Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etti 150 getting hot, but why?

Jesse, I will write Dee and find out about the cooling. That is hot but the shutting down issue needs adressing. As far as I know these are the newest he has but will confirm and ask him why so hot. Prop is pretty big but you also need to air it out and run full throttle if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I'm running the Etti 150 (no BEC) in a Titan 33. 1515 1y, X640. Also curious about board temp versus cap temp. Running 4s2p 4500, motor and batteries are in the 130's Large caps running mid 150's. Thats shooting right on one of the large caps with no shrink wrap. Board is in the 120s. Am I stressing the ESC?
    I hope not cause that sounds just like mine.

My board is usually 110-130 deg f and my caps run 20-30 deg hotter. From what you guys are saying that is perfectly ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Prop is pretty big but you also need to air it out and run full throttle if you can.
    Jeff is right,these brushless esc's dont like running less than full throttle,more heat will be produced at lower throttle.As you are using a small pond it looked like most of your running was as such.
    My Etti gets hot too running the same on a crazy fast setup which cant be run fast for long periods.
    Perhaps the Etti is quite extreme in this area,my converted watercooled Kontronic esc.runs very cool at all throttle ranges,but is designed as such.
    Brod...

Shorten your battery and ETTI esc wires they are to long .

My Tsunami has a KB45XL8 , 6s Zippy H 5000mah lipo , 45mm K prop , old ETTI 125amp 2-7s lipo version , everything getting warm but not HOT , speed 85km/h by Gecko 101 gps.

I keep the wires very short from the lipo tot the ESC after the ESC to the motor it doesnt matter but keeping it short before the ESC very is important , maybe the old ETTI version can handle it better then de new ones thats why ETTI maybe came up with the powerbanks .

Michiel.
    Last edited by focused; 05-21-2009 at 04:52 AM.
    ----------------------

Cool. I agree air it out, have been working on that one. Am pretty limited on battery placement, but can still work with strut angle.

so it is sounding like people think a 42mm prop is the biggest I should go on this?

Right now I have one water line going ONLY to the ESC. The motor was not even 100F, so to see if I needed cooler water to cool the ETTI, I tried just running it through the ESC. I am thinking possibly combination of 1) poor cooling, 2) prop size and 3) small pond/lots of throttling may have contributed to the tendency for this ESC to run hot.

I am thinking of making a water cooled base and thermal epoxying it down, so the whole board is in contact with cooling, not just one edge. To me one of the weak points of this ESC.

I will try again this morning with X642, one batt, and higher strut angle. This ought to test the items above, then see if I can keep at full throttle during the run.

Great thread, thanks guys. These new products deserve the scrutiny we put them through. If they survive here, then its a good bet they are worthy products.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Boat appeared stable , but wet. Running the boat tight/wet like that can heat things up on a small pond like that. Lots of on/off throttle is a bad thing also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12