Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etti 150 getting hot, but why?

Default Etti 150 getting hot, but why?

Ok, now an application question. I just brought my DF33 mono in from a 2-3 min test run and the Etti 150 was 160F and shutting down. The set up was my LOW DRAW test run:

Neu 1521/1.5D, 4S2P 4800 mah (9600 total) and a..... X442 prop!?!? I did maybe 6 laps in our maybe 70 yard pond, she was probably 35+ mph. But I don't get why it was getting hot so fast? The motor was not even 80F....

Yes water cooling, yes it is the BEC version, yes cable was well lubed and spinning freely, yes the motor was aligned perfectly with the stuffing tube, no I didn't have an external rx battery (I have done that before) .....

Is it a function of running 4S in parallel? What am I missing? Could the darn thing be programmed wrong? I found it far from plug and play.

Is there a way to reset it and start over?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Ok, now an application question. I just brought my DF33 mono in from a 2-3 min test run and the Etti 150 was 160F and shutting down. The set up was my LOW DRAW test run:

Neu 1521/1.5D, 4S2P 4800 mah (9600 total) and a..... X442 prop!?!? I did maybe 6 laps in our maybe 70 yard pond, she was probably 35+ mph. But I don't get why it was getting hot so fast? The motor was not even 80F....

Yes water cooling, yes it is the BEC version, yes cable was well lubed and spinning freely, yes the motor was aligned perfectly with the stuffing tube, no I didn't have an external rx battery (I have done that before) .....

Is it a function of running 4S in parallel? What am I missing? Could the darn thing be programmed wrong? I found it far from plug and play.

Is there a way to reset it and start over?
    i would say programming, no reset just reprogram it
    Adrian

Make sure your timing is set at low, or normal.

I reprogrammed it for lowest timing possible, lowest KV, 4S, still damn hot after <1min running. Does this sound like a saw setup?
    New 1521 1.5D (1900 kv), 4S2P (4800 mah, 25C each), X646 prop and this Etti 150 with BEC...

If this does not sound saw, then could somebody send me a copy of their instructions (mine got torn on the last option, kv setting). Here is how I tried to set it up (not sure if it really is programmed):
    1. Battery type: 4 cells
    2. Throttle option: low starting power (it actually shot out of the hole like it was full throttle)
    3. Braking: no braking
    4: rotor rotation option: 1 I assume it is a typo and it means counterclockwise
    5: Timing: 2deg
    6: PWM options: 8K

I did notice that mine has one cooling tube, while the picture on OFE has two... should it have two?

Thanks, I am sure these are good, just need to figger em out.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Is that temp on the caps or the board, I always check both but I'm not sure what the max should be for each.

I reprogrammed it for lowest timing possible, lowest KV, 4S, still damn hot after <1min running. Does this sound like a saw setup?
    New 1521 1.5D (1900 kv), 4S2P (4800 mah, 25C each), X646 prop and this Etti 150 with BEC...

If this does not sound saw, then could somebody send me a copy of their instructions (mine got torn on the last option, kv setting). Here is how I tried to set it up (not sure if it really is programmed):
    1. Battery type: 4 cells
    2. Throttle option: low starting power (it actually shot out of the hole like it was full throttle)
    4: rotor rotation option: 1 I assume it is a typo and it means counterclockwise

I did notice that mine has one cooling tube, while the picture on OFE has two... should it have two?

Thanks, I am sure these are good, just need to figger em out.
    I think that setup should be fine I run
    KB45 8Xl 1600 Kv
    6S/4500 20c 1P
    Abc H5 similar to X655
    Etti 150 race no bec

1. Battery type: 6 cells
    4: rotor rotation option: 1

after 2 1/2 3 minutes runs esc is just warm
    (I did notice that mine has one cooling tube, while the picture on OFE has two... should it have two?) should have two cooling tubes can you put a picture up ?

How wet is it running?

medium, and real wet on the turns. Granted it is a small pond, and I have to turn a lot, but 30 seconds to get 150F? I am not encouraged to go to a bigger pond where I can let it hang out, until I am sure it won't fry in 2 minutes flat.

If I have it programmed right, then this thing needs serious plumbing to water cool it...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

medium, and real wet on the turns. Granted it is a small pond, and I have to turn a lot, but 30 seconds to get 150F? I am not encouraged to go to a bigger pond where I can let it hang out, until I am sure it won't fry in 2 minutes flat.

If I have it programmed right, then this thing needs serious plumbing to water cool it...
    Shouldn’t get that hot i have single water pickup going into the motor first then in the esc you have a problem there

The caps are the hottest. here are some pics of the ESC and general innards set up. If this is not how it should be, I think I know who to go to.

I have a vid of the session uploading will post shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

The caps are the hottest. here are some pics of the ESC and general innards set up. If this is not how it should be, I think I know who to go to.

I have a vid of the session uploading will post shortly.
    Where did you buy the esc from you can see here that it does have one on each side of the esc
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...c-race-150-BEC

I got mine from Jeff, I need to check with him to see what to do.... Still, not convinced that is only problem.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Only one cooling tube,,,weird, mine has two. I wonder how that happened??

The layout looks similar to mine. Does that etti just have cooling pass through on one side, Its on both sides of mine. Don't know how much that matters.
    Its seems that it would be difficult to get it to run dry at 35mph with this size hull. I actually got mine to 56mph yesterday (personal best), but it took some fine tuning to get it there. These are great hulls.

Dang, 56 is respectable. I have a pair of 5S waiting for me to get this ESC to chill out. Still not sure what to do....
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Is that a typo in the description where it says x656 should it say x646. Even an x646 seems like a lot. I run 4s on an 8XL with both either x640 and x636 and rarely see temps about 120-130. It looks like it is running fine in the video. What was the temperature of the pond? Warmer water will provide less cooling. Did you see water coming out of the exit nozel?

It usually runs 50-52mph, I just desided to air it out a bit and see what I could get out of it. I don't think I could go that speed with other boats in the water. It was with a 1515 1y 4s2p and an m445

yes typo, X646. I will try some smaller props, especially when I go for 5S. But even on 440 it was getting hot. Next try will be a K45 (lost my X and M445) time for another order from Egneg.

and yes it was peeing fine.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I learned that caps can get veryhot...up to 195 degrees.

Maybe you should also use the ETTI cap board.

I think that is very wise advice. Is it easy to add after the fact?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

How long have you been running this setup?
    HK Genesis, DF Vortex, Baja 5T, Lazer ZX-5 sp, XXX, 8T, P51-D Mustang Shangrila, GP Giant P51-D Mustang, Blade 400 3D, with way too many more to list.

Well the motor mount came in the mail this afternoon and I was able to make three runs before dark (I know people have complained that my pond is too close - 3.7 min walk).
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Do you have two water pickups or is the line split between the motor and ESC?

The caps are 160? or is the hottest spot on the board 160? my hydra 120 comes in at caps around 140-160 board 120ish in my delta with a 8XL. I talked to the guys at castle and they said that those temps are fine. That i should really worry if the caps get over 200. but you say yours is shutting down. that dont sound good. how long till you get it back to shore? i have noticed the caps will cool off a lot faster then everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post
    I talked to the guys at castle and they said that those temps are fine. That i should really worry if the caps get over 200.
    ***caution***..........................JUST A WARNING.........................***caution***

From my own experience, NEVER let the CC ESC's get above 180 as they will go .....I've had two of them go by "gearing up" my vehicles too much. I listened to the guys at CC as well and thats what happened to me.
    HK Genesis, DF Vortex, Baja 5T, Lazer ZX-5 sp, XXX, 8T, P51-D Mustang Shangrila, GP Giant P51-D Mustang, Blade 400 3D, with way too many more to list.

I'm running the Etti 150 (no BEC) in a Titan 33. 1515 1y, X640. Also curious about board temp versus cap temp. Running 4s2p 4500, motor and batteries are in the 130's Large caps running mid 150's. Thats shooting right on one of the large caps with no shrink wrap. Board is in the 120s. Am I stressing the ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I'm running the Etti 150 (no BEC) in a Titan 33. 1515 1y, X640. Also curious about board temp versus cap temp. Running 4s2p 4500, motor and batteries are in the 130's Large caps running mid 150's. Thats shooting right on one of the large caps with no shrink wrap. Board is in the 120s. Am I stressing the ESC?
    With the experience I have with CC, NO. I typically run at 160-165

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack-sven View Post
    ***caution***..........................JUST A WARNING.........................***caution***

From my own experience, NEVER let the CC ESC's get above 180 as they will go .....I've had two of them go by "gearing up" my vehicles too much. I listened to the guys at CC as well and thats what happened to me.

ya i thought the same thing i don't like them getting over 160. they told me that they are rated up to 225.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast