Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Atlantic Boaters, lets break the FE barrier in IMPBA D12

Default Mid Atlantic Boaters, lets break the FE barrier in IMPBA D12

I'm starting this thread for anyone in the Mid Atlantic area that may be interested in getting into racing. This time last year, I decided I wanted to get into FE boat racing. I started doing research into what opportunities existed in my area but the results were disappointing. After contacting a local club in my area, I decided to join them and give myself two years to see what I could do to get FE racing going in the region.

Over the past summer, I have been an active member of my club and have hopefully put myself in a position where I can possibly request either to have an FE class added to the IMPBA district 12 races next year (2010), or at least have us run with comparable nitro/gas boats. I plan on making this request to my club president and district director before the district meeting early next year. I ask for anyone who may be interested in taking the plunge to attend one of the remaining races this year as a spectator. Look at the race schedule to see if you would be able to attend a few of the district events next year. And if you're still interested, join the IMPBA at the end of the year for the 2010 season. The more people I can show committed by having them join IMPBA, the more I put myself in a position of strength. Right now I have three or four people that are interested in running P-mono’s next year. So we’re off to a good start.

IMPBA District 12 serves Maryland, DC, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina. These are the states where the member clubs are located and where the races are held. You do not have to live within these states to participate. And while I encourage you to join a club, you do not have to be a member of a club to race. You must only be a member of IMPBA. Five district points races are held at Hagerstown, MD, Centreville, VA, Greensboro, NC, Queenstown, MD and Chesapeake, VA. There are also a few fun runs in spring and fall. The two remaining district races this year are in Chesapeake, VA at the end of August and Hagerstown, MD at the end of September. My son and I will be running novice class at the Hagerstown race.

http://www.impba12.com/

Please use this thread for anyone that may be interested in joining us. Introduce yourself and tell us what class you may be interested in running. Ask any questions you may have including what to expect during a race weekend.

We are in a position to make this happen!!!
    Last edited by Chilli; 07-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Well boys and girls, dispite the overwhelming lack of interest in this thread, I still decided to post the race flyer for the last D12 race of the season in Hagerstown, MD. Again, anyone that is interested in racing is invited to participate in the novice class or drop by as a spectator and see what it's all about. Novice class allows any boats except riggers. You will be running gas/nitro length heats which will be six laps so prop accordingly. If you can run about 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, you should be in good shape. Any questions, post them here.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry, I just don't care for the D12 crew.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

now if you want to start a D12.5 crew, maybe!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I understand where your coming from Danny and respect your choice.

You fellas should rent a extended van and race in D-13. Bunch of great people (except me) lol, and we have four FE classes on the roster now.

Keep your head up Mike, things will come around. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 08-18-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks for the invite Doug. Once I get a season or two of racing under my belt, I may load up the Suburban and do that. I'm building a stock gas DF Sniper for next year, so I'm going racing either way. My son can run his Mean Machine in novice for the next two years.

About the only option I see for next year is asking the district to run B-mono and P-mono together. I know my club does not have a problem with doing that. Is that an unreasonable request? I believe I have read that some in Namba have been doing that and I remember reading a thread where Casey won a P-mono, B-mono shootout that you guys ran in D13. Do the two classes run well together?

BTW- Do you know Barry Droste in D13? I'm dropping a bag of buoys off to him on the way back from vacation next week.
    Last edited by Chilli; 08-18-2009 at 11:40 PM.

I know Barry, I hope you'll not be in a Hurry.

Bs and Ps race well together but our Ps. 1515 1Y ,Hydra 240,4s2p 4900 with 640s were clearly faster. We haven't been asked to do that again as of yet.

If you get the chance to go there my advice would be to go with a setup that doesn't clean their clocks yet is still competitive. Make it a drivers race, and you'll keep the door open.
    Something else to look at is P-Spec O/B Tunnels and their 20s.

Good luck!!!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Very good advise as usual Doug. I'll take some B-mono lap times at the race and make sure I am comparable.

Barry sounds like a good guy. I have to meet him off Rt. 95 in the middle of a 20 hour road trip, with wife, kids and boat in tow.

I know I'm barking in the wind, but:

IMPBA D12 Race in Chesapeake VA this weekend.

Indian River High School, 1969 Braves Trail, Chesapeake, VA

http://www.impba12.com/fliers/17_Ann...al_Flyer-2.pdf

If your in the area, check it out.

Show me something other than Gas & nitro, I may show face.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Show me something other than Gas & nitro, I may show face.
    Show up and show some interest and there wil be more than gas and nitro my brother.

Doug

Mike will you bail me out if I get locked up by the OSE Police???lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

As you know, I'm working on that gas, nitro thing. If I can get the District to run P-mono and B-mono together next year. I will be down there next August and hope the FEMBOT groupies will show up in support, if not to participate. And the "don't clean their clocks" suggestion by Doug will be suspended for that race.

I don't know if my bail money is good down in Tidewater Doug, I'm too close to the Mason-Dixon Line.

I have been there with interest in FE with Dirtysouth31. I was frowned upon with my FE and when I tried to talk to a guy that was using a BJ26 brushless as a recovery boat, I was still alienated.
    So you twist their arm using the rules to allow FE, that still doesn't change their attitude.

I think that alot of the nitro guys that have invested their time and $$ are worried about FE coming in and changing things on them.

I recently went to the Gas Clash down in MD and was blown off by a couple of guys down there when I brought up FE boats. One guy actually told me that the reason that he wanted nothing to do with them is that there is too much competition in the BL motors and Lipo batteries and that they were too expensive for him...HUH? The gas boats that he was running have a pretty hefty price tag on them and I think that, for the most part, the racers were all using the same kinds of motors and setups!! HMMM.... sounded like an excuse to me!

There were definately some very cool guys there though (and ALOT of big names too).

Like Mike said...We need to start blazing some trails for ourselves here in the Mid Atlantic areas to open up some FE racing!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Well boys and girls, dispite the overwhelming lack of interest in this thread, I still decided to post the race flyer for the last D12 race of the season in Hagerstown, MD. Again, anyone that is interested in racing is invited to participate in the novice class or drop by as a spectator and see what it's all about. Novice class allows any boats except riggers. You will be running gas/nitro length heats which will be six laps so prop accordingly. If you can run about 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, you should be in good shape. Any questions, post them here.

Mike

Thanks for posting this race....I will be there...

I know I'm barking in the wind, but:

IMPBA D12 Race in Chesapeake VA this weekend.

Indian River High School, 1969 Braves Trail, Chesapeake, VA

http://www.impba12.com/fliers/17_Ann...al_Flyer-2.pdf

If your in the area, check it out.
    This one I don't think I will make...Might need your umbrella this weekend...

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Mike, Kent, Danny anyone....
    If you guys can collect up a class or two (three boats minimum) and want to race in the District contact Don Ferrette at donferrette@verizon.net . There is no reason why you guys can't run FE only classes.
    Don is the Dist Director and the National Gas Director. I can't imagine him not giving you all the support you need. If you want to call him send me a PM and I'll give you his number.

Danny there is allways one or two in the crowd,( we lovenly refer to them as gasholes lol) don't let them get to you. Racing is a blast weather you win or not and you'll meet a bunch of really nice folks!!
    You guys are missing out on some great fun!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I know Don F. Dirtysouth31 introduced me to him...

I was there when his newly built Camel Joe's Hydro blew over just before he was to run her in Atlanta.

I hung out with some guys yesterday (nitro stuff) with Dirtysouth31. I saw this beautiful boat built by Don Ferrette. He set the boat in the water for the first time. I later watched it blow over and destroy the wing. It has front flaps that he put at a 45 degree angle to keep the nose down. On her maiden voyage, he forgot to lock the flaps, causing her blow over. I want to know what keeps the nose down on the proboat hulls. We don't have a curved turn fin like outriggers do. I was thinking that the batts will keep her nose down since I don't have them there flaps.

I talked to Don at the Gas Clash while he was marshalling the start/finish line. He seems like a good guy...

Thanks for the advice Doug...good info!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

I lent an extention chord to Don the weekend of the Capitol RC race. When some racers got hot over a bad start, he reminded people by saying "hey guys, these are toy boats". I believe he has his priorities in order and encourages growth in the hobby. I plan on talking to him a little bit over the Hagerstown race weekend.

What I would like to see is "P-mono" or any other FE class on the D12 race fliers next year. I'm thinking running with the B-monos may be our best bet for a few reasonss. First, race weekends are already crowded with heats and I think running with the "B's" will get us some exposure without increasing the number of heats which would cause an added burden on the rest of the racers. Second, other than my son and myself, there are only two other potential racers that have shown an interest getting onboard in D12. At this point, I don't believe we have enough participation to ask for a separate class. And I don't want to see any of the FE racers get frustrated by signing up for a race and then see the class cancelled due to lack of participation. If I cannot get us paired up with the B-mono's for 2010, then we will have to coordinate what races we can attend and ask for a separate class at those individual races as Doug suggested.

I don't want to muscle my way in and piss people off. Just want to get our foot in the door.
    Last edited by Chilli; 08-28-2009 at 02:44 PM.

I lent an extention chord to Don the weekend of the Capitol RC race. When some racers got hot over a bad start, he reminded people by saying "hey guys, these are toy boats". I believe he has his priorities in order and encourages growth in the hobby. I plan on talking to him a little bit over the Hagerstown race weekend.

What my goal is, is to see "P-mono" or any other FE class on the D12 race fliers next year. I'm thinking running with the B-monos may be our best bet for a few reasonss. First, race weekends are already crowded with heats and I think running with the "B's" will get us some exposure without increasing the number of heats which would cause an added burden on the rest of the racers. Second, other than my son and myself, there are only two other potential racers that have shown an interest getting onboard in D12. At this point, I don't believe we have enough participation to ask for a seperate class. And I don't want to see any of the FE racers sign up for a race and then see the class cancelled due to lack of participation. If I cannot get us paired up with the B-mono's for 2010, then we will have to coordinate what races we can attend and ask for a separate class at those individual races as Doug suggested.

I don't want to muscle my way in and piss people off. Just want to get my foot in the door.

Sounds like a good plan Mike! I should have plenty of time before the 2010 race season to get a solid P-mono together!

Great thread, by the way!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Doug, are you still running a Rico mono? Mike ran across the Rico site while he was surfing and knew that I was looking for a mono so he gave me a tip on the 31". Looks like a good boat. I looked at the Rico picture gallery and saw yours there...you really know how to make some clean setups!

Any thoughts on this mono?

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Quote Originally Posted by HOTWATER View Post
    Doug, are you still running a Rico mono? Mike ran across the Rico site while he was surfing and knew that I was looking for a mono so he gave me a tip on the 31". Looks like a good boat. I looked at the Rico picture gallery and saw yours there...you really know how to make some clean setups!

Any thoughts on this mono?

-Kent
    Kent I really like my Rico, a couple of my club buds just ordered the 31. I guess they are tired of chasing mine. BTW thanks for the cudos.

It sounds like you guys have your heads in the right place.

When you are out there with those guys get familiar with the retrieve boat operation, and don't be afraid to make yourself available to use it.
    If you see something that needs to be done do it, if they need help with the site help them. It makes a difference, trust me.

Another little something to consider, talk to Don about it.
    I think it is a good idea to have a FE guy retrieve the dead boats after a heat race if there is a FE boat on the pond. The IC guys are used to dead boats being dead, they may not handle ours the way we do.

for rambling.

Good luck!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks for the race info Mike I will be sure to stop by and watch the action. Speaking of P-mono are there any restrictions as to hull size? I have a mono that is just shy of 31" that I have most of the stuff for and will put it all together this winter as well.

Edit: it looks like 31" is ok. I have Ray Fuller designed mono made by Bandit Boats and I was told it was an el lobo 2. But when I ordered a new hatch from Ray it was to small so I am not so sure what it is.

She's an El Lobo 4

She's an El Lobo 4

Thanks Diego - that explains the hatch being to small.

Chuck, that hull size would be pertect for P-mono. I believe there used to be a size limit but I don't see any in the current rules. If memory serves me, it was a 34" max for P-mono.

If your thinking about joining us for a few races next season, we would love to have you, as well as ALL THE FEMBOTS!

One point I want to reiterate. You only have to be an IMPBA member to race. You do not have to be a member of a district club. The FEMBOTs got a good thing going. Don't want that to change. Would just like you all to come out a couple times a year and churn up some water.

Sean450- You out there??? Hows the mono build going???
    Last edited by Chilli; 08-29-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Just once. Just ONCE, let me put my viper in the water with the nitro boys!

The El Lobo is a beauty!! What motor are you planning to run in it?

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Quote Originally Posted by HOTWATER View Post
    The El Lobo is a beauty!! What motor are you planning to run in it?

-Kent
    I would like to put in a 1515-1Y but in reality I will probably put in a Feigao 540-7XL or maybe 580-6L. I don't know for sure and am still up in the air about it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast