Thread: Radio

Default Radio

Well i am putting my boat together and i need to find a radio system. Some of the ones i have are both AM or FM, so whihc would be better? Eventually i want to buy this:http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=937

FM is generally less susceptible to interference.

Before you buy this 2.4ghz check first if can be used in boats especially from someone that already has it. Some 2.4ghz do not perform well in boats.
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Keep in mind, if your boat has carbon fiber in it, it may scatter the 2.4ghz signal and cause issues for you. Sometimes this can be avoided by running the antenna outside of the boat.

Also, there are some that have issues with 2.4ghz when they operate a boat at water level. Depending on your pond, you may be better off to stand higher on the shore in order to avoid some of these issues.

Just some things to keep in mind.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Ok, i will probably use my 75mhz airtronics cx2p fm radio.

Do the FM have the same problems as the 2.4 with the operation at water level?

No, but they are more likely to have problems from on-board equipment noise. AM is very bad at that, FM is way better, and 2.4 is essentially immune from it.

If you mount your 2.4 antenna so that it's up high (ie, put it in a 6" antenna tube) then it works great. Darin Jordan is running his Spektrum DX3 with SR3100's with no range problems. I have run both SR3000 and SR3100 to 750' with my DX3, and Spektrum has a note on their website that they're working on a marine-specific system.

Done correctly, 2.4 is the way to go. Done incorrectly ANY of them will fail you.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

I use a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz with the Rx antennae laying down in the hull and I have no issues at all. Good looooong range and crisp fast response! I don't have any CF in my hull though, but if there is any CF, just protrude the antennae...

I just recently upgraded my radio from an AM to a futaba 3pm 2.4 I've had no problems at all. The hull is completely lined with CF so I have a small external antenna. No glitches, better range, and more responsive.

I've run my FASST system in a carbon boat (even the receiver tray is CF) and with the antenna outside the boat I have as much range as I need. I have not tested the max range, but I can drive anywhere I want on a 1/6th mile oval race course without problems - and that includes WAY out in lane 42......