Thread: LiPo's in SV27? Water tight?

Default LiPo's in SV27? Water tight?

I've seen a lot of talk on this site about using LiPo batteries with the SV27, but I'm skeptical as to if it's a good idea to use these with water. I've heard stories about LiPo's and water not mixing well, and I'm a bit scared to use them.

Another question I had is about making the boat water tight. I put some foam around the edges of the howl but water still leaks inside, possibly from the back... What are you guys using to make your boats water tight?

Cool

Hundreds of people run LiPos in boats every day without problems. Several years ago there were a lot of scary stories about LiPo fires, etc but those days are past.

That said, you do not want to get LiPos wet, so the boat should be well sealed. If the packs do get wet they will not explode, but they must be completely dried off right away. I have soaked several of my packs over the past few years and have had zero problems - but I strip off the shrink wrap and completely dry the cells with a hair dryer. I keep spare shrink wrap around so I can re-wrap the cells together the next day.

The ONLY way to maximize dryness inside any hull is to tape the hatch completely with good tape - vinyl tape, hockey tape and hatch tape all work great. There are other ways for water to get inside - up the driveline, leaks around screws, etc. Done right it is entirely possible to run for five minutes and get only a few drops of water inside.

Thanks a lot! So I understand that using LiPos is different than using NiMh. How can I use LiPo's with my SV27? Also I know you need a special charger for the batteries, so it'd be great if you could tell me what I need to get my boat LiPo ready!