Thread: 40mph+rough water=torpedo

Default 40mph+rough water=torpedo

Well went out to run my SV27 with the UL-1 power package and did some tweaks here and there. Did a couple runs with the gps and was at 40mph. So I took the gps out and tried it. The boat would just flip and roll when I punched the throttle. I finally got a run it wide open and the boat dove down and smacked the bottom and cracked the front end open !! I'll have some videos and pictures up tonight.

Nice. Pictures would be good
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Oh i cant wait to see this.

Sounds very entertaining.

Ive got a SV hull if your looking for one..
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

Ok here are some vids. The first one is with the gps in and was clocked at 40mph. The second one is the one that did the damage. I took the gps out and was to light! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2eyMMmjoKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamnHQ4O-EE

Quote Originally Posted by Leskimo85 View Post
    Ok here are some vids. The first one is with the gps in and was clocked at 40mph. The second one is the one that did the damage. I took the gps out and was to light! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2eyMMmjoKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamnHQ4O-EE

Wow 48cf+sv27= sick LOL. I'm running the 45cf and having not as much fun.
    Pro Boat Apache 24 Brushless, Thunder Cat 31
    AquaCraft SV27, AqauCraft UL-1

Haha yea! The cf48 is a blast! ose has them under replacement props for the SV27. The bow is thrashed. I recommend keeping weight up front or it'll just flip like mine was when you punch the throttle.
    So I have to get a new hull. Was thinking of getting something other then the SV27 hull. Any suggestions?

RC boats can be rockets and should be run further offsore at high speeds to avoid the situation that occurred to you but also for safety reasons. Someone standing close to shore could be hit and injured. Not trying to preach but.......Murphy's law is just waiting for a reason to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    RC boats can be rockets and should be run further offsore at high speeds to avoid the situation that occurred to you but also for safety reasons. Someone standing close to shore could be hit and injured. Not trying to preach but.......Murphy's law is just waiting for a reason to happen.
    in this situation it could of been about a 100 yards offshore and still would have happened. It's a real shallow bank for a ways out. The only reason we were running so close was it was flipping over quite often and we were waiting about 10-15 min for it to drift back to shore. No rescue boat yet and water is still about 50deg.

Haha yea! The cf48 is a blast! ose has them under replacement props for the SV27. The bow is thrashed. I recommend keeping weight up front or it'll just flip like mine was when you punch the throttle.
    So I have to get a new hull. Was thinking of getting something other then the SV27 hull. Any suggestions?

Yes Delta Force

Which size do ya think brad? And do you know where I could pick one of these hulls up. Looks like ose is out off stock of the 26 and 29. And I'm thinking the 33 might be a little big for the motor and hardware I have.

If you run in that kind of water all the time you better have a big hull!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    If you run in that kind of water all the time you better have a big hull!
    Haha Yea I know. That's the closest lake to me and it's alway like that. More hull suggestions would be great! I've got about 150 to spend right now.

Which size do ya think brad? And do you know where I could pick one of these hulls up. Looks like ose is out off stock of the 26 and 29. And I'm thinking the 33 might be a little big for the motor and hardware I have.
    Ebay has some nock off for 80 bucks I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Doby, on the button. Even more so if that was a stock AM radio....glitch heaven

Douggie

SV27 + Rough water + Aft CG = Flips

I'll bet your GPS was in front of the motor. Try running your CG at about 8.5 inches from the transom, especially in rough water. Also, how are your trim tabs set??
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    SV27 + Rough water + Aft CG = Flips

I'll bet your GPS was in front of the motor. Try running your CG at about 8.5 inches from the transom, especially in rough water. Also, how are your trim tabs set??
    When I had the gps in the boat it was in front of the motor. When I took the gps out I had moved the lipo batteries up further. With the Carbon 48 and UL-1 setup the boat will flip no mater how far the cg is up. It needs that extra weight.
    And oh yea the tabs are down about 1 deg. Before they were about 5-6 deg down.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Doby, on the button. Even more so if that was a stock AM radio....glitch heaven

Douggie
    I've never had any Glitching problems with the stock radio??

You will learn that AM radios suck.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    You will learn that AM radios suck.

Douggie
    I know AM suck. Been waiting to upgrade to a tatic 2.4 but out of stock. And I haven't had any issue with my AM.

I also fly rc planes and helis and use FM and those are way better then the AM but why switch to an fm when the 2.4 is roughly the same price.

I know AM suck. Been waiting to upgrade to a tatic 2.4 but out of stock. And I haven't had any issue with my AM.

I also fly rc planes and helis and use FM and those are way better then the AM but why switch to an fm when the 2.4 is roughly the same price.
    Not exactly true a quality 2.4ghz is way more expensive. Look at the RX prices. I do use FM and have been looking at 2.4ghz but the cost for 9 boats to change over is too much and plus that most now run 2.4ghz, I feel realtivly calm with my Hitec CRX Spectra, but Hitec have screwed it up with discontinuing the DCX model RX

Douggie

Yea, I've read some of the higher end ground based 2.4 were having trouble running with some boats. And haven't heard to many bad things about the tactic 2.4. I have no idea since I haven't used either one?? And for me only having two boats it makes it easier for me to switch over.

So I just ordered a Aeromarine Titan 29 to replace my SV27. I'm hoping it'll handle choppy water better then the sv27.

Ive been told and have heard that the Titan 29 is a hard boat to set up.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

Quote Originally Posted by z400 View Post
    Ive been told and have heard that the Titan 29 is a hard boat to set up.
    Which part? And how come? This will be my first build from the hull up. So any info about the setup would be great!! And much appreciated!!

Not sure as i dont own any. its just what ive heard.

And it was handling issues
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

Oh Ok. I really haven't heard anything on this hull?? I can't wait to build it.
    What handling issues did you hear about this boat??