• Castle Hydra 120A

1 5.88%
  • Seaking (hobbywing) 180A

12 70.59%
  • Other, see below

4 23.53%

Thread: Castle Hydra 120A vs Seaking (hobbywing) 180A

Default Castle Hydra 120A vs Seaking (hobbywing) 180A

I'm getting pretty close to having made all the decisions for upgrading the Titan 29" and the UL1 to run 6s30c2650 packs in a 6s2p configuration.

Will be using the fiegao 13xl motors and will prop them somewhere around 50-60 amps = 1100-1300 watts.

Trying to decide between the hobbywing 180A esc and the Castle 120A and I need two of them.

The hobbywing is a lot less $ and has more headroom in case I ever want to use these in something else but it does weigh more and is a 'cheap chinese' product - who I'm never thrilled with supporting, then again, the Castle stuff is probably made in china anyway so what's the diff.

So, for those of you who have used both of these, which would you choose? Would you spend the extra $100+ for the castle or....

Also, not only is the castle quite a bit more $, but it's BEC won't work on 6s, so I have to add a waterproof BEC too.

money is tight around here, no question about that, the plan already has me spending more than I'd ever planned on.
    Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 07-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    5 cars, 9 trucks, 2 scale, 1 crawler, 2 boats, 8 helis, 3 planes, 1 jet, a hydralic endloader, and that’s just the ones that are rtr or nearly so, not even counting the ones in a bucket, ugh, I got it bad.

Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Cost is nice, but it says it's not for boats. Granted I could add water cooling to it, but pretty sure I want one that if it gets wet I don't have junk. Then again, I guess I could give it a conformal coating. hmm, something to consider

Good suggestion. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 07-10-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    5 cars, 9 trucks, 2 scale, 1 crawler, 2 boats, 8 helis, 3 planes, 1 jet, a hydralic endloader, and that’s just the ones that are rtr or nearly so, not even counting the ones in a bucket, ugh, I got it bad.

If, you are going to run 6S2P...neither. You will need a high voltage ESC.

Douggie

those are sketchy tho. I know a lot have used them with mixed results. I had 2 of the HiModels go out, 1 with little use, 1 ran for a long time!
    My prop hasn't been wet in a while.

I can give you a good deal on this and will handle your need easy

its brand new

Only reason i am selling is because i need much more amps with HV
    this is a HV controller that will handle 12s

SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    If, you are going to run 6S2P...neither. You will need a high voltage ESC.

Douggie
    I think you need to figure that again Douggie. 6s2p means I'm not running them in series, I'm running them in parallel. Still 6s voltage 22.2. The mah does double, but not the voltage.

If I was running them in series, it's be 12s1p...and that's what I do in my 600e heli. Originally I wanted to do this in the boats too, but everyone convinced me that it's excessive. After doing a price workout, the cost would be nearly double to run these in series for 12s, plus motor selection gets pretty slim to get the right KV.
    The decision to stay with 6s came down to a wallet decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
    Cost is nice, but it says it's not for boats. Granted I could add water cooling to it, but pretty sure I want one that if it gets wet I don't have junk. Then again, I guess I could give it a conformal coating. hmm, something to consider

Good suggestion. Keep 'em coming.
    Hello there,
    There are a few threads on this forum on how to waterproof and water cool these ESC's. There are alot of guys, including myself, that have these and think they are great. I haven't heard anything bad with them. There's also this one... http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...200A-OPTO.html
    Government Moto:

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
    I think you need to figure that again Douggie. 6s2p means I'm not running them in series, I'm running them in parallel. Still 6s voltage 22.2. The mah does double, but not the voltage.

If I was running them in series, it's be 12s1p...and that's what I do in my 600e heli. Originally I wanted to do this in the boats too, but everyone convinced me that it's excessive. After doing a price workout, the cost would be nearly double to run these in series for 12s, plus motor selection gets pretty slim to get the right KV.
    The decision to stay with 6s came down to a wallet decision.
    Nope, you need a high voltage ESC. Neither of those contollers will survive 6S voltage and bustitup's will do the job.

Douggie

I guess if I'm really trying to pinch pennies, I ought to be looking at the Seaking 90A also. If I prop this thing the way I ought to it should be fine as well. These can be found in the $40-60 range

Nope, you need a high voltage ESC. Neither of those contollers will survive 6S voltage and bustitup's will do the job.

Douggie
    I don't understand why you are saying that, all these ESC are rated to 6s...why would I need a HV esc?

Douggie
    I've read in many posts that the Hydra 120's don't like the 6s configuration and I don't think castle will honor their warranty for it. I have a couple and I am afraid to run them on 6s myself because of all the bad experience's others have had with 6s. Not exactly cheap to experiment with.
    Government Moto:

Believe me you pushing those controllers for boat useage.

Douggie

I ran 6s on a hi-model 82 200 amp esc. I did water cool it myself. It was powering a kb-45 8xl. Ran nice and cool! only ran it a few times though. Not sure how it would be in the long run, but for that price.......

Sorry, meant hi-model 8s

The Seaking 120 amp will do just fine. I use it on 6s with a 3670-1600 spinning a x642 in a 30" hydro.

http://www.rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=1478

well, Nick and I got together on the above speedy and he had a 180A too, so I guess I've made my decision.
    Will be using a Turnigy 100A HV and a Turnigy 180A. Which one will go in which boat is anyone's guess at this point.

So I guess when Steven gets back from vaca I'll have all the junk on the way for both these ships.

They'll both run 6s2p unless of course I can come up with a suitable 12s motor...something around 600-700kv and not too big for these little boats.

Thanks to all.

This would be nice on 12s: Medusa 3660-780 $114.95
    http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors...MR036060XXXX-5