Thread: Mikes Mini rigger

Default Mikes Mini rigger

Hi Guys, I look around here all the time but I never post anything so I thought I would say HI, and show you guys the new mini rigger I just built. I see lots of interest in little riggers so I had to show mine. I thought about doing a build thread, But its a prototype and I did not want anyone to follow along in case I built a turd. But it worked very well. Its 19'' long and 12.5'' wide and weighs 12 oz with battery in. I was curious about the flat sided sponsons and now I can say they work really well, this is the best turning rigger I own. Its based kinda on the jap rigger plan from intl waters, Just the sponsons really. I am a nitro/gas guy who just got hooked by fast electrics, These things are a hoot and so cheap to build and run. I love it. Thanks for looking, Mike M
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike,

Welcome to the forums. Nice little rigger. You should've done a build thread either way because the great people on here would've done everything in their power to make that rigger work in the unfortunate event it didn't run correctly. But lets be thankful that was not the case and I will be looking for updates in the future. Happy Boating!!!

Good Job Mike! I like it!! What kind of setup are you running inside the tub (motor/ESC/lipos) and outback (rudder/strut/prop)?

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Nice job. I want to know how you made that hatch!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SWEET RIGGER!! Nice and wide like they do over in Hong Kong
    not to jack your thread but can I show off mine?

I call it the Oxi-Digger a BBY/Oxidean team prototype that actually holds the Namba N-1 Hydro record!

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    SWEET RIGGER!! Nice and wide like they do over in Hong Kong
    not to jack your thread but can I show off mine?

I call it the Oxi-Digger a BBY/Oxidean team prototype that actually holds the Namba N-1 Hydro record!
    Here it is

Thanks for the comments guys. I will do a build thread soon, I think people would like a cheap fast and easy to build rigger. but I have a few others to finish first. Inside the tub is the cheap part, I use a mystery brand 3850kv outrunner and 30 amp spd controller, it was 25 bucks shipped from hong kong for both. The batteries are Shida LiPos 1000mah 3s, I got them for 17 bucks each, They have a 30c rating. I made all the hardware, Its not fancy just flat stainless for the rudder and the strut is just a piece of stainless slotted for adjustment and soldered right on the brass shaft that is the flex housing. Super simple and real affordable. I will post a pic of the hardware later. The prop is a octura 430 I worked a bit. I am still trying to find the perfect prop for it. The hatch is also real simple just thin ply and the little bubble for motor clearance is a piece of plastic I cut from the corner of a plastic bottle I got from my wife, it had some kind of hair goo in it. Bill I would never complain about a thread jacking, I am here to learn and you have a cool rigger there, How fast will it go? This is just a guess, but Judging by gps readings from larger boats I own, I think this goes about 50mph??? but I dont know for sure. It sure is entertaining to drive. Not bad for a boat I spent under a 100 bucks on. Mike M

Mike, that is Sweeeeet. I have seen pics of most riggers posted on the net, ok maybe not all of them but a LOT.

I too like the wide stance. My bigger rigger has this idea in it.
    The 19" ? is that overall or just the tub, I suspect OA given that it 12.5"wide

I know what you are saying about keeping it quiet untill it is built. I have done that too.

I really want to see some more pics of this little baby and hear what is in there.

Bill Nice boat too, that I would like to read more about as I am sure other guys do too. In the most polite way can I ask that you run up a separate build / setup thread for this.

Hmmm......mini rigger............water feature outside Smales Office park.
    I have a plan Back soon.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.O. View Post
    Mike, that is Sweeeeet. I have seen pics of most riggers posted on the net, ok maybe not all of them but a LOT.

Bill Nice boat too, that I would like to read more about as I am sure other guys do too. In the most polite way can I ask that you run up a separate build / setup thread for this.

Absolutely..
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 07-25-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixed [/quote] tags

Hi Guys, Heres a few more pics of my lil boat. Simon, its 19 to the end of the tub, the hardware adds two inches. I did not mean I was keeping anything quiet, I just meant I have a few other boats on my project bench to finish before I get back to this one, I actually started trying to draw up a plan for this that I want to post for free when I am finished. But I wanted to play with the boat first to see if it was worthy. It really is. I wanted to draw up a plan and then do a build along thread. I know I really like building boats and threads like that can be very helpful to some folks. I have learned a great deal on this site and I hope to give some back if I can. Anyway for now heres some pics of the inside and the carbon front plates and booms. And the simple hardware, I could have spent hours on the milling machine and made some real cool stuff but I wanted to try something easy for everyone to duplicate that is light and functional. This stuff is not much to look at but it gets the job done well. And all thats needed is at most hobby stores. Check out the pics and let me know if I should try to finish the plan. I have never made a boat plan before but I think I can figure it out?? I made the boat, how hard can it be to make a plan??. It will probably kick my arse but I will keep trying if you guys are interested. Thanks for looking. Mike M

Thanks for posting more pics of your rigger Mike! Great scratch build!!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

I just traded for this rigger on RCU. I'm running a polyrc 3s 1350 18c pack. X427 and X430. Holy SH*$!! It is a rocket. I will say, this is THE best boat I have ever driven in the corners! WOT hairpin turns in a super small radius is no problem. This guy did a very sweet job on this little guy! Hopefully I'll get some vid of it soon.

Hey Rumdog, Thank you. I was hoping to hear what you thought of the boat. I guess you like it huh? I thought it turned pretty good too. Its nice to know its at a good home with a guy that will enjoy it. I would love to see a video, I never got around to filming it. I will do a build thread when build my next one. It will have a larger tub to accommodate 4S and a normal size receiver. The rest will stay the same. Thanks again. Mike M

Ryan
    From what I can see of the rigger you have a very good hull there !!
    I have been in touch with Mike ( the previous owner ) and have told him as much.

I will be in your ear soon for a few key dimesions if you are keen to do a bit of measuring and typing for me.

Mike
    Like I told you before, if you build a boat then it is mandatory to post lost of pics

Cheers, Simon.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood