mph and riggers into the mid to upper 50's. Yes, if you over prop them, you will shorten their life. And yes people with deep pockets will probably push their equipment a little harder to try and gain an advantage Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. Fortunately, a well tuned boat and good driving usually will more than overcome a performance advantage. One of the first things I learned at a race is the fastest boat does not always win. Usually they are the first one on their lid.

Anyhow, Thats why I choose those motors for our spec class.
    Last edited by Chilli; 02-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Good post Mike.

If I remember right you will find the new FE rules in the Dec. 2008 Roostertail. The rulebook should be updated by the end of the year hopefully.

Good luck fellas!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Four days to the meeting in Richmond. Another pleasent surprise that I have learned over the last week. There is a good chance P-spec tunnels are going to make a showing in the district this year. It looks like we have four current members that either have or are building tunnel boats. So it's going to be an interesting meeting. As soon as I get back Saturday afternoon, I'll let you all know what transpired and I should also have the race dates for the season.

Thanks for the input Mike. I wasn't trying to change anything, but simply trying to understand why one motor is OK and another one isn't. If the motivation for this class was to be cost effective, then I was indicating that there are some $25 to $30 motors that are easier on a budget. In any case, I wasn't questioning your decision regarding what motors to run. After all, you are right about deep pockets. I've had a few different BJ26 motors in the past and one was significantly better than the other. I guess if you have deep pockets, you could order 10, bench test them and return the ones that didn't perform.

Thanks for the info on Roostertails, I'll look that up for more info.

I'm glad to hear that others will have some tunnels to run. I like all the effort you've made to generate interest in the FE classes. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Do we have any rules about twin setups??

No Worries Ben. I've always welcomed input from you guys. Even though I've taken the intiative, it's not just about what I want. Besides, winter in our neck of the woods is about building boats and bench(keyboard) racing. If it was warmer, we would be at the pond. Anyway, there was a loooong thread on the subject of spec motors on RRR a few months ago where the pros and cons were discussed. After a page or two,I got tired of reading it. I took the same approach in coming up with rules that I do when I build a boat. I'm relatively new at this so I tend to do what has worked well for others. Now to tell you the truth, most that have raced classes combined have warned that it may not work out very well. But I consider this a transition year. I just want to get as much FE exposure in the district as possible this year. I think the rest will work out on its own.

I don't think there are any IMPBA classes for twins. Districts do run them. The only one's I have ever seen were Twin nitro riggers. Something that may be confusing that we have to separate is that there are IMPBA classes that are in the rule book and Club/District classes that are not. The P-mono class is a IMPBA class. There spec classes that we and other districts run are District classes. There are Spec classes in the IMPBA rule book, but they use brushed motors and are not as popular. The IMPBA gives districts the flexibility to run what they want. The rule book is like reading Chinese the first few times you read it. So you guys continue to ask questions if you dont understand something you read.

Don't worry, I use a translator...

...his name is Mike

Close this puppy out Danny!!!!

Mike, How did the meeting go? I'm guessing you are going to start a new thread since you asked Danny to close this one...

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Aha!!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456