Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Littlescreamers 63mmwater jacketed Motor

OK, Great. I have some 603. Bought it from you I believe!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

try mcmastercarr.com

I get all my locktite needs there...cheap too!

Jim,

How old is the 603? It has a very short shelf life once opened.

Ray

Well I tryed this motor today in my Insane mono and I must say that I'm a little disappointed. I ran it on 10s 2p 10,000 mah Thunder power 25c cells and a Castle HV 240 controller. The controller worked great by the way on this motor. I thought this motor would be able to swing a gas size prop. It can't. I started with a 6517 prop and then went down to 6515 prop. It wouldn't get on step with these props. (These are some of my mono props when I run the 2230 motor.) The smallest I had was an abc prop that was 6014 in size. Simular to a Octura 560. It finally got on step and I would put the boat at high 40s maybe 50 mph. I did 4 laps with the 460 prop and when I checked the motor it was hot to the touch. I think Randy was more in the ball park with the 455 prop. Maybe a 457 or 460 would work. I had the 1/4 prop stub on my boat today so I couldn't try any smaller props. I will switch out the prop shafts and give this motor one more try. I also dont like that you can't support the rear end of the motor. I thought this motor would compare somewhere between my 2215 and 2230 motors. It doesn't. My 2215 2y motor has more grunt, can swing a bigger prop, is lighter and is faster due to the higher KV. I'm sure there's a little more there with this motor but its not going to compete with a gas motor in a big gas boat. I'll check back after I run this motor some more.

Mark

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 02-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Are you running the 650kv motor Mark? Too hot to the touch doesnt sound good on that prop.

John

I assume its the 650 KV. Do they make other winds?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    I assume its the 650 KV. Do they make other winds?

Mark
    Their 800kv version is supposed to be out sometime soon. I was wondering if you might have received one of the first ones to test. Its been on my radar for a large mono build.

John

probably a year old. Bummer! I've made up a few shafts with it. Always tightly capped. Climate controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by RayR View Post
    Jim,

How old is the 603? It has a very short shelf life once opened.

Ray
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Well I tryed the motor on some smaller props and the results weren't any better. I understand that the castle doesn't run this motor very good from what I have been told so I will hold off on testing untill I can get a different controller. Maybe there is still hope for this motor.

Mark

Yes I was gong to come in here and tell everyone that the Castle Creations ESC's do not play nice with our motor. I know from the testing done that the motor will run hot and not turn the props needed to get the speed. Using a Hobby King Turnigy monster 2000 it runs great and does not get hot. The dif was when using the cc we could not get better then about 55-58 and all was hot. using the other ESC we get 65+mph and nothing gets hot. It all in the esc.

I did not want to go out and say "Do not use this esc" but it is the truth.

Scott

Ummm, before I bought the motor I PM'd you about whether my CC 180 HV would be OK and you said it would be fine.......now we get a different story??????

I assumed I would not need a different controller to get the best performance out of your motor,,,,now the price I paid doesn't seem all that much of a deal.

We will figure this out!

Scott

I talked to the R&D dept and they sent me over this.

Please give this a try and let us know how it works,

Hi again
    Well I went back to the oldest version I could (2.11) and set the motor timing at low and 8khz and it works. I don't know why but it works.the only thing unusual is it stutters at wot.Bring it back a notch on the throttle and this stops. Also on the other firmware the voltage dropped very quickly and it shut down. The temp of the ESC was 83 degrees C. Now the LVC doesn't happen at all and the temp is only 35 C.after a run. any ideas?
    thanks again
    Steve.

I have been told that if you can find version 1.54 it will run the motors the best we have ever seen. But it is not on there site anymore.

Our reply
    Advance the timing one setting above low and problem solved with the stutter and no need to back TH off a little.

DO NOT USE OUTRUNNER MODE

We have only 6 magnets in our bell and this setting is for motors with more magnets and does not like our configuration.
    Last edited by Littlescreamers; 03-03-2010 at 08:02 PM.

I'm thinking its in the timing..
    each motor runs better with different settings
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

This is our new project. 92" long and running a twin Littlescreamers Hurricane 63mm outrunner water jacketed motors.

More info to come.

From the R&D dept,

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Littlescreamers; 03-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Oh man that's SWEET!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Or how about this one???

23"

All Carbon

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Littlescreamers; 03-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Hi Guys!
    My name is Bob and I am the R&D department for Littlescreamers. I've been watching the posts here all week while waiting for my forum account to be validated. Now that I can post, let me try to help with a few things

Castle Controllers are great! Problem is they never leave their firware alone. They are constantly trying to improve which is great, but it makes it very hard to keep up with settings that work. Settings that work on version 3.14 do NOT work on later versions. So when telling us about issues please be sure you mention which version of firmware you have so I can keep my files updated and give you the best possible settings information.

Now with all that said, let's make some rooster tails!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlescreamers View Post
    Or how about this one???

33"

All Carbon
    Nice, but I think it's to narrow?

Oh no :D It RIPS!!! It uses 2 of our smaller motors and it really performs. We can't show video of it yet, but maybe by the weekend the builder will release the info The smaller boat is 23" not 33".

Quote Originally Posted by bvincent View Post
    I've been watching the posts here all week while waiting for my forum account to be validated.
    Bob welcome to the forum. I will have to check into why it took all week. We activate accounts every morning, except Wednesdays and some Sundays.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Hi Steve! I wasn't complaining eh :D Glad to be onboard!

Hi Steve! I wasn't complaining eh :D Glad to be onboard!
    I understand, but being the impatient person that I am I hate to see someone have to wait so long.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Bob, the castle boat controllers dont have any of the airplane features. You only have 1 firmware to choose from and you can only adjust your timing and low voltage cutoff and thats about it. I ran this motor on normal timing and low timing. It worked great on both. It just didn't have any of the speed I was hearing about. I dont have any other controllers to try with this motor. I am doing this testing for Jeff Michaud at insane boats. We would like to see this motor work so if you got a controller that I can borrow I will give it another try. I own several Neu 2215 and 2230 motors and know what there capable of and would like to see this motor fall in there somewere between the two. I talked to Castle as well and they said they didn't know when they would upgrade the firmware on the boat controllers. By the way I do follow the jet forums so I know what this motor is capable of.

Mark

Thanks Mark. We are getting controllers now to test with. We know that the XPS Hydro is using the Turnigy Monster 2000 and there was a HUGE difference in performance. Like I said, Castle is awesome, but their firmware is based around Large inrunner motors. We are working with another company (soon to be named ) and they are using the HV-240 water cooled esc. We will be running some stuff this weekend so I will get first hand knowledge of what's going on.

What esc was used in the video posted a couple pages back? That seemed to work pretty well? I don't have any data logged from that run, but it looked and sounded good.

Bob, I think he was using the Schulze 40-160. I would get the turnigy controller but I'm saving all my pennies to get the Schulze 40-300 for my SAW boat.
    Bob, I dont know if you remember me but you have met me at the midwinter electrics a couple of times. Troy Peterson usually hangs out in my pit and you would have seen me then. I fly F5d and F5B as well as lots of stuff inbetween. I use to do boats before airplanes and I was national high point champion back in 1998. I then started the electric only SAW event in Los Angeles which is where most of the records were made in NAMBA. I am the current record holder in T Mono and have broke numerous other records over the years. If you would like help with boat testing I would be glad to help. I live in orange County and test out at Legg lake. I know Jeff at Insane boats would like to see this motor work out as would others. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Mark
    949-525-1644

Thanks Mark! I'm using this weekend to get ready for CA Jets at the end of the month. Maybe we can hook up next weekend at the lake?

edit
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 03-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Hi Guys!
    My name is Bob and I am the R&D department for Littlescreamers. I've been watching the posts here all week while waiting for my forum account to be validated. Now that I can post, let me try to help with a few things

Castle Controllers are great! Problem is they never leave their firware alone. They are constantly trying to improve which is great, but it makes it very hard to keep up with settings that work. Settings that work on version 3.14 do NOT work on later versions. So when telling us about issues please be sure you mention which version of firmware you have so I can keep my files updated and give you the best possible settings information.

Now with all that said, let's make some rooster tails!

So the best settings for a CC Hydra 180HV with version 1.04 firmware would be??

Doby, Bob was referring to the airplane controllers. The only thing you can play with on the Hydra is the timing. I didn't see much difference between low and normal. You will have to play with it to see what works for you.

Mark

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast