Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UL-1 Power system upgrade arrived!

Default UL-1 Power system upgrade arrived!

The power system upgrade for my UL-1 arrived today.
    Motor: Medusa Research 36-60-2200
    ESC: Etti 150 opto

Eagle Tree test data coming soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The small Grimracer L38 x 55 prop would be a good prop to start testing with. Be careful Alvinsmith burned up the ETTI controller in his UL-1. Do not use a lot of ON/OFF throttle.

Thanks for the heads up about the Etti. I hope it is beafer than that Perhaps it was the BEC that burned up with his. I intend to use an external BEC with mine as I purchased the higher volt version that does not have an internal BEC. If it does burn up with less than full throttle I know better than to buy an Etti again.
    The first prop I intend to test is a grimracer L40x57... it's the smallest I have at the moment. I plan to test an Octura x440/3 blade also, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
    Dude my etti was the 150 non bec and it didn't last 4 minutes. I would try a xl motor with the 120, then you should be safe.
    The capacitor upgrade should help.

The L40 X 57/3 would be cool to test also. Let us know.

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
    Dude my etti was the 150 non bec and it didn't last 4 minutes. I would try a xl motor with the 120, then you should be safe

What a load of C#*p nothing wrond with the Etti 150 i have been running one with a KB458xl 6s m445 & abc H5 prop no problem that esc will handle your app no problems just start with a small prop x442
    The caps bank is a good insurance anyways

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    The power system upgrade for my UL-1 arrived today.
    Motor: Medusa Research 36-60-2200
    ESC: Etti 150 opto

Eagle Tree test data coming soon!
    Your Eagle Tree data might come in pretty useful for this thread.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=7803

can't wait to see your results.

Wow! Looks like you started quite a discussion there

Wow! Looks like you started quite a discussion there
    Ya, all thanks to you amigo!! We'll see what happens, now get out there and prove those NEU fanatics wrong with that medusa and your eagle tree data thingy..... or come really really close.

Default Completed Medusa 36-60-2200 install

I finished installing the new power system this afternoon. Everything seems to be functioning properly.

Changes I made from the stock configuration include…
    -----------------
    -An external 6 volt ParkBEC to power the Rx and servo.

-Installed a Medusa 36-60-2200 motor coupled with an OSE aftermarket UL-1 water jacket. Seems to fit fine.

-Replaced the stock collet with a Kintec 3 piece collet adapter. I kept the stock collet with the stock motor for ease of swapping motors back and forth.

-Installed a 5mm thrust bearing between the motor and the collet.

- Replaced the stock ESC with an ETTI 150 ESC
    -------------

Things I noticed during the installation….
    The motor shaft sticks out a bit from the end of the motor can. Shown in pic below. I need to keep the wires and lipos clear of this. I may make a cover.

The front of the motor shaft hit the end of the collet, preventing me from closing the gap between the motor, thrust bearing, and collet. I had to add 3 washers to the outside of the thrust bearing to take up the extra space between the motor and collet. No biggy. Pic of installed thrust bearing below.

I also had to trim 3/32” off of the flex cable to get the proper clearance between the drive dog and the back of the strut.

Looks good man!
    cant wait for the video..

I finished installing the new power system this afternoon. Everything seems to be functioning properly.

Changes I made from the stock configuration include…
    -----------------
    -An external 6 volt ParkBEC to power the Rx and servo.

-Installed a Medusa 36-60-2200 motor coupled with an OSE aftermarket UL-1 water jacket. Seems to fit fine.

-Replaced the stock collet with a Kintec 3 piece collet adapter. I kept the stock collet with the stock motor for ease of swapping motors back and forth.

-Installed a 5mm thrust bearing between the motor and the collet.

- Replaced the stock ESC with an ETTI 150 ESC
    -------------

Things I noticed during the installation….
    The motor shaft sticks out a bit from the end of the motor can. Shown in pic below. I need to keep the wires and lipos clear of this. I may make a cover.

The front of the motor shaft hit the end of the collet, preventing me from closing the gap between the motor, thrust bearing, and collet. I had to add 3 washers to the outside of the thrust bearing to take up the extra space between the motor and collet. No biggy. Pic of installed thrust bearing below.

I also had to trim 3/32” off of the flex cable to get the proper clearance between the drive dog and the back of the strut.
    Looks great, can't wait to see the results. You going to start with an M440 or similar?

Thanks!

I have a Grimracer L40x57 3 blade on there right now to test with first. When I get done testing that prop at the various strut depths I plan to test an Octura x440/3 next. It should arrive before the weekend with any luck. I intend to also test a Grim 40x52 3 blade to see how it compares to the x440/3.

And... when I get done with those... just for kicks, I have a Grim L42x66, Octura m445, and a Prather S220 to test

You can also trim the motor shaft off if needed instead of adding washers.

duc, my favorite was the 38X55 for speed out of the turns, speed in the straights, and decent temps. nothing was to hot to melt anything after a 10 minute run. another prop that may be really fun for your setup is an X637 0r X642. The EDDI and new motor should take a 6 series prop if you don't get to big.

will there be video on hand cause I'd really like to see this.. good luck man!!

I think I will order a 38x55 tonight for testing as well. I will talk the wife into manning the video camera when I get a chance to run it.

At Jeff,
    I thought about cutting the shaft, but it seemed like very hard steel, and I only have a dremel

The Octura collet (long version) should fit without cutting shaft.

The dremmel works well on shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    The dremmel works well on shafts.

Yes....I've cut off numerous shafts with mine but get a metal cut off disk...the thin brittle ones that come with the tool will shatter and stick in skin...eyes...etc....don't ask!

Very cool man...I can't wait to hear/see the results!

My first run results with the Medusa 36-60-2200 and Grim L40x57 prop are below.

Strut depth was set at 1 1/8". She was chine walking something fierce... I think I need a smaller prop for this motor. She was still fast as she danced across the lake
    The L38x55 and x440/3 should arrive tomorrow. I going to try tweaking my setup to see if I can eliminate the chine walk with this prop while I wait for the other props to arrive.

Wow...54 mph! I think that is the fastest I have heard of...not including Brian's run.

How was the heat and all that?

54mph....cool man!

Where was that 200+ temp at?

The chine walk may be that fin. More weight up front may help with it.

It's looking like a rain out here for the whole weekend....and I'm just about to bust to try out my new setup....RATS!

Sorry, forgot to label the temp locations...

High Temp A = Motor can
    High Temp B = ESC to Battery bullet connector
    High Temp C = Motor lead bullet connector (205.7 degrees)

I plan to fiddle with the strut and turn fin on the next runs to see if I can reduce the walking. It's going to be awhile before I have the new test props balanced and sharpened anyway, so I might as well see if I can get the L40x57 tweaked better.

Love the stats but how do you feel about the motor in general?

Awesome! 54 mph is fast on the water. Now with the extra KV and the 38X55 I would raise the strut a bit more. The lifter prop's liked the strut at 1" for me, handled better ran cooler at 1" then at 1 1/8". How did she handle in the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Love the stats but how do you feel about the motor in general?
    I like it. This is not my first Medusa motor though. I have them in two of my EDF jets.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Awesome! 54 mph is fast on the water. Now with the extra KV and the 38X55 I would raise the strut a bit more. The lifter prop's liked the strut at 1" for me, handled better ran cooler at 1" then at 1 1/8". How did she handle in the corners?
    It was chine walking everywhere with the L40x57. I think that prop is too much for that level of rpms and the hull.

I think your right, AND maybe even a X637 or X642 int he future? Isn't this sport/hobby fun, constant things to try out and tinker. so many props, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    ... so many props, so little money.
    SOOO many tweaks you could do to your EXISTING prop to find out that it WAS the right one after all!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    SOOO many tweaks you could do to your EXISTING prop to find out that it WAS the right one after all!
    Like??

the mo' knowledge the mo' betta'

Default Octura x440 test

I got around to testing my Octura x440 3 blade prop with the Medusa.
    The best strut depth setting for this prop seemed to be 15/16" below the hull.

In short, it had a much higher average lap speed than the L40x57 prop (43mph avg), but had a 2mph slower top end. Temps, Amps, and Watts were much higher though. As you can see by the increased avg lap speed, it was much more stable on the water than the L40x57.

I may de-tongue the x440 to see if I can squeeze a little more speed out of it.

BTW. The Grim L38x55 was the worst of the 3 props I've tested so far with the Medusa. It was VERY unstable. I tried many different setups, but it didn't help with this prop.

x440 stats/chart below.
    Temp A = Motor Temp
    Temp B = ESC/Battery Bullet connector temp
    TEmp C = Motor lead bullet connector temp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast