Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UL-1's Sponson AOA (4 degrees)

Default the FINAL SOLUTION !

Keith, I applaud your efforts to get the UL-1 performing correctly. Modding RTR's are a valuable learning tool, and I'm sure many of us will profit from your work. I've got mine running acceptably with the SV-27 motor & the G-10 pads & splayed packs. I was one of the first people to get one, and the first [ to my knowledge] to experience & report the fin problem & subsequent fix. But I'm moving on, now that the UL-1 has whetted my appetite for hydros. Witness my next project, a
    30"nitro that's been gutted & ready for the install of 1515 1Y power.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

With strut bottom set 1 5/16" below transom AOA is slightly under 2 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Witness my next project, a
    30"nitro that's been gutted & ready for the install of 1515 1Y power.
    Thanks, FYI I have a Phil Thomas SS21 hull on order I hope it meets my expectations.

I was a day away from ordering a PT myself when this deal came along [ Mr. Pachmeyer gutted the interior & CF'd the inside.] For 110 bucks I had to jump on it ! I'm sure , with your obvious skills the PT's gonna' rock.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Propperchopper, What is the AOA of your new hull? I bet it's less that 4 degrees. Maybe you can post a side shot of hull resting on setup board?

There's no strut as yet, so I can't really tell, BUT eyeballing it I'll say It's WAY less than 4 degrees. There's also considerable dihedral which predicts some decent cornering. I'll have to work the sponson bottoms some to get them " blueprinted".
    Unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving so I really can't start for at least 2 weeks, + my 2 1515 1Y's are at Nue for some "refreshing"

I applied Krylon White primer then sanded. I will apply White Krylon finish coat to sponson area only.

Letting White Krylon bake in the sun. I will try to get video this evening.

Keith, for what it's worth, I just spent a full day at the NAMBA Dist. 19 time trials with some of the fastest rigger pilots there are, and I gleaned that sponson angle is ALL important. Good luck with your mods Bro, looks like you're on the right track, and do post the results

Sorry... no video. Low reservoir level, windy conditions, and weeds prevented a good test, but I could tell that the hull is more stable than before. I will try again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Sorry... no video. Low reservoir level, windy conditions, and weeds prevented a good test, but I could tell that the hull is more stable than before. I will try again soon.

I agree with PropChop,
    I just ordered one of these (pic). I guess I am just not the drive that I thought I could be. I will still play with the UL-1 to have fun, but as PC said; it is limited. I am not sure just which motor I will put in it just yet (learning), but as an old 1320' guy, this may be my boat.

Bottom line here is... look at the sponson AOA' kinda looks like where you are headed.

Good luck my friend...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob, that boat is GORGEOUS ! Gotta' hear more about it when you start your build.

Fancy looking rig Bob. What are the details?

It is a rigger design that can be set up for circle or SAW, but you most likely knew that.

I have a very good friend who is visiting family and friends in Germany. He is not far from Kelheim where these are made. He said he will see if he can pick one up while there and ship it to me.

If this fails, I will be destined to order one from the US which most likely will take much longer.

I am hoping to get a lot of advice on the build and take my time. Being new at this, I don't want to screw it up.

In the meantime, I am still playing with the UL-1.

Default batteries in sponsons

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Anxious to hear your ridepad-mod results. I'm testing my theory that the wobble can be reduced by spreading the battery weight further outward to move the roll center outward & at the same time getting the CG a little forward, which I believe will keep the nose better planted. I hope youu don't mind me intruding on this AOA thread, but we're both striving to get similar results.
    Hi,

I was considering spreading my batteries out as well.
    Can you tell me how you hold them in place & if there is sprayed foam in the sponsons to stop them from moving around.
    At this moment my UL1 runs with the left sponson completley out of the water so i want to settle it down.

Thanks

JR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12