Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: King Of Shaves C1 Brushless!

Default venom group bad luck

I have never have never ordered anything from them.And I am sorry for your missfortune I was just passing on info.

Every company has these unfortunate customer servce issues and we are not immune to them either. We do have a great reputation for customer support & service but unfortunately the squeeky wheel gets all the attention and its the only thing everyone keys in on and hears. Not every single product off a production line cranking out thousands of units is perfect and we expect a defective rate. That is what the Customer Service Department is for to handle that percentage of Defects that can get past the QC checks.
    We want your experience with us to be a good one.
    That being said we are all adults here and communication is a two way street. There is a level of responsibilty on the part of the customer/operator in the Hobby level to go over their RC vehicle and check it for any issues. We are all operating a vehicle that can cause damage or personal injury. If there is an issue with a product you really should contact us right away because if you try and fix it you may void any warranty that could have replaced it for you. Its just better to check first than be sorry later. Its easy and simple to do.

We did have a couple employees in Customer Service that ended up falling short of our expectations...they are no longer with us. They may have mishandled your claims in the past and I'm not making excuses for them but we have taken measures to improve and correct past issues.
    We did change our Lipo labeling to comply with mandatory government regulations on shipping of batteries. At that time if you had an exchange or if you had purchased batteries you would have noticed the change. In some cases we could change the label and in others we dropped the product. In addition we revamped our entire Lipo line and we have expanded it to include more high capacity packs and higher C rated packs.

While we are on the subject of Venom Lipos I just want to mention that I have done the majority of Lipo testing here or have overseen it and I have established the protocols and we have tested pretty much all the batteries that are made in the world. What we sell is the best that you can afford for the hobby and we are confident to put our packs to the test with any brand. Yes there are less expensive packs to buy but you get what you pay for. Our packs deliver the power and capacity they advertise. We have discharged packs to the limit to prove this and the results are +/- 95% capacity discharge at Max C rates while maintaining a safe temperature. I dont suggest you try this stress test on your packs as we are willing to destroy them in testing but it proves a point. These are quality Lipo packs. There are a lot of inflated claims and fantastic numbers out there and I'm pleased to say we are not a part of that and our product line shows this. We do not have huge C ratings on our packs in fact they seem conservative but they are real.

Sorry for the book guys but if you have any questions or concerns you can reach me here and I'll do what I can to help you.

Chris Nicastro
    Director of R&D
    Venom Group Intl.
    USA
    VENOM RACING R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
    That being said we are all adults here
    You are making one heck of an assumption with that statement

Otherwise, nicely stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post
    Now that I am back to a decent internet connection, I thought I'd post pics of the motor.
    Soooo venom, where is this mans motor?

Hey chris I don't know if you read the reply to my first message I was just trying to help with info! Not product or company bashing.This was my first attempt at communication on this site and if I am going to be attacked for trying to pass on helpful info on the new king boat and where to find it maybe I"ll let you handle it? While everybody takes their hard earn money and buys something else.So once agin I am sorry for anyones misfortune and hopefully I will not get hit from all sides.again
    just trying to pass on what I thougt would be helpful info!

Drag Boat Bob if you would like to contact me I will be happy to help you sort out your motor replacement.

Chris
    VENOM RACING R&D

Quote Originally Posted by flacat View Post
    Hey chris I don't know if you read the reply to my first message I was just trying to help with info! Not product or company bashing.This was my first attempt at communication on this site and if I am going to be attacked for trying to pass on helpful info on the new king boat and where to find it maybe I"ll let you handle it? While everybody takes their hard earn money and buys something else.So once agin I am sorry for anyones misfortune and hopefully I will not get hit from all sides.again
    just trying to pass on what I thougt would be helpful info!
    Hey no harm/foul and I'm not pointing any fingers. I just want to make a simple and short statement and move forward wth supporting our product. As a company we have to set our stance on certain things so we are all on the same page.

Chris
    VENOM RACING R&D

Ive been asked what class does the C1 EKOS qualify for. Looking at the NAMBA rule book, http://www.namba.com/content/library...a_rulebook.pdf , I would have to say that it qualifies for classes P and Q in Offshore Electrics, see section 28 page 10. If there is an official among us here maybe he can look it over and verify that.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
    Drag Boat Bob if you would like to contact me I will be happy to help you sort out your motor replacement.

Chris
    PM sent...

OK thanks Bob.

For IMPBA it looks like the EKOS qualifies under Fast Electrics class P & Q as a "Tunnel Hull". Again if you plan to race please see/email/call an official and make sure your race legal before you get all up and ready to go.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Thanks Chris for explaning the change in the lipo labeling. and sorry for the past post . and I will look at venom again in the near furture
    Bob Big

No problem Bob, thanks for keeping an open mind.

Chris
    VENOM RACING R&D

Default Venom Lipos

Venom,

How does your "recommended" 5400mah 11.1v lipo fit in the EKOS?

According to your website the dimensions are: 42.3 x 135 x 40mm. By my measurements the max height allowable is 34.9mm.

Are you modifying something? or is the website in error on physical dimensions?

Thats my pack of choice for good run times and speed. I'm not sure about your measurements but two packs fit fine in the the hull no problem.
    VENOM RACING R&D

anyone else with one of these nice looking cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    anyone else with one of these nice looking cats?
    Let's see...

nguy0951 (on RCU) lost a drive line on the 1st or 2nd run, so he is down.
    PerformanceTurbo/NitroVal lost a drive line also, so he is down.
    Me; lost port side motor, so I'm down.

That leaves Jeff Wohlt that I know of.

What's up Jeff, how you doing???

snapped cables? loosened set screws? That motor failure is a total bummer though man. Are they gonna hook you up? I almost took the plunge on one of these. I think i'll still hold off a bit to see how this boat pans out in the future.

Let's see...

What do you mean by "lost a drive line" (nguy0951)
    Ditto for PerformanceTurbo...
    What happened to your port side motor?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Let's see...

bugger..
    any ideas what is causing the drive line to go by by?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    snapped cables? loosened set screws? That motor failure is a total bummer though man. Are they gonna hook you up? I almost took the plunge on one of these. I think i'll still hold off a bit to see how this boat pans out in the future.
    Snapped cables?! Loosened screws?!
    How can that be a complain?! Don't you check your setup prior to use?
    Why do you expect a boat to come out of the box and run like it was setup by you and
    not have any type of failures?
    Sorry guys, this is the users' responsibility IMO... not trying to pull either way but it's just a check prior to launch, you don't see air and car guys just powering up and going to town, why should a boat be any different?

Now a motor blowing is another story, that could be anything... warranty should correct that IF a huge prop was not used instead, once you start using monster props, you are on your own.
    Again, just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    bugger..
    any ideas what is causing the drive line to go by by?
    with how many cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    with how many cells?

I have no Idea, not my broken boat..

Actually the design is a good one. The lock collar between the flex shaft and the motor shaft has 4 set screws. Two on the motor side and two on the flex shaft side, each set 180 degrees apart.

Unfortunately these set screws are not holding. It could be the result of not enough threadlock, or they need to be checked before each run... not sure.

In Venom's manual it states to use threadlock on these. I did, but one run doesn't really tell anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    What do you mean by "lost a drive line" (nguy0951)
    Ditto for PerformanceTurbo...
    What happened to your port side motor?
    Take a look at the pictures a few posts back (maiden voyage on 3s):
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/for...&postcount=221

Yup, I lost my starboard flex shaft and prop on my last outing. It could have been any number of things. I did go over every screw (especially the driveline screws) after hearing what happened to nguy0951. I did remove the cables a number of times to grease them ever 3rd run, and used loctite on the set screws in the collar. When I checked the screws in the collor that lost the flex shaft, they were still tight. My only conclusion is the direction the flex shaft is threaded. The centrifugal force from the spinning motor may have "unthreaded" the flex shaft from the collar, if that makes any sense. Nonetheless, I would reccomend everyone who gets one of these boats to put some sort of fail safe on their flex shafts- maybe a piece of fuel tubing, some bailing wire, a lock collar, etc. There is enough room between the collor and stuffing tube to put something there..

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post
    Yup, I lost my starboard flex shaft and prop on my last outing. It could have been any number of things. I did go over every screw (especially the driveline screws) after hearing what happened to nguy0951. I did remove the cables a number of times to grease them ever 3rd run, and used loctite on the set screws in the collar. When I checked the screws in the collor that lost the flex shaft, they were still tight. My only conclusion is the direction the flex shaft is threaded. The centrifugal force from the spinning motor may have "unthreaded" the flex shaft from the collar, if that makes any sense. Nonetheless, I would reccomend everyone who gets one of these boats to put some sort of fail safe on their flex shafts- maybe a piece of fuel tubing, some bailing wire, a lock collar, etc. There is enough room between the collor and stuffing tube to put something there..
    Actually the design is a good one. The lock collar between the flex shaft and the motor shaft has 4 set screws. Two on the motor side and two on the flex shaft side, each set 180 degrees apart.
    Unfortunately these set screws are not holding. It could be the result of not enough threadlock, or they need to be checked before each run... not sure.
    In Venom's manual it states to use threadlock on these. I did, but one run doesn't really tell anything.
    Take a look at the pictures a few posts back (maiden voyage on 3s):
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/for...&postcount=221
    A couple f things... in the case of the motor... ouch... there was some good heat involved, did you upgrade the props prior to the burn?

About the "grub lock" type coupler... I have had many issues with that kind of coupler, I use nothing but collet type now... on the other hand there are people who go about their lives w/o a hinge using grubs... I am just not one of them anymore.
    BTW, I'll have a few couplers for sale, will post them once I organize the box, let me know if there is a size you are looking for.

PS: unscrewing the flex sounds VERY plausible to me.

UB,
    My motor meltdown occurred on the maiden voyage with the stock plastic props. My GPS speed was 33.9 mph (on 3s). I put back 1775/1769 mah in the MA 5250's, so I wasn't running for an extended period.

I believe the reason that they went with that type of coupler is the tight space. There is enough room for a collet type coupler, but getting a couple of wrenches on it would be a stretch.

The drawback to their coupler is the extremely small set screws. They use the smallest allen wrench in my set. It is difficult to get any torque on them, not to mention you can only move the wrench a very small distance before having to remove/reinstall it again.

I may be interested in a couple of couplers (say that 10 times). The motor shaft is 4mm and the flex looks to be the same. The coupler is a perfect cylinder so I think that both ends are the same. I am only interested in a replacement if the set screws are larger.

I may just go a different route altogether. I am thinking about replacing both motors, as there is no stock for replacement of my motor. Any ideas on motors? For now I want to keep the mounts/etc. so it would have to be something in the 380 size. However, I am open to anything.

What kind of speeds do you want out of her?
    1515/1.5D on 4s for SAW passes was what Jay T. was using this last time (I believe)

Maybe a 1515/2D on 4s for more extended runs

This is all based on a single motor scenario... with dual motors I am not sure since I don't know how much room there is to place the motors... I hope it helps.

Neu makes the 1100 series of motors which are basically 380 size..

If I ever get this hull, which I probably will, it'll be a single motor, I don't wanna deal with the counter-rotating props issue and probably the lack of room to handle the motors in the sponsons...
    It looks like this hull talks the talk and walks the walk...

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast