Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest UL-1 Video

The UL-1 is a good boat to get into sport hydro racing with. When you start pushing it into the mid-50s you will find yourself chasing your tail trying to make it stick to the water.
    If top end speed is what you're after why not buy a rigger kit?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post

The UL-1 is a good boat to get into sport hydro racing with. When you start pushing it into the mid-50s you will find yourself chasing your tail trying to make it stick to the water.
    If top end speed is what you're after why not buy a rigger kit?
    My Ul-1 in trim very close to the 60's is very stable. I have blew over one time going against a gust of wind...
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

i did 53.1 mph stock boat on 40/52-3 and 5s 20c batts, a 2 and a 3. i cant get the batteries back far enough for it to even get close to blowing over.

Was that 53.1 in race trim or was it a SAW run. Did it have the turn fin on? I tried mine with a straight turn fin and couldn't keep it from blowing over.

Race trim, full fins

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    i did 53.1 mph stock boat on 40/52-3 and 5s 20c batts, a 2 and a 3. i cant get the batteries back far enough for it to even get close to blowing over.

I'm going to order some good 3s packs to go with my 2s 30c packs and give 5s a whirl!

just be smart about it, keep it short and test temps. i added 2 1000uf caps to my esc and it now runs nice and cool.

great, and it sounds like adding caps really helps..
    I do have a spare 200A esc I could try out?
    hmm 6s maybe

now that would be fun

wonder how the stock motor would run with 6s?

The guys i go with to the lake have run 6s in theres and it runs real strong. Havent blowed it up yet!!!!!!

I'm going back to the lake tomorrow with my 5s go with a CF40 and see what happens..

today was not a good day for my BEC and reciever..

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    today was not a good day for my BEC and reciever..
    I'm curious what happened to your BEC & Rx. I've had 2 Tactic Rx's fail; one caught fire & one sizzled/quit; both with a CC BEC set to 5.2 volts. May have gotten slightly damp. What happened to yours ?
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I'm curious what happened to your BEC & Rx. I've had 2 Tactic Rx's fail; one caught fire & one sizzled/quit; both with a CC BEC set to 5.2 volts. May have gotten slightly damp. What happened to yours ?
    What I thought was a 6s BEC was actualy a 2s-3s BEC..
    on 4s is was ok but when I put 5s to it, the BEC let the magic smoke out and hurt the rx..

I was able to run my UL-1 for about 2min and the esc temp was 109* and the motor was 120*, so not so bad on temps

Brian used top-of-the-line battery packs and his own tweaked props, other than that it was out-of-the-box stock. The mirrors and plastic headers were removed and an air dam made from Hockey tape under the deck to keep it on the water at those speeds. The NAMBA and IMPBA timers are calibrated often to ensure accuracy, possibly much better than using a GPS and definitely better than a radar gun.
    To me Legg Lake doesn't seem to be the place to set records as it appears that there isn't enough room to get a boat up to speed before hitting the first set of timers. Could Team JAG's hydro have hit higher speeds like 160? It's possible had they had the room to get it up to speed first. Look at any videos of their passes and you can see that they're still gaining speed thoughout their runs.
    Member, Southwest Michigan Model Boat Club.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Here it is...MODIFIED Octura 2047, but be careful or you will pop a cap. It would be good idea to add extra capacitors before using large props (larger than 40mm).
    How do you add extra caps?Do you solder them in same place as the stock ones?And the esc is sealed.I cant see how a person would add caps if theres no access to the board.Please explain.Thanks.

Cool

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Wow.Thats awesome.Thanks.Now I see how to do it.But what the benefit of adding extra caps?When does it become nessesary?

Default My ul-1 will pull 51mph out of the box!!!

Hey,,I am totally new to the boats,,,just got my UL-1 Superior about 5 weeks ago,,i have had it in the water 4 times,,the first time i took it out,,i had never driven a rc boat ever,,i read in my manual not to mid throttle or take it easy just putting around,,si i dropped her in and just lit the fuse so to speak,,to be honest,,it felt like i had been running this boat for years,,lol,,now i raised the prop just a hair and it is still on the stock plastic prop,,i dont know exactlly how accurate my Bushnell radar hand held gun is,,i got my wife to video the second time i took her out and she can do the camera and radar at once on a floating dock,,but the 3rd time i took her out,,i did radar gun the boat( a friend did the radar) it registered 53mph on 1rst pass and 51mph on the 2nd pass and then just stayed around 48mph till i could tell my lipo's were giving up,,,I mainly do very high speed radar passes with on-road,,i have been using my Bushnell gun to radar all my top speed rides and have compared to another bushnell and we got the same reading,,i also had a local police officer that happend by hile we were making speed passes and he was in shock to see a 1/10 scale cars blasting 100mph+++ in a relativly short run,,but he radar tested and we showed 1mph differece between his certified radar gun and my Bushnell radar gun,,
    my local hobbyshop dealer says i am pushing my esc to hard(stock UL-1) with the lipo's i use,,but Auqacraft said I was ok,,but i only get about 3 minutes of solid top end running time,,and 4 to 4 1/2 minutes total run time before i hit the studder on the esc,,but no heat issues,,Aquacraft sent me a new in the pack esc to the local hobbyshop because he said it should get better run tome,,but i am just keeping it for extra till i need it,,lol,,,I run 2 2's thunderpower pro race 30c/60c burst lipo's and they are only 3900mah with deans connectors,,

SO I guess my whole point is,,is my Bushnell radar gun not as good as a actually on-board GPS,,is there much room for error????I havent posted it on you tube running,,but my wife put it onmy facebook,,,i run very fast on-roads for top speed straight runs,,so i kinda know reasonably if something is moving about the right speed it is showing on radar,,
    But I am hooked and selling alot of my landbased cars/trucks and trading them for boats,,i am addicted,,something new for a change,,lol,,so now i have 2 UL-1/s and a supervee 27 and 5 nitro hydro's,,lol an wanting a room full,,the boats are just sick fun and they felt so natural from the start,,i have bought a castle hydra 120hv esc/castle 1515 1y motor for one of my UL-1's,,but havent tried it out yet,,got to get a bec it says to run the esc,,but cant wait to put 2 3's lipo in her and see what is going to happen,,hoping for some 60mph+ speeds,,but all new to me and nobody around here runs the boats that i know ,,so i am again learning it all on my own as i go,,lol,,but it pays off to learn for your self sometimes,,,
    But any advice will be apprciated,,i love to see what i can make all my rc cars.trucks and boats nax out at,,my fastest brushless has just touched under 130mph,,so i am a speed addict,,lol,,,love the rush of that wicked scream of a brushless,,lol thx

Stock prop with 3900mah batteries seams a little hard for me to believe those speeds...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Default Does water affect a radar gun????

Hey,,I know your thinking this guy is full of it,,But thats is what my radar gun registered on the passes i ran,,,that was kinda a question to this tread was too see if anyone could verify that a Bushnell radar gun would not be acurate on the water versus the pavement???
    I have had a local police officer that come to the parking lot where we do high speed on road passes with my on-road cars and he radared a couple of cars,,he registered just 1 mph difference between his certified radar gun to my bushnell radar gun,,,

i had 2 opinions locally on water radar readings,,one guy said the way a radar gun works should work on water and another fellow said he thinks that the way the way water cups on the surface kinda like a sufuce of a golf ball affect and may not read acurate due to frative quality of water since it is not dense like a hard suface,,,but the other guy that says it is correct because the radar gun is only going to bounce back off the boat itself which i have agree with that myself!!!!

i had him focous the radar on a area that i was actually blowing right by us on the dock,,we were getting rooster sprayed is how close i was passing by the dock,,boat about 3 ft away,,but as far as my UL-1,,this one has only had the prop raised because boat tended to try to nose dive upon launch,,my lipo pack are pretty new lipo's and the thunder power lipos i use the pro race seiries serve me very well in my top speed touring cars,,but i mostty own 40c/80 burst and new 50c/100c burst lipo's for my top speed cars,,they are very hot lipos and pack a serious punch,,,thx for any info ..Bobby

On the lake that I run on there's several Nitro & Gas racers that use a radar gun and they'll occasionally hit my boats with the gun. I've never been satisfied with their readings although I have no empirical data to back up my impressions. As far as the Bushnell readings on the UL-1 with the stock prop, I think that you're pretty close to the truth given the quality of your packs which I'm finding out make a huge difference - I'm discovering with data logging that the HK packs work nicely but drop down quick but hold their voltage after the drop. The better packs won't drop nearly as much and I think your results are likely to be a result of this. My UL-1 did 49.9 on the Garmin with a 40/57/3 and some budget packs, if that means anything.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

HEY PROPPER CHOPPER,,I appreciate you kinda agreeing with me on the speed might be in the ballpark,,,I just jumped into the boats recently and would be at the local lake right now if it wasnt raining,,,i have bought 2 UL-1 brand new,a supervee 27 and so far 4 auquacraft Nitro boats and one pro boat nitro all hydro style Miss boats,,and have 2 more ladies on the way i just bought this week,, I had no idea that the boats were so much fun,,i have been running nitro for about 17 years and brushless set ups for just over 2 years now,,,I found that using the the Thunderpower pro race series with the higher constant /burst rates really got all my top end speed cars really moving and allowed me to step into the triple digits alot faster,,,i have been selling and trading off all my nitro trcks and cars to buy the boats i have so far since buying my 1rst UL-1 superior,,now i am starting to part with a few of my on-road brushless custom and a couple top speed cars i have duplicates of or have just outgrown so to speak to hop up my brushless systems for my boats9i have bought a castle 120 Hydra120hv esc/castle neu 1515 1y brushless motor for one of my UL-1 superiors,,but i assume by reading up on the esc,,i must use a BEC for the esc,,,i havent had to use one in any of my top speed on-road as of yet,,so i havent figured out how it works,,a couple guys said you can smoke your recievers with a bec,,i hooked everything up without the bec and everything works,on the bench test,,but i am afraid to try to run it in the water till i figure out if i need the bec for sure,,,it gets expensive quick when you start into another area of rc hobby and start upgrading right off the bat,,but i am a pure speed arenaline junkie,,i can faintly remember when 70 and 80mph were mindblowing speeds for my cars,,now if i cant get at least a 100mph or faster pass i am just let down,,lol,,but these boats are a entirely different realm of madness i can tell,,dont think i will see 100mph right away or in the near future,,lol,, im setting sites at 70mph for now,,lol,,the UL-1 was a blast 1 few passes,,but you always want more and it never ends,,any suggestions on what a nice set up for a top speed pass boat(would like to build a hydro style one just because the hydro look sick raping the water,,some guys are saying i better use a Cat style hull????
    but if you can share,,you will have made a new best friend!!!!!I am 43,,but i love the rc world,,and they are just beating the market to death with new stuff everyday now,,,but its getting expensive to build something without a well thought out plan,,
    Now i catch myself watching real powerboat races at 2 and 3 in the morning on the speed channel,,lol,,dont know what i think i am going to pick up from that,,lol,,i have tore youtube up and seen a 130mph brushless boat make 2 passes and it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what it will take to build one even close to that,,,that was justa sick fast boat!!!! I think for a second or two,,the lake level dopped and inche watching the guy make that pass,,it was like he was moses parting the sea..lol...want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might have to just keep a couple cars and try to go see some rc boat racing,,,locally there is nothing but dirt tracks over here in the Augusta GA area,,so i do my own thing,,just build top speed rides,,local hobbyshop owner says he cant help me with the boats like he couldnt help me on what to start with top speed brushless cars,,he caters to the dirt guys,,but is a good guy,,but he just supplies the demand for this area,,cant hold that against him,,but appreciate a little validation on the UL-1 Passes i registered,,i have a youtube compatble cancorder and have shot one video,,wife was shooting,,so she isnt a great help with radar and camera at the same time,,but i am trying to make a set up to get video/and i guess i will buy a gps system to put in my boats so i can verify my boats speed on video,,locals said they didnt believe i had 120mph++ car,,but i shut that book real fast,,about 20 guys come out to watch one weekend and i made a best pass of 129mph,,,so i think the Augusta locals all know me,,they come up to me,your that long haired guy with the crazy fast cars,,so i guess that is my rep around here,,lol.. thx again,,prop chop!!!!Bobby (aka)2FAST4U2008 WILL BE MY VIDEO POST WHEN I GET MY YOU TUBE VIDS UP,,WIFE IS GOOD FOR COMPUTER APPS,,LOL THX AGAIN
    Last edited by Silverdragon; 05-30-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spell check

Welcome aboard Silverdragon ! We got lots to talk about but I'm packin' up & headin' for the lake right now so later on the chat. To wet [pun intended] your appetite - check out this vid of my Vegas [which BTW runs a 1515 1Y]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

Tony
    SoCal Fast Electrics

Hey Tony,,,that is a sick lady that you have put together,,that is what I am looking for,,i have a few nitro's that i was planning on trying a conversion on,,so i have the right motor,,just need a 240hv esc,,lol there is a local guy around here that raced the east coast for a few years,,so i hope to get with him and prob his mind for ways to improve on my boat mods,,i watched a few vids tou have,,all are very nice built boats,,,the VS-1 has been a boat i have been considering also,,wish we didnt have the rain going on here,,i would be at the lake myself,,but hoping for tomarrow for a good day to run,,,,it has been a pleasure meeting you,,video made me feel better,you and your group seem like great guys and aint so stuck up to invite a newcomer to this particular hobby,,,i knew the 240 esc instead would have been a better choice when i bought the 120 esc..but iwas just wanting to improve on the UL-1 superior stock set up,,no boat raceing around here anymore,,so when i do go to local lake,,its hard to run without getting flocked by people watching,,but it is a great way to meet people,,I have met alot of great people thru couple of sites and made some solid friends even though we dont live nowhere near each other,,we watch out for each other when someone is looking for certain items in the hobby,,we trade and get things for each other ,so it has worked out well for all of us so far,,But again,,pleasure to meet you and chat with you,,have fun out there today,,,unfortunately mother nature has brought me too much water this week,,if it keeps up i will be able to get some shots up and down my street with a couple of boats,,lol,,thx again,,going to check out some more of your vids and other vids you are linked too,,catch you later,,Bobby

On the lake that I run on there's several Nitro & Gas racers that use a radar gun and they'll occasionally hit my boats with the gun. I've never been satisfied with their readings although I have no empirical data to back up my impressions. As far as the Bushnell readings on the UL-1 with the stock prop, I think that you're pretty close to the truth given the quality of your packs which I'm finding out make a huge difference - I'm discovering with data logging that the HK packs work nicely but drop down quick but hold their voltage after the drop. The better packs won't drop nearly as much and I think your results are likely to be a result of this. My UL-1 did 49.9 on the Garmin with a 40/57/3 and some budget packs, if that means anything.
    Tony, the reson I think the gun or reading is off, is because he is only running 3900Mah packs and not 5000Mah packs like most of us run..
    and his stock prop will flex at speed
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Welcome aboard Silverdragon ! We got lots to talk about but I'm packin' up & headin' for the lake right now so later on the chat. To wet [pun intended] your appetite - check out this vid of my Vegas [which BTW runs a 1515 1Y]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

Tony
    SoCal Fast Electrics
    Tony, I was reading through your comments on that page and it looks like you like the MV over the UL-1
    great speeds on that sucker!
    I have a MV and thought about going FE with it, but the big wing on it, I keep thinking "what if I flip it.."

Hey Brushless,,I have questioned the radar gun at times myself,,i am only running my UL-1 stock on 3900mah lipo's..like i mentioned earlier in my post,,i run the boat right by us to get as good of reading as possible,,but my 3900mah 30c/60c burst lipo's still pack a good punch,,my run timne is limited to 3 solid minutes roughly,,but on the 1rst couple passes the boat is screaming ,,,now i have 2 40c/80c burst lipos 3's 4800mah 3's lipos i plan to try with the castle hydra 120amp esc,castle 1515 1y motor and i have a brass polished and sharpend,balanced pro that i am going to use for the test runs,,just trying to figure out if the bec is going to work or burn my reciever,,as i am used to running very fast top end speed on-road where i am not using a bec,,,i have read up on the bec's and i have a castle bec,,but i get alot of comments that it may cook my reciever,,so i am at a loss there,,I am like a newborn coming into the brushless boats and still in diapers,,lol,,,but i made the 52mph pass and the 51mph pas back to back an d them she droped to 48mph,,so i asume my lipo's punch really well for about 50 seconds to 1 solid minute before they got loaded,,the esc.motor asnt hot,,but the lipos after 3 1/2 minutes were really hot and they took 3300 mah on my charger,,,which my cars will run for a good while and only take a mild recharge to top them back off,,but that is just straight line passes for vey short blast ,,,but iam researching and larning all i can before i just throw her in the water and just go for broke not knowing if i am going to fry something,,,i also have a single 5000mah 50c/100c burst lipo i am considering to try to use that i bought recently but i hate to burn my esc,,,,but i am loooking into getting a gps,,i have bought a nice camera to video my passes and 2 tripods,,one for radar gun and one for the camera mainly for my on-road passes,,but i am sure once i get the bec.lipo choice worked out and get the gps,,that will eliminate some guessing,,,i am kinda on my own aroun here in my area..so it is kinda messed up jumping into the boats like i have and nobody including my local hobbyshop has a clue on what to recommend,,,,i talked to castle creations because when i first got my boats,,i have mamba max motors for back upps and ask them if i could use the motors in the boats,,the guy said sure you can,,,but 2 days later a fellow told me no way,,i will blow the motors apart,,so i cant get straight answeres,,i bought my esc/neu motor just from watching youtube vids of what guys were using to get a start above stock,,so there is where i am with the boats,,kinda sad when castle tells you something and you find out they told you something stupid,,but its not there money,,so burn it up,,they will sell you plenty more,,lol,,but i will figure it out little by little,,run the stock UL-1 and nitro's till i am sure for now,,i can take any critisism since i am new and just dont know,,i appreciate it actually,,rather here that is not going to work than fry it,,thx for any good steps to help me get one of thse boats moving..just looking for maybe some 70mphs for now,,so that is my goal,,,maybe not with my UL-1 project,,but i am buying boats as i go,,and buying what i think will work till i know what works,,,a VS-1 was going to be the next hull i bought,,just to try a tunnel hull out,,thx again,,Bobby

I run 2s 5000mah 30c packs and I am going to order 4s 4000mah 20c packs in parallel
    5000mah 20c if they will fit

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Tony, I was reading through your comments on that page and it looks like you like the MV over the UL-1
    great speeds on that sucker!
    I have a MV and thought about going FE with it, but the big wing on it, I keep thinking "what if I flip it.."
    Todd, I love the looks of the wing ( Yeah, I'm a sucker for Bling )
    Instead of using the stock bolts, I use wooden toothpicks as a "breakaway" mounting deal. For record runs ( the MV is the current NAMBA P-Sport Hydro 2-Lap record holder) I take the wing off for less wind resistance.
    BTW, now that I got your attention, I ran the Titan yesterday with the LSO setup
    [BJ motor, X442 detounged & hub cut, but no fan on the motor]. After testing out my VS-1/Ul-1 powered tunnel with a very,very tricked H-5 prop I had Mark Sholund make for me for OPC racing, I put the prop on the T29 with that prop. Holy kiddidill ! Slight cav on startup but fully airs out and I swear it was closing in on very high forties if not fifty ! With that prop on your T29/Medusa you'd need an airplane pilots licence !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast