Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to 5S, need some help.

Default Upgrading to 5S, need some help.

Hello, im thinking about upgrading my stock BJ to 5S, an need some help.
    I'm thinking about ordering a Rhino 2S 3700Mah 25C and a Rhino 3S 3700Mah 25C.

- Since i'm new to the FE hobby i need some help, is there anything more i need?

- Since the Low Voltage cutoff on the standard ESC is setup to 4S this wont help me. How do normaly do the driving with 5S on a BJ safe without damaging the lipos? Wil this help me or is it no need for it?

- Also hear something about a BEC, is this something i need to buy or??

Thnx guys, your help so far have been great.

Id recommend running either an external BEC or a receiver pack, you can get a BEC here on OSE

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...cas-castle-bec

At the moment it is out of stock.

To use the external BEC you MUST cut the red wire from you speed control that connects to the receiver. You can install the BEC by soldering the wires from the BEC to the red and black wires coming from you speed control. Then all you do is plug you External BEC into the reciever and you good to go. You do not have to actually CUT the wire you can simply slip it out of the servo plug and put heat shrink over it, which will allow you to go back to using the stock setup easier. Just wanted to make that clear before you go hacking at the ESC

You can avoid all the soldering(which isnt really much) and run a receiver pack by again CUTTING the RED WIRE coming from you ESC to your receiver and getting something like this

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3170

or, an option that may be more practical and save money in the long run

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3170

Side note, I have not personally run 5s on the stock speed control but i have heard of people doing it, i would recommend definitely running some type of BEC or receiver pack though.

Hope i helped

--Chris
    Last edited by Christaphason; 07-08-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: More info

Ok. Could someone shortly and easy tell me what the point of the BEC and the Reciver pack is?

BEC = battery eliminator circuit. The ESC from the factory has one built in. It takes your supply voltage from the batteries, and limits it down to 6volts (operating voltage of receiver and servos). If you increase the supply voltage, the built in BEC might not be able to handle it, and you'll see the magic smoke (not good).

Running a receiver pack essentially takes out the magic smoke cause. But you MUST remove the red wire from the ESC receiver plug. If you don't, you will have 6volts from your receiver pack, and 6 volts from your BEC, and again, magic smoke.

Hope that helps.

Ah, that makes it alot clearer. What is the max Voltage that the Reciver and the Servo can run on. Thinking about using a small 2S lipo to power the reciver and servo, would this work? Alot cheaper over time and alot neater.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    Ah, that makes it alot clearer. What is the max Voltage that the Reciver and the Servo can run on. Thinking about using a small 2S lipo to power the reciver and servo, would this work? Alot cheaper over time and alot neater.
    2s is too much. 4.8-6volts. You want 6 because you get more torque out of the servo. It can be very clean, just get one of those holders for 4 AA batteries. 4 AA alkaline batteries will give you 6 volts. Rechargeable AA's will give you 4.8 (when using 4) because they are 1.2volts, not 1.5 like alkalines.

Ok, think i will use a 5C Nimh Reciver pack, and make room for is somewhere. That way i dont have to buy new AA's all the time. How many mah do i need for the servo and reciver. Will 2000Mah do it for 1hour of runtime? Think i read somewhere that the max was 1A so 2000mah should be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    Ok, think i will use a 5C Nimh Reciver pack, and make room for is somewhere. That way i dont have to buy new AA's all the time. How many mah do i need for the servo and reciver. Will 2000Mah do it for 1hour of runtime? Think i read somewhere that the max was 1A so 2000mah should be more than enough.
    that's plenty

only my opinion but the castle creation bec is only $23 at OSE and its tiny and should be no problem to store it away neatly and you dont have to worry about extra batteries at all

The only thing keeping me from going for that is that its out of stock. I have my salry coming in within a day or two, and then placing an order at OSE and HC. If someone could find an external BEC that will work and that is in stock i may be considering it.

yeah that was my problem too i just made an OSE order and was short of only the bec.I got mine on Ebay .Just search castle creations bec there are quite a few there

Don't get the castle creations bec eliminator if you run 5s run a bec pack and yes 2000-3000 mah is good for run time if you need space get a extension for your bec pack. Personly helps me balance my 3s2p and my 2s2p lipos. good luck

just out of curiosity why would you not use the castle creations bec, maybe you can clear this up for me and Eggy.I am running this on 2 2s packs and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    Don't get the castle creations bec eliminator if you run 5s run a bec pack and yes 2000-3000 mah is good for run time if you need space get a extension for your bec pack. Personly helps me balance my 3s2p and my 2s2p lipos. good luck
    Why not? I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to save weight and not have to worry about charging another battery pack, also what if your pack is low and you start losing control of your boat, an external BEC will eliminate those problems.

Just my Opinion

I am sorry if I am wrong but the bec eliminator I thought just changed the voltage and it won't have to do that if it is allready getting 6v I think that the bec goes up in flames because of the draw and all of the power and the extra power kills it. so if it works for you that great

The extenal BEC.... and maybe I really did not explain either(EXTERNAL), is soldered onto the red and black leads off of the speed control which steps the voltage
    from your batteries down to 6 volts and plugs into the battery port on the reciever which totally eliminates the need for a battery other than your main source of power. Battery Eliminator Circuitry

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDG357 View Post
    The extenal BEC.... and maybe I really did not explain either(EXTERNAL), is soldered onto the red and black leads off of the speed control which steps the voltage
    from your batteries down to 6 volts and plugs into the battery port on the reciever which totally eliminates the need for a battery other than your main source of power. Battery Eliminator Circuitry
    just to add to this....

and external BEC like the CC one, is similar to what's in the stock ESC, however, it can take the higher voltage and step it down to 6v. The stock ESC cannon do that with a higher voltage. So your options are running a receiver pack, or running an external BEC that can handle the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie_guy View Post
    just to add to this....

and external BEC like the CC one, is similar to what's in the stock ESC, however, it can take the higher voltage and step it down to 6v. The stock ESC cannon do that with a higher voltage. So your options are running a receiver pack, or running an external BEC that can handle the voltage.
    Thanks Kookie, I,m not the best with explaination I always Leave something out.So just make sure your bec of choice can handle the voltage you're running

Ok, found a couple on Ebay and will order one. Thnx guys. There is one thing i've noticed. On OSE it says that if you want to use another voltage than the standard 5.1V i'll need the Castle Link.

If i understand this correct Castle link is a USB programming kit that i will need. Its another 25$ making the grand total on the BEC 50$, that's a bit pricy for me. So my question is, do i realy need the Castle link or can i run it on 5.1V, what will the difference be??

IMO 5.1v will do just fine I have this bec in my SV 27 and also my buddy has the blackjack 26 running the cc bec and neither of us had any problems.We are both running the default settings-5.1v so no I would say the programmer is not necessary.

OK, will look into the whole BEC thing later. Think i will run a receiver pack untill i get some more fundings sorted out. Just spent about 400$ on props and batteries so i'm a bit short.

- How do you guys running 5S know when it's time to stop, i'm thinking about the danger of damaging the cells. I have a cell checker with a beeper warning, but dont think that is loud enough to be used inside the boat.

- Also is it the 2S or the 3S pack that will have the lowest voltage? I'm thinking that it must be the 2S, but i'm not sure.

Eggy, check out Holmes Hobbies, John will program the BEC to whatever voltage you want before he ships it. He's VERY reputable in the r/c crawler world and he can definitely hook you up. Just select 6V down near where you select the quantity of the item, it only costs $2.50 extra, making it close to $25 plus shipping, which is usually only a few bucks.
    http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=0&page=1

Also, if you're drawing from both packs at the same time, technically the 2S pack will have the lowest voltage collectively...but per cell, it should be the same as the 3S pack. Note where I said *should* as each cell discharges differently, thus the need for balancing a regular pack, but it shouldn't be a noticeable difference...just make sure both packs are fully charged when you get ready to take off and you should be good to go.

Thnx just orderd one from him.

How long runtime should i expect from a 2S+3S 3700Mah Rhino??

You'r the best guys. :D

you just have to learn and test run 5 min hard test the voltage then another 5 min also check the temps I find 10 min good then let it cool and run it again and it ends at 11.7v also I run 3s2p and 2s2p and get long runs

Ok, thnx guys.
    I'm doing 38Mph now Modified the turnfins and removed the battery holders.
    Am i wrong if i'm expecting 45Mph+ with 5S 25C and X642?

Damn this boat is starting to get expensive, this is the costs so far:

Boat + 2x 2S 5000Mah Lipo : 680$ (Damn Norwegian prices)
    2x 2S 5100Mah PQ lipos: 160$
    5S setup: 100$
    Props and more: 150$

Total cost: about 1100$

It is never enough!!!
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

I think you should I do on 5s be warned high timing on 5s stock esc and x642 might be bad good luck I would try a x442 or a x640 first

- How should i hook up the BEC?
    - Should i take power from both the battery packs or just from one?

Planning on running 4S for fun and 5S for speed.

Mine are hooked directly to the esc red on red black on black.
    I have mine as close to the esc as I could to allow as much flexibility as possible to the end of the battery leads without dragging the BEC wires around with the batteries so you may want to look for the best way to get that in there for your set-up to be able to mount the BEC and have it stay in the best place, out of the way of everything else. Here is a pic of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast