Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new proboat catamaran

Default new proboat catamaran

sorry about the erased posts, i wasnt really paying attention to what i was erasing...

this thread is about the new Proboat Apache Catamaran they came out with...basically the SW26 in a cat hull...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3400
    Last edited by saleens7; 08-01-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

Cool

When are these manufacturers gonna wake up and realize how poor that old-school steerable outdrive is? That design is from the late 1980s. It's fragile, has poor efficiency, is difficult to maintain properly, is draggy and costly. Cheezy brushed 05 motor, at least there is an ESC.

I see nothing innovative here, especially compared to the SV27, etc. The bar has been raised for almost a year - but some boat makers just won't jump. :rolleyes:

Last edited by saleens7; 07-23-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Ill take care of that.....................

im drunk///////////////
    60% of the time... it works every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    When are these manufacturers gonna wake up and realize how poor that old-school steerable outdrive is? That design is from the late 1980s. It's fragile, has poor efficiency, is difficult to maintain properly, is draggy and costly. Cheezy brushed 05 motor, at least there is an ESC.
    This boat is all about price point. I know its not what we like, but there are lots & lots of people out there that are using 15mph boats.

compared to the SV27, etc. The bar has been raised for almost a year - but some boat makers just won't jump. :rolleyes:
    I have to agree there.

It would be nice is Horizon made a competing mono to race against the sv27. We could have a ford/chevy race class.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Cool

Steve I understand that very well (although the steerable outdrive is more costly than a fixed flex shaft) - and I guess I was too being too harsh. But when the market sees how well the SV has been accepted - and sells - yet does not at least occasionally rise to meet it, I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale.

Steve I understand that very well (although the steerable outdrive is more costly than a fixed flex shaft) - and I guess I was too being too harsh. But when the market sees how well the SV has been accepted - and sells - yet does not at least occasionally rise to meet it, I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale.

As you know we only have 2 major distributors. Luckily for us, one hired Grim. The other is more into gas and nitro.

I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale
    I dont think its as much a rc boat manufacturer issue. As a father I know that 2 well! I cant tell you how many things I have bought that only are in the spotlight for a week, including some well built toys collecting dust. Only thing that gets use around my house is the computer and xbox. So much so that we have to limit their use to the weekends during the school year.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

This may be the hull I need for my little outboard project..

I like these little boats. They help get more people into FE. This boat is $139.00. That is high for someone starting out in R/C boats. Now look at how much we are spending. Drag em in cheap!

what about the black jack, is that hull anywhere capable of the mean machine or jolly?

IMO no. The Bj hull is happy around 30 to 35. Higher speeds require a larger and wider hull. Speking of witch...It's beautiful out today...I have all the time in the world...and what did I go and do...Sold the friggin motor outa my only boat for an upgrade..UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. My kingdom for a motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For 139.....It looks pretty cool....

If I was broke as a joke I would be all over this boat.

But I'm not broke, and I'm not all over this.

I'm so broke I can't even afford this one! It's amazing how much it costs to have your house painted. Radio Shack here I come.....

lol.....I here ya. I paint house's here and there. Int/Ext. We do good work, but it's expensive. Very time consuming if the home owner wants a real good job done. Plus I gotta make money to pay for RC :-)

I was looking at this cat more. For someone with 139$, why not. Thats inline with the SW26, Villain 7.2. A "decent" boat does'nt get much cheaper.

Last edited by saleens7; 07-23-2007 at 07:21 PM.

well, there ARE exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by saleens7 View Post
    i dont know....i got my SW26 for free...:D (thanks again piranha2!)

This looks like a great entry level boat. Also it looks to have some good cheap upgrade potential. A 19 turn motor and right prop will bring low to mid 20s I bet. Hell put me down for one Steven. I would love to play around with it just to see what I can get :).

i bet you could make this a great 6-7 cell brushless boat..... use a feigao s and 6 cells just like with what i did with my hammer.........wich hit mid 30s

Yup I am sure i can. Thanks for the vote of confidence:). I am looking to build a dual outboard cat in the 24 to 28 inch range to be honest. When I pick one of these up it will be my new rescue boat. I grow tired of luggin the tug around. When these are relieced look for the old SJFE tug in the swapshop :).

that thing is sooo sweet tho...........works great

Yes its very funtional and looks great on the water. But that little cat with a couple carbon fiber kite booms afixed to the sides will be much faster to the rescue and take up way less space in the truck. I could make the riggers removable on the tug..but I am done workin on it. I will section them for shiping and include joint connectors for re assembly of course. But I really want a lighter quicker more manegable rescue craft.

understandable

I think I will be getting one of these when it comes out it could be fun to upgrade and see what I can get out of it. but that is just my $.02

Default Motor & Esc shots.

Found these today. They claim the esc is 45 amps...no word on the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SJFE; 08-01-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: friggin typos

I thaught this thread was about the 139$ 20" cat, not the BJ26 BL cat.....

With all saleens post being deleted, it's hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    Found these today. The clain the esc is 45 amps...no word on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by FE_Chris View Post
    I thaught this thread was about the 139$ 20" cat, not the BJ26 BL cat.....

With all saleens post being deleted, it's hard to tell.
    yeah, sorry bout that, i wasnt really checking what i was erasing.

i re posted the first post...its about the apache catamaran, not the BL BJ26

there is a vid of the apache cat on its page....it look pretty fast...definately faster than the SW36...probably 15(ish)mph

Fluid, I am late on this thread, and you are bang on. The problem is generally we all start with an RTR and then get disappointed with the speed and then we spend lots of bucks trying to upgrade a boat that is not capable of much higher speed. My suggestion is buy the RTR and appreciate the limitations and then buy an FE hull that is within your budget, as some FE boats are way over $2,000.00.

Doug

just a thought but is that not the "problem" all RCrs have?? we cant leave anything well enough alone. every person in this hobby I have met, and I dont just mean rc boaters, will try and figure out how to make somthing faster than it was designed to go. how else do you explain stuff like twin motor rc trucks and stuff like that. I am not sayin that I am not guilty of it also because I am. I am just sayin it seems like a character trait of people in this hobby
    Last edited by sidv13; 08-10-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast