Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proboat Widowmaker first impressions

I to bought this boat. On the frist time out it bounced hard and the top fell off.
    It sank before iI got to it . Had to buy a new one from H,H. Then the ESC died
    and I sent the boat back to H,H due to the local hobbieshope where I bought it from would not do anything with it .Still waitting for it come back, been about 2 weeks. Looking for a new prop to.
    Bob Big

Sorry to hear that! The #1 rule of fast electric boats is to tape them up using hockey tape (as sold by OSE). My Widow has spent plenty of time flipped over and I have never had a drop of water inside the boat.

As for the purposing, adjust the strut to bring the prop "way" up. See photo on previous page. It looks extreme, but I run dead smooth that way.

As for the prop, I have had great luck with the Octura Y535/3 blade and it fits right on the standard prop shaft. My Widow is off plane in seconds and runs "cool" at full speed for 4 minutes.

Hope this helps, Ira

Thanks I have tape and used it on the 2nd cover. Still waiting for H,H to look at it
    Bob Big

Hello Folks, I'm new here, but I,ve been running fast electric for about 10 years. I have to say I liked the WM so much that after trying all my tricks, I stripped all the hardware and electronics for use in a good hull and threw away that obnoxious waste of plastic and fiberglass! That being said, glad to hear that at least some of you are having fun with it. I think I,ll just go back to delta force hulls. LOL.

Shoulda posted it for sale here instead of throwing it away I woulda picked it up. There are 2 guys at our lake with them now and both are running really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by iratner View Post
    Sorry to hear that! The #1 rule of fast electric boats is to tape them up using hockey tape (as sold by OSE). My Widow has spent plenty of time flipped over and I have never had a drop of water inside the boat.

As for the purposing, adjust the strut to bring the prop "way" up. See photo on previous page. It looks extreme, but I run dead smooth that way.

As for the prop, I have had great luck with the Octura Y535/3 blade and it fits right on the standard prop shaft. My Widow is off plane in seconds and runs "cool" at full speed for 4 minutes.

Hope this helps, Ira
    Were did you get the prop from . I the got boat back from Horrizion hobby after they
    had it a month for a bad esc .
    Bob Big

Sorry, its actually called a M435 3 blade and you get one from Fun RC Boats
    http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...oductid=OCM435

Ira

They did a writeup of this boat in the latest RC Car Modeler magazine... (or whatever the mag is that we get now instead of RC Boat Modeler...)... Haven't read it yet...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Why do we not get RC Boat mag any more?

Well I ran the WW on satturday ran ok but it cavates like crazy then hooks up runs like mad. when I was running it I noiticed that there was no water coming out of the water outlet. Found that the water cooling jacket was pluged with rust.
    It took a little bit of compress air of a coumputer dusting can to clear it out but it works now. I think you should blow it out after run.
    Bob Big

Any dimension on the motor yet?
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bighinatti View Post
    Well I ran the WW on satturday ran ok but it cavates like crazy then hooks up runs like mad. when I was running it I noiticed that there was no water coming out of the water outlet. Found that the water cooling jacket was pluged with rust.
    It took a little bit of compress air of a coumputer dusting can to clear it out but it works now. I think you should blow it out after run.
    Bob Big
    Bob,

I was having similar problems with cavitation... Raise the prop / strut up a little further which may help, the final solution for me was moving the the GrimRacer 40x53 prop which has been working well both bottom end and top. (Requires an adapter from 1/8 to 3/16 shaft)

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Why do we not get RC Boat mag any more?
    Vague, but for what it's worth this month's RC Car Action said that the publication is available online only. However their website says "coming soon". So I expect sometime in October and going forward there will be unique content at rcboatmodeler.com instead of just a shadow copy of RC Car Action dot com.

Haha, yep that's just like my widowmaker. It bounces across the water like it's got a bad case of ADHD and then it flips over. The octura 3 blade is by far the best prop I've tried. Helps this boat out a lot, in a few ways... I thought about cutting the wood out of the battery location and building a 7 cel pack that fits the shape of the hull to get a lower CG. Once I had a nice full tilt run going through some 3 or 4" chop and it totally submarined and was gone for about 4 or 5 seconds. I was a little freaked until it popped back up. Now I might mod it into my rescue barge for the titan 33/40....?????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12