Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest UL-1 Video

Default Fastest UL-1 Video

?- Whats the fastest speeds the Ul-1 has seen, any videos from members..??

I keep hearing upper 50's....

But I havnt seen one GPS over 51mph in a video...

I guess Im not looking hard enough.. please post a vid link of a UL-1 over 52mph please!!!

LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

This is not me but I had saved the video on my computer. Listen at the end it was a 59mph pass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzExyBl_nag

That was Brian Buaas testing the UL before the public release last years SAW at Legg Lake... from what I understand he got 63-64mph after tempering with props and air dam... the rest was stock.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    That was Brian Buaas testing the UL before the public release last years SAW at Legg Lake... from what I understand he got 63-64mph after tempering with props and air dam... the rest was stock.
    Nah none of that crap, Im talking about straight out of the box with prop swap people claim 50mph...

It seems like Iv heard 49.0 from a prop swap, strut adj. and really powerful 30c lipos..

I wanna see it...
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Nah none of that crap, Im talking about straight out of the box with prop swap people claim 50mph...

It seems like Iv heard 49.0 from a prop swap, strut adj. and really powerful 30c lipos..

None of that crap... I wanna see it...
    Crap??? I wanna see it???

Why the absolute need?

What? you don't believe the stills???

Or, is there something else here???

I joined this forum to share information. If you really don't believe, then move on...

Nate is an idiot.....................couldn't help it. Just kidding

Mine also did 50.2 mph using 25c G3 lipos and GR L40 x 57/3 prop

Best i got is a 48.1 with a M440. I have bigger props to try just working on getting good run times and not so much heat. Maybe tomorrow if i get out i will bring a video camera and put some bigger props for some speed runs.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Nate is an idiot.....................couldn't help it. Just kidding

Mine also did 50.2 mph using 25c G3 lipos and GR L40 x 57/3 prop

Detox Video...???
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post
    Crap??? I wanna see it???

Why the absolute need?

What? you don't believe the stills???

Or, is there something else here???

I joined this forum to share information. If you really don't believe, then move on...
    Nope thats not how I role man I wanna see one on the GPS above 50's.. Sorry you don't like that man...
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Nate, you believe GPS but don't believe the timing lights? Seems arse about face to me.

Nate, what speed did you get on your moded UL-1?
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    Nate, what speed did you get on your moded UL-1?
    You will see when I post a video, Im waiting for my GPS so Im sure of the speeds, above 55 Im almost sure.

Hey could be 25mph who knows..

Im just giving a hard time
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

I wanna see it...
    Nate, it was JUST A PROP SWAP... I was there when he placed the air dam, crossed the lights and ran 63mph.
    The clip posted is just a regular outta the box UL+prop.
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 06-21-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Nate, the clip you have posted IS JUST A PROP SWAP... I was there when he placed the air dam, crossed the lights and ran 63mph.
    The clip you posted is just a regular outta the box UL+prop.
    Clip I posted, Were?...I havn't posted a video lol...

Hmm, well, Thats one fast UL-1 Vid that Alvin Posted.
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Thats what he meant. Brian pulled that one from a box and swapped props. Also you claim your to do over 55? that is screammmminng. I cant wait to see that video. You may end up with a plank out infront holding your lipo's to keep the thing on the water!HA!

Clip I posted, Were?...I havn't posted a video lol...

Hmm, well, Thats one fast UL-1 Vid that Alvin Posted.
    Post corrected... my bad...

What are you guys doing to be able to produce upper 45+ mph passes? I've got a scratch built twin-wing Circus Circus boat (painted as the American Spirit) with a UL-1 motor/esc and have only pulled off 44.2 mph passes with an X645 prop (25C MaxAmps batteries). Tried the M440 next and only got 42 mph. What prop was Brian using when he hit 63-64 mph? Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here it is...MODIFIED Octura 2047, but be careful or you will pop a cap. It would be good idea to add extra capacitors before using large props (larger than 40mm).
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Hey guys, I finally got my hands on a computer.

The UL-1 really suprised me. I put an M445 on it for it's first pass, I flew it off and tumbled through the traps at 45mph. So I had a rough baseline. Next pass was with an M645 and 3/16" deeper on the strut, 52mph with a good ride attitude but still too light on the sponsons. 3rd pass was with a modified 2047 and a 1/2" deep tape air dam in the tunnel, 59mph pedaling it through the lights. Final pass was the same prop and air dam but 3/32" deeper on the strut, 65.7mph with a high 64mph return run. Temps on the final 2 passes were: motor 114F, ESC 126F, battery 109F (it had cooled down).

Stock motor/esc/hull. I didn't even touch the sponson bottoms. Total mods from out of the box: remove turn fin and vertical fins, tape air dam, strut adjustment and a fairly trick octura 2047. I did run my Futaba FASST 2.4G radio.

Then I put the turnfin back on with a 38x55 grimracer prop and ran 41mph for 8 minutes in rough water. I LIKE IT!!!

After the SAW passes
    Last edited by detox; 06-21-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Glass smooth water with slight wind ripple on surface is the trick for fast speeds. If water is too choppy prop and hull will jump out of water slowing UL-1 down. Deep strut setting helps also (1 1/8" -1 1/4" worked for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
    Thats what he meant. Brian pulled that one from a box and swapped props. Also you claim your to do over 55? that is screammmminng. I cant wait to see that video. You may end up with a plank out infront holding your lipo's to keep the thing on the water!HA!
    Yea lol. I really wanted to wait until my GPS arrived so I could find out... What if it was 60's lol wow!

Nah Im exspecting 52-55mph...Im almost sure...could be wrong, but Im hoping, cause she's screaming.

Iv done all my passes so far on an m445.. Id like to swap over to an x442 with 6s2p.

Then Id most likely:

A: Need Air brakes
    B: Blow over before 65mph
    C:It blows up in flames.

Haha.

I need and x445.. S&B Got one anybody???
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Glass smooth water with slight wind ripple on surface is the trick for fast speeds. If water is too choppy prop and hull will jump out of water slowing UL-1 down. Deep strut setting helps also (1 1/8" -1 1/4" worked for me)
    Hey detox, would you mind posting the pictures of you UL-1 with the Neu setup.. isnt you run high 50's???....
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Quote Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
    This is not me but I had saved the video on my computer. Listen at the end it was a 59mph pass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzExyBl_nag
    That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me out here ] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but develops all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.
    Whatever !
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me here ] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but causes all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.
    Whatever !
    So the 59mph pass was straight from the box with a diffrent prop... What prop was this?...

59mph for a RTR boat is great...

LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

So the 59mph pass was straight from the box with a diffrent prop... What prop was this?...

59mph for a RTR boat is great...

I really don't recall, but I think Brian disclosed this somewhere in a post. It's really a moot issue; once Brian "tunes" a prop, It doesn't resemble anything us mere mortals can get our hands on, just so you know. As a matter of fact, I showed up at the NAMBA time trials yesterday ready to set the P-OPC tunnel record with my rather fast running VS-1/UL-1 tunnel, and there was Mr. Buass grinning at with me with his well prepared fleet. With essentially the same setup [other than prop], Brian was a good 6 mph faster than my VS-1, which unexpectedly developed all kinds of outdrive issues culminating in a terminal servo malfunction.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I really don't recall, but I think Brian disclosed this somewhere in a post. It's really a moot issue; once Brian "tunes" a prop, It doesn't resemble anything us mere mortals can get our hands on, just so you know. As a matter of fact, I showed up at the NAMBA time trials yesterday ready to set the P-OPC tunnel record with my rather fast running VS-1/UL-1 tunnel, and there was Mr. Buass grinning at with me with his well prepared fleet. With essentially the same setup [other than prop], Brian was a good 6 mph faster than my VS-1, which unexpectedly developed all kinds of outdrive issues culminating in a terminal servo malfunction.
    So the guy can create one badass prop is that it?....

So pretty much any Noob getting into the sport of RC boats can't buy the UL-1... swap to a Grim prop or nice Octura and run 59mph.

LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

So pretty much any Noob getting into the sport of RC boats can't buy the UL-1... swap to a Grim prop or nice Octura and run 59mph.

Nate, While I honestly can't fathom where you're going with this, please consider the following :

Brian's 59 & 65 mph passes were made through the SAW traps.

A 60 mph SAW pass takes approximately 3.75 seconds.

If the noob[sic] wants to make 3.75 second runs there are bolt-on Grim or Octura props that can make it happen.

There will, however, be some downsides to this

If you would read my earlier post I posted which prop it was

ignore list?

Here it is...MODIFIED Octura 2047, but be careful or you will pop a cap. It would be good idea to add extra capacitors before using large props (larger than 40mm).
    My bad, Calm down Detox lol.

K got ya.
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Well I have another short video, This is were Im at so far.

When I got to the lake and had everything ready...I started running the boat out to the middle of the lake and all the suddon I hear a thud..lol

I must have hit a damn turtle!!

Well it bent my Speedmaster just a bit, then chopped off the tips of my prop,

I was a bit mad but still got 2 passes in, I belive it has way more in her but the prop was a bummer...

I need an x445 then I think it will see 55mph...

Ill know tUESEDAY for shure when I pick up the GPS from the post office...

Here it is.. First pass I was on and off half throttle playin around, second pass was beautiful!!!

LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me out here ] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but develops all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.
    Whatever !
    I could not have said it better Tony

Douggie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast