Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ☼ WANTED → Expert woodworking services please ← ☼

Default ☼ WANTED → Expert woodworking services please ← ☼

I am in need of someone with the facilities, and the desire to duplicate my Hydrofoil wings out of hardwood. I have had these sitting on the shelf too long. I have tried other options to remake the wings, but I simply don't have the tools to do so.
    If anyone would like to remake these wings for me, I'll gladly mail these to you for ease of duplication.
    Let me know an estimate and we can go from there.

♫ Thanks for your time ♫

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 06-08-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

No one with woodworking expertise?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Okay, no duplication? How about repair these for me then?

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Let me know an estimate and we can go from there.

Diego - I am assuming that they are metal to start with. I don't think that wood, even hard wood, would have enough strength to hold up at the joints.

BTW ... how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

why not make them from balsa and then glass them? glassing isnt a big deal once you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Diego - I am assuming that they are metal to start with. I don't think that wood, even hard wood, would have enough strength to hold up at the joints.

They are hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by shockerman80 View Post
    why not make them from balsa and then glass them? glassing isnt a big deal once you get the hang of it.
    I think that Balsa will be too fragile, even if they are glassed

Thanks for the reply!

Is it a shelf queen or a boat that you run? Any idea on what type of wood they are made of? I'm a finish carpenter so this is a project I may be interested in.

She's been a shelf queen, but she was a runner before I got her. I want to get her running again. I don't know the type of wood other than "hardwood"
    The model is made by Hegi.

...Guys, this is where Diegoboy is going with his project...maybe...? I think it will be cool to have them fixed....

it shouldnt be a huge job to do its just cutting the angles right that would be a pain.

It seems very doable. The way the joints are done is actually a very strong connection. Its amazing how strong wood glue with the right dowel or biscuit can be. A lot of the cabinets and entertainment centers I build don't have a nail or screw in them.
    Is this boat still produced, if so have looked into getting the pieces from them. If those get repaired or new one built glassing them is a good idea for added stregth and protection from the water.

I made some out of brass. Used brass sheeting and tubing, the oval kind. I bent the sheeting and the crease made the trailing edge, then solder (I used a blow torch) the bottom to the tube and then the top. I also made some curvature in the upper half of the bent over sheet so when it was soldered onto the tube it was a pretty nice airfoil. It was a small exercise in patience, but actually really fun and not too hard. I may be able to replicate them later this fall/winter if you are not in a big rush. I may just make two sets and keep one for my shelf non-queen.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

other option is to cut a slot in the bottom of the foil all the way around and epoxy a heavy gauge wire into the grove then fill it with micro ballons or bondo icing. that would really strengthin it up

here is sketch of what I was describing...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post

Here's 2 pics of how each joint is done. This joint was the weakest, so I seperated it a bit for the pics.

I thought about this recently...
    Could one take a wooden heli main rotor blade, flatten one side with a big sander, and assemble them to looke like what I need??

Danny, have you though about duplicating it in brass and brazing it together ?
    HPR115 x2 ,Dark Horse Shovel, Delta Force CyberStorm, Delta Force Sniper 23-RTR:

I did, but i think it'll be too heavy for it.

What about carbon fiber?Could'nt you make one out of carbon fiber sheeting and rods?

Quote Originally Posted by hydromaddicted View Post
    What about carbon fiber?Could'nt you make one out of carbon fiber sheeting and rods?
    I think your on to something..What if the rods were light aluminum (coathanger) and you made up a nice wire frame .....add tiny gusset plates at weak impact joints and then carbon fiber?

SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Danny,

Foam core with either carbon or fiber glass might be an option?? The only thing is I would strongly suggest vacumm bagging and heat cure for strength.
    HPR115 x2 ,Dark Horse Shovel, Delta Force CyberStorm, Delta Force Sniper 23-RTR:

Can anyone help me before I give up?

how big are they? length width height

The front wing is made up of 4 sections of 3-5/8" long pieces. Each wing piece is 2" front to back.

The rear wing is made up of 3 sections, the two outer sections are 4-7/8" long each and the center section is 3-7/8" long. All are 2" front to back

The thickest part of the airfoil shape is 1/4".

Anyone willing to help, I'd be more than happy to ship the wings to you and pay for your time/material/shipping back to me
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 03-09-2011 at 08:40 PM.

They're warped. that would just copy the defects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast