Thread: ARC Motors?

Default ARC Motors?

http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/products/ARC-36mm.htm

Has anyone tried these motors? They are 4 pole. Price is good.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I have seen those motors but have yet to hear anything about it... listening closely to the thread.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

I've been watching them for months now, I use to order esc's from them when I first started off, Good service, great guy, him and his wife... RCgroups have alot of feedback on the motors, some of them are pulling over 2800 watts.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

KV seems low for certain applications. I know with the UL1 uses the Ammo, but many other folks have been using the Ammo motors for years.

Why not use an Ammo motor with higher efficiency, affordable, and have been proven reliable? I don't want to take the thread off topic, but was just curious of the comparison. Plus, I've never heard of one failing. Just a thought.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I saw those a couple of months ago. The one thing I noticed was that the larger ones were not recommended for "pusher use" in EDF applications. My thought was the back plate might fall out.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

These are also 4 pole motors...
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    KV seems low for certain applications. I know with the UL1 uses the Ammo, but many other folks have been using the Ammo motors for years.

Why not use an Ammo motor with higher efficiency, affordable, and have been proven reliable? I don't want to take the thread off topic, but was just curious of the comparison. Plus, I've never heard of one failing. Just a thought.
    I think that Ammo motor efficency is over rated, Feigao have a much stronger magnet. Ammo's just use more wire in their cans.

At least they are warning you about 'pusher'. That's why we use thrust bearings with all of our motors in our applications.

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    I saw those a couple of months ago. The one thing I noticed was that the larger ones were not recommended for "pusher use" in EDF applications. My thought was the back plate might fall out.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Just always looking at alternatives. You never know, maybe the ARC motors might be better than the AMMO and maybe not. That's the reason for this thread.

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    I think that Ammo motor efficency is over rated, Feigao have a much stronger magnet. Ammo's just use more wire in their cans.
    I think you guys are trying to "split hairs"...

Jeeez, I didn't want to start a 'dustup'. Haha. I just like looking at what's out there to see if I'm missing something.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    These are also 4 pole motors...

Yes, and we will see how they work in a twin cat. I bought a pair of 36 55 -1T, they look like Neu 1409's with cooling holes.

Ray, keep us posted please...

Nice looking motors. They could be very close to another well known motor we buy.

The 36-55-1.5 look to be good candidates for a 4S twin setup on the Skunk works cat.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I would think a higher KV would get you there with smaller props, thats why I went for the 1 turn units. They are more efficient as well. It's just for giggles at the end of the race day or in between heats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Nice looking motors. They could be very close to another well known motor we buy.

They look really nice Jeff, nice thick windings, rotor looks good too, no crap here.

Well iF these are from arcsystems in NY then I bet they are very well made. If China then they could still be ok.

There are a few forums with some info but a coulle said they smoked them.

These motors from what I've read a great, I used to order those himodel 200a looking esc's from Dave @lightflightrc, who sells the are motors. If you read his threads on rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=36+mm+arc for the ARC 36mm, some of these motors are pulling 2800 watts plus on 6s to 9s
    Last edited by RCprince; 10-17-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Look at this one guys test results from the Arc 36x55 2.5 1100kv .....2900+ watts @ 66+ amps on 12s, keep in mind these are ductfan setups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1

I have a 36-75-1 Arc motor in my hotr 32. Ran it today on 5s with a x445 in choppy water and it performed really well. I can compare it with my Feigao 12XL and the Arc pushes more watts and runs alot cooler.

The pinned backplate is not a problem, its only an issue with planes where the prop puts direct pressure on the motor. In boats the drive hardware (stinger or strut) takes the pressure which is not transfered to the motor.

I`m planning on 2 x 36-65-1 motors for my next project, a hotr 32 cat. I`ll let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by t0ny1ee View Post
    I have a 36-75-1 Arc motor in my hotr 32. Ran it today on 5s with a x445 in choppy water and it performed really well. I can compare it with my Feigao 12XL and the Arc pushes more watts and runs alot cooler.

The pinned backplate is not a problem, its only an issue with planes where the prop puts direct pressure on the motor. In boats the drive hardware (stinger or strut) takes the pressure which is not transfered to the motor.

I`m planning on 2 x 36-65-1 motors for my next project, a hotr 32 cat. I`ll let you know how I get on.
    I don't know what driveline you are using but if it's an Octura or Hughey cable, you cannot put thrust onto the strut, otherwise the cable will bind up and snap.

All you need is a 5mm thrust bearing between the coupler and the motor face and leave a 1/16" gap (at the strut!) for cable shrink.

I'm considering an ARC 36-65-1 (2080KV) motor for my Whip20. Anyone try one of these in a 30" hydro?

Did you run these motors yet? What is the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yes, and we will see how they work in a twin cat. I bought a pair of 36 55 -1T, they look like Neu 1409's with cooling holes.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sorry Jim, this project won't be ready until spring or maybe sooner. If sooner I'll find soft water somewhere to test. Getting cold now.

I'm a slow poke builder...
    Nortavlag Bulc

He really is................................................ ...........

Hey, I'm pickey! lol...

So where is that beautiful woman by your side?
    Nortavlag Bulc

It's a good thing you don't bring her to the races, you would win every race you entered!!

Seriously, you two look great together.

No one can believe you real age either John, you take good care of yourself obviously.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Would you believe she's 3 years older than me...............................