Thread: 25 Things About To Become Extinct

Default 25 Things About To Become Extinct

Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

He has dial-up Internet on his list. Funny - that's the only way to get it where I live! And I have to dial long-distance for a connection, which tops out about 22K.

He also has incandescent bulbs there, which is dumb. CFLs will bring us back to the 1960's with Hg in our food chain again. Wait till the greenies figure that out!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    He has dial-up Internet on his list. Funny - that's the only way to get it where I live! And I have to dial long-distance for a connection, which tops out about 22K.

He also has incandescent bulbs there, which is dumb. CFLs will bring us back to the 1960's with Hg in our food chain again. Wait till the greenies figure that out!

Andy
    Are you serious, the last time I used dial up was in 1999.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

I didn't see you on the list.

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Didn't see individualism on there either.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    Are you serious, the last time I used dial up was in 1999.
    Yup. I guess I could get a Hughes dish, but $70/month is a bit high for what you get speed-wise. Or maybe a 3G card - a guy about a mile away has one of those, but I don't have a machine running Windows to use it and Linux doesn't support them well yet.

People closer to the grain elevators have dishes to talk to an antenna on the elevator, but I'm too far away for that, and besides they lose their connection every time it rains or the wind blows (and that's almost ALL the time here in Illinois).

Dial-up is the closest thing to "reliable" that is still cost-effective (if you can call $25/month "cost effective"). We don't have cable TV here (doesn't bother me), nor DSL.

It's worth it, though, and in about 5 years I wouldn't mind moving further out.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team